Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED!] Can Not Install Debian After Building New Computer

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
SHSmith

[SOLVED!] Can Not Install Debian After Building New Computer

#1 Post by SHSmith »

Hey all, I just built a new system using the MSI 760GM-P25(FX) mobo, Athlon-FX 4350 CPU, and Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 RAM with nvidia GT520 video card. I boot the system and get no beep code (just the single beep), so all should be good. I boot to the Debian 9.2 Live thumb Drive, and... Sometimes it boots, sometimes the computer just restarts itself. I tried installing to HDD; random reboots. The power supply is a 1000watt, so power shouldn't be a problem. I replaced them bios battery and reset the bios. Still doing it. The CPU is supposed to be compatible with the board, and it sees all the ram. I checked and rechecked the bios to see if M$ has their blocker crap in there and turned on, but I'm not seeing it. The HDD I'm trying to install to had Debian 8 on it, so I tried re-installing that.Same thing. Anyone run across this??? Thanks in advance!!

EDIT - to make sure it wasn't an issue with the power supply, I tried another one of the same power rating -1000w. Same thing.
Last edited by SHSmith on 2017-12-23 08:05, edited 1 time in total.

debiman

Re: Can Not Install Debian After Building New Computer

#2 Post by debiman »

so you can boot into bios, and it recognizes all your devices? good.
next step: try booting ANY operating system, from usb.

am i correctly assuming you'd like to rescue or even reuse the jessie system on the hard drive?

SHSmith

#3 Post by SHSmith »

Thank you much for replying! I have a 32gb Sandisk Cruzer I put the ISO for Debian 9.2 I think it is on it. I set it as the boot device and run the Live. Sometimes it will boot to the kde desktop, sometimes it won't It's very hit or miss.I was thinking this would be a good time to upgrade to 9 but at this point, I just want to get it stable with SOMETHING. I did try an Ubuntu 14LTS drive; when I got to the grub page, I clicked boot ubuntu and it rebooted the computer.

I've been hitting google and the linux sites looking for compatibility issues,etc. Not finding anything so far. I've built several computers over the years and I've never seen anything like this.

elton-w

#4 Post by elton-w »

SHSmith wrote:Hey all, I just built a new system using the MSI 760GM-P25(FX) mobo, Athlon-FX 4350 CPU, and Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 RAM with nvidia GT520 video card. I boot the system and get no beep code (just the single beep), so all should be good. I boot to the Debian 9.2 Live thumb Drive, and... Sometimes it boots, sometimes the computer just restarts itself. I tried installing to HDD; random reboots. The power supply is a 1000watt, so power shouldn't be a problem. I replaced them bios battery and reset the bios. Still doing it. The CPU is supposed to be compatible with the board, and it sees all the ram. I checked and rechecked the bios to see if M$ has their blocker crap in there and turned on, but I'm not seeing it. The HDD I'm trying to install to had Debian 8 on it, so I tried re-installing that.Same thing. Anyone run across this??? Thanks in advance!!

EDIT - to make sure it wasn't an issue with the power supply, I tried another one of the same power rating -1000w. Same thing.
Bearing in mind the following: you did not indicate the current OS on your machine, and that I'm myself a rank "Debian newbie", permit me to offer the following.

This is how I get to boot the correct image:

Fron Windows 8.1 or Windows 10
1. Settings
2. Update and Security
3. Recovery
4. Advanced Settings [reboot required here]
5. Use a device
6. Select: EFI USB [any other device, and you would reboot to the wrong partition / device.]

You should now see the Debian installer menus on your booted media.

HTH, respectfully.

P.S. I have found it quite unnecessary to mess around in your BIOS settings. :!:
Registered Linux User #193975-85134

SHSmith

#5 Post by SHSmith »

There is no OS on it because I can't get it to stay booted long enough to put on on it. The hard drive HAD Debian 8 on it but wouldn't boot it. I put a Debian ISO on a thumb drive and tried to reinstall, but the computer rebooted in the middle of install and trashed the drive. I can't even get the comp to reliably boot from a Debian 9.2 LIVE thumbdrive. I did say all that. Sorry, I'm getting a bit frustrated; I've built several computers in the past 10 years and I've never run across anything like this

The BIOS is a nasty thing but sometimes it is necessary to go into it. For instance, I had to go in and change the boot order so it would boot my thumbdrive before trying to boot the hard drive.Also to check and make sure the system was actually seeing my RAM, the CPU wasn't over heating, etc. I have to visit the dark side occasionally hehehehe

elton-w

#6 Post by elton-w »

SHSmith wrote:There is no OS on it because I can't get it to stay booted long enough to put on on it. The hard drive HAD Debian 8 on it but wouldn't boot it. I put a Debian ISO on a thumb drive and tried to reinstall, but the computer rebooted in the middle of install and trashed the drive. I can't even get the comp to reliably boot from a Debian 9.2 LIVE thumbdrive. I did say all that. Sorry, I'm getting a bit frustrated; I've built several computers in the past 10 years and I've never run across anything like this

The BIOS is a nasty thing but sometimes it is necessary to go into it. For instance, I had to go in and change the boot order so it would boot my thumbdrive before trying to boot the hard drive.Also to check and make sure the system was actually seeing my RAM, the CPU wasn't over heating, etc. I have to visit the dark side occasionally hehehehe
I can well understand your frustration. Sorry that I could not be of assistance. Therefore, I leave it to more experienced hands to guide you.

I hope you get this solved soon, and your day ends on a better note!
Registered Linux User #193975-85134

Segfault

#7 Post by Segfault »

Have you ran memtest86? Have you tried to remove a memory module, and then another? Have you tested the voltages, all of them, with a real voltmeter?

pylkko

#8 Post by pylkko »

Perhaps it is overheating, reaching Junction Temperature and shutting down? Monitor the temperatures also.

SHSmith

#9 Post by SHSmith »

Thank you for your replies! I can't get the computer to stay booted long enough to run a memtest. when the computer goes through its checks, it shows the correct amount of RAM and says it is ok. I check in the bios for hardware problems and this new setup actually runs cooler than the one I replaced. I can't do a voltage test with a meter because someone stole mine and I can't afford to replace it. I have tried running one stick of RAM at a time, and changing slots to see if that made a difference; it didn't. I pulled the RAM out entirely and cleaned the slots to make sure there isn't any interference from dust, etc. I have only the 2 power connectors and the power button plugged into the board. I rechecked the power button connections again to make sure none of them are reversed. Everything seems to be set up right. Even though the RAM (Kingston Hyper-X Fury) is brand new and the computer sees it, recognizes it, and counts it correctly, I'm starting to wonder if maybe the system just doesn't like it...

Segfault

#10 Post by Segfault »

Have you tried downclocking, CPU, RAM. Do you have a spare PSU to try with.

bryanmc

#11 Post by bryanmc »

I'm not sure how accurate MSI's chart is, but the 4350 is not on the list for that mobo...

https://us.msi.com/file/test_report/TR19_24433.pdf

SHSmith

#12 Post by SHSmith »

Ok, I got memtest86 run. It completed with no errors

Segfault

#13 Post by Segfault »

SHSmith wrote:Ok, I got memtest86 run. It completed with no errors
Means little, I've seen reports it took days to get an error. Basically, if memtest tells the RAM is bad then so it is, if memtest passes then you don't know if RAM is bad or not. However, since you tried removing memory modules I'd say the RAM is probably good.

SHSmith

#14 Post by SHSmith »

Segfault - I tried another power supply to verify that wasn't the culpret; it did the same thing. I've never messed with clock speeds on the cpu or ram, so I have no idea how to do it.

Brianmc, I just saw that. The board and cpu were sold as a combo. CRAP.Looks like new processor time...

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#15 Post by sunrat »

Last build I did I found a setting in UEFI setup called OS Type or something similar. It needed to be changed from Windows to Other OS before I could get any Linux to boot. Also make sure Secure Boot is not enabled.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#16 Post by 4D696B65 »

SHSmith wrote: Brianmc, I just saw that. The board and cpu were sold as a combo. CRAP.Looks like new processor time...
Perhaps update the mobo BIOS first. The list Bryanmc posted was for the initial release version. New cpu's were added but can't find that info at msi .

SHSmith

#17 Post by SHSmith »

Hi sunrat - I've been scouring the bios for anything mentioning secure boot and eufi. I can't find any so if they are there, they're hidden

SHSmith

#18 Post by SHSmith »

Ok, it pretty much looks like the processor; it's drawing more power than the board can give it. Thank y'all so much for your thoughts and suggestions! I'll update when I get the new one.

SHSmith

#19 Post by SHSmith »

UPDATE - I backed the CPU-FSB down to minimum and it is working; I'm installing Debian 9.2 as we speak. Soon as I figure out how to back the voltage down, I'm gonna do that. So, looks like I don't have to rush to get the new CPU. YAY!!! Merry Christmas to all!

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#20 Post by 4D696B65 »

4D696B65 wrote:
SHSmith wrote: Brianmc, I just saw that. The board and cpu were sold as a combo. CRAP.Looks like new processor time...
Perhaps update the mobo BIOS first. The list Bryanmc posted was for the initial release version. New cpu's were added but can't find that info at msi .