Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Fixed]I can't log into my account

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
RedPieDad

[Fixed]I can't log into my account

#1 Post by RedPieDad »

Debian crashed, then after reset it would not allow me to log into my account. I can use the CLI from recovery mode but I'm not sure how to fix this or what exactly caused this. A few minutes before the crash I deleted 2 user accounts and renamed my account using the "rm -rf" command to remove 2 user directories and the "mv" command to rename a third and only user directory. It was working fine. I tried to install an ad block for Firefox I got errors saying Firefox could not install ad on becase it did not have permission to modify a file. I got kicked out my Firefox session and Firefox was deleted somehow. I tried to check my directories then my computer crashed. Any clue what happened? Any helps appreciated.
Last edited by RedPieDad on 2017-12-10 05:36, edited 1 time in total.

Bulkley

Re: I can't log into my account

#2 Post by Bulkley »

RedPieDad wrote:Any clue what happened?
Yeah, you borked it. I'd use a live-CD loaded with a rescue system or even some other distros will do. I have an old Mint that lets me look at what's there. You need to look around and see what the situation is.

Segfault

#3 Post by Segfault »

FYI. The system does not recognize users by their usernames. For system users go by UID (and GID). You can change username manually, it is all in /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow. But you need to know what you are doing.

Bulkley

#4 Post by Bulkley »

This can be time consuming. If you have the time it is worth fixing because you will learn a lot. I once erased my entire /var directory. It took three days to find it. I fixed it by copying a /var directory from a rescue disk which got me up and running.

So, get a large mug of coffee, several sheets of paper and a rescue disk and make notes.

RedPieDad

#5 Post by RedPieDad »

I renamed my user directory back to what it was originally and it works now.

Bulkley

#6 Post by Bulkley »

RedPieDad wrote:I renamed my user directory back to what it was originally and it works now.
Good stuff! That was quick.

debiman

Re: [Fixed]I can't log into my account

#7 Post by debiman »

RedPieDad wrote:Debian crashed, then after reset it would not allow me to log into my account. I can use the CLI from recovery mode but I'm not sure how to fix this or what exactly caused this. A few minutes before the crash I deleted 2 user accounts and renamed my account using the "rm -rf" command to remove 2 user directories and the "mv" command to rename a third and only user directory. It was working fine. I tried to install an ad block for Firefox I got errors saying Firefox could not install ad on becase it did not have permission to modify a file. I got kicked out my Firefox session and Firefox was deleted somehow. I tried to check my directories then my computer crashed. Any clue what happened? Any helps appreciated.
oh my god.
i hope this is not a missiion critical system.
i hope you're "just messing around"?
even so you should start heeding the warnings given to you, e.g. here http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=135537 .

RedPieDad

#8 Post by RedPieDad »

debiman wrote:
RedPieDad wrote:Debian crashed, then after reset it would not allow me to log into my account. I can use the CLI from recovery mode but I'm not sure how to fix this or what exactly caused this. A few minutes before the crash I deleted 2 user accounts and renamed my account using the "rm -rf" command to remove 2 user directories and the "mv" command to rename a third and only user directory. It was working fine. I tried to install an ad block for Firefox I got errors saying Firefox could not install ad on becase it did not have permission to modify a file. I got kicked out my Firefox session and Firefox was deleted somehow. I tried to check my directories then my computer crashed. Any clue what happened? Any helps appreciated.
oh my god.
i hope this is not a missiion critical system.
i hope you're "just messing around"?
even so you should start heeding the warnings given to you, e.g. here http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=135537 .
Why do people like you exist...? Why can't you be polite instead of a sarcastic asshole?

Segfault

#9 Post by Segfault »

RedPieDad wrote:Why do people like you exist...? Why can't you be polite instead of a sarcastic ***?
What? You come here for help and then you start calling names for no reason?

http://forums.debian.net/ucp.php?i=zebr ... =RedPieDad

RedPieDad

#10 Post by RedPieDad »

Segfault wrote:
RedPieDad wrote:Why do people like you exist...? Why can't you be polite instead of a sarcastic ***?
What? You come here for help and then you start calling names for no reason?

http://forums.debian.net/ucp.php?i=zebr ... =RedPieDad
You're clearly controlled by your subconscious need for moral high ground. Act impolite, get reprimanded, get angry. That's you're cycle. You're like a program that loops. I've seen this before. Last comment wins yea?

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#11 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

No.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...