Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Stretch stopped suspending on laptop lid

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
shakman

Stretch stopped suspending on laptop lid

#1 Post by shakman »

This is a live version off of a YUMI USB drive..

Sometimes this happens. Suspend upon "laptop close lid" just stops working. I then have to push the power button to suspend instead..

I would be curious to know why.

events are being registered:

Code: Select all

root@debian:~# acpi_listen 
button/lid LID close
button/lid LID open
^C
as well as /proc/acpi/button/lid/LID0/state changing from opened-closed..

Thanks

ps. If I could "repair" this without logging off my current session that would be great.
PPS: When I suspend with the power button, then close the lid, THEN RE-OPEN the lid, it powers up perfectly (or if I don't close the lid but hit a key, or the mouse button...)

SO, the ONLY part that isn't working is the suspend upon lid CLOSE.

shakman

Re: Stretch stopped suspending on laptop lid

#2 Post by shakman »

Bump... is there anybody out there that can help me solve this issue?

This happens intermittently (meaning upon different "boots")--

SO sometimes the "lid close" suspend works fine.. other times it simply ignores the lid closing and I can't fathom where to look.

thx

bw123

#3 Post by bw123 »

I can't fathom where to look.
I don't know what a live version off of a YUMI is, but on my system there are settings for suspend and lid action all over the place.
Have you tried these?

/etc/systemd/logind.conf
/etc/Upower/UPower.conf

What desktop are you running? I think that would make a difference. Along with what laptop it is? Are you new at this forum thing?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

shakman

#4 Post by shakman »

YUMI can be found here: https://www.pendrivelinux.com/

Allows one to run several live OSs off of a flash drive.

Since the environment running is a live version of Stretch 9.20 iso logind.conf and UPower.conf are at their default untouched. Making any changes to variables within have zero effect.

Since on some boots suspending works as expected, and on others it simply ignores the lid state, DESPITE the lid state always being correctly reflected as I clearly indicated in the OP, it seems like a bug somewhere, but where?

This is an 2011 HP G72 laptop core i5 4GB.

bw123

#5 Post by bw123 »

it seems like a bug somewhere, but where?
That is a good question, my take on who will ultimately own the bug is, probably nobody. It seems to be fashionable now to just ignore what your program actually does, and focus on what it 'should do' even if you get a bug report that could be fixed very easily by a small change in your app. If you write code that should work, and some other app you depend on fails, well that's somebody elses problem. No need to try and implement a hasty fix for the users. Why should I verify that my code works as intended, if the data I rely on to be provided by another doodad isn't correct?

I've seen it in dozens of cases, 'not our bug' becomes a way of life.

Suspend is a worse mess than it was when it was a mess in the first place.

Well, it's live but you can still drop a script and an event into acpi right? it's getting the message so why can't you just handle it there with systemctl suspend?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

shakman

#6 Post by shakman »

bw123 wrote:...Well, it's live but you can still drop a script and an event into acpi right? it's getting the message so why can't you just handle it there with systemctl suspend?
Look like it yeah. Was hoping for a clue and a potential legit bug submission to come of it to help improve but perhaps not. Ironically on this "boot" from the flash drive, it's working properly.

There are larger issues to take on anyway.

debiman

#7 Post by debiman »

unless you get persistence on your live usb, there's no solution.
or just try out different live .isos until you hit one that "Just Works"...

shakman

#8 Post by shakman »

debiman wrote:unless you get persistence on your live usb, there's no solution.
or just try out different live .isos until you hit one that "Just Works"...
persistence has nothing to do with this.

We're talking about suspend, not hibernate.

Fact is, as I stated, on some "loads" of Stretch (such as this one currently), lid-suspending (or sleeping if you will) works perfectly.

On other loads, it just ignores the lid-state.

bw123

#9 Post by bw123 »

on some "loads" of Stretch (such as this one currently), lid-suspending (or sleeping if you will) works perfectly.

On other loads, it just ignores the lid-state
Probably related to this...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_condition
resigned by AI ChatGPT

debiman

#10 Post by debiman »

shakman wrote:persistence has nothing to do with this.

yes it does, because any fix you apply will be lost after reboot.

shakman

#11 Post by shakman »

debiman wrote:
shakman wrote:persistence has nothing to do with this.

yes it does, because any fix you apply will be lost after reboot.
But that's not the point of my OP. You said:
unless you get persistence on your live usb, there's no solution.
This is false. There MUST be a sol'n becasue the laptop DOES suspend on some "boots" from the LIVE USB stick.

As it is doing correctly, RIGHT NOW.

Windows 7 is permanently installed. I was just in it before. I powered off, rebooted OFF the USB LIVE Stretch, opened a few terminals, and closed the lid.

Ta-da. The laptop went to sleep properly.

Now I could go through those same steps tomorrow, and closing the lid will NOT casue the laptop to sleep, only the screen to blank.

So, there is a bug, somewhere, which *could* be addressed.

debiman

#12 Post by debiman »

shakman wrote:So, there is a bug, somewhere, which *could* be addressed.
do it, don't let me stop you!

just be aware of the sheer amount of different devices supported, and that

- someone with a different laptop might never see that problem
- someone with the same laptop might never see that problem after they installed

shakman

#13 Post by shakman »

debiman wrote:
shakman wrote:So, there is a bug, somewhere, which *could* be addressed.
do it, don't let me stop you!

That was the whole point of the post; to see if someone (anyone) had come across this bug before as I am not versed enough to tackle it.

It will apparently remain unsolved for now.

debiman

#14 Post by debiman »

shakman wrote:That was the whole point of the post; to see if someone (anyone) had come across this bug before as I am not versed enough to tackle it.
read:
i was hoping i could dump the tedious process of submitting a bug onto somebody else.

shakman

#15 Post by shakman »

debiman wrote:
shakman wrote:That was the whole point of the post; to see if someone (anyone) had come across this bug before as I am not versed enough to tackle it.
read:
i was hoping i could dump the tedious process of submitting a bug onto somebody else.
Wow.

1) Not everyone is familiar with the bug submission process (read: me). Some don't even know it exists :roll:
2) Posting in a forum is what most people do first (after searching) to determine if the problem has been previously encountered/addressed to get help and direction, not nasty replies.

Perhaps a nice suggestion instead of an "eliteist", un-welcoming smart ass remark is more appropriate for civilized discourse.

Thanks for all your help.

GarryRicketson

#16 Post by GarryRicketson »

by shakman »2) Posting in a forum is what most people do first (after searching) to determine if the problem has been previously encountered/addressed to get help and direction, not nasty replies.
Yes, indeed, most people ask after they do some searches, But there are all ways those few, that don't even try to search.
Oddly enough, those are all ways also the ones that get nasty and start making nasty replies, when it is suggested that they do a search.
by shakman »Perhaps a nice suggestion instead of an "eliteist", un-welcoming smart ass remark is more appropriate for civilized discourse.

How to submit a bug report on Debian 9
1st hit: https://www.debian.org/Bugs/
==============================
2nd hit:https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting
And there is more, all relevant,
by shakman »Perhaps a nice suggestion instead ----snip-----
Ok, well here is a nice suggestion:
Edit your post and remove the nasty remarks, replace them with something polite , like (example):

Wow.
 Thank you for the reply, but , 
1) I am not familiar with the bug submission process (read: me). I didn't even know it exists 
2) I asked here, because I am unable to do any searches, and don't know how to determine if the problem has been previously encountered/addressed to get help and direction. 
 Can you please either explain more on submitting a bug report, or give me 
some links with that information ? 
 Also, on how to see if this problem has been submitted all ready.
 Thank you 

Also a apology would be nice, apologies go a long ways.

If you browse or search the forum, you will see this problem has been discussed before.
And yes there have been bug reports filed , related to this.
: Debian bug reports, Suspend on laptop close lid just stops working
1 of many (1st hit): https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=730609
There are many, it is up to you now to do your part, I am not going to read them all for you and try to figure out which ones apply to your situation.

Thank you, and I apologize in advance, if you think I am not being nice, or if I offend you in any way, it is not my intention.
No need to post a nasty reply like the other one,...
----snip---instead of an "eliteist", un-welcoming smart ass remark is more appropriate for civilized discourse.
No body else made any remark quite as rude as yours, but that is ok, I understand, sometimes we all have bad days, and say thing we regret later.
Again, I am sorry if you don't like my reply either, I am trying to be civilized,
and polite.

debiman

#17 Post by debiman »

GarryRicketson wrote: Also a apology would be nice, apologies go a long ways.
not to me! I was being a smart-ass.

nevertheless i think i'm right:
  • op dismissed the bug submission process AFTER we discussed it and made clear what it's all about, so their own argument "Posting in a forum is what most people do first (after searching) to determine if the problem has been previously encountered/addressed to get help and direction, not nasty replies" is invalid.
  • i maintain that submitting a full & correct bug report is a tedious and painful process, but not one that requires particular skill beyond using the terminal, therefore dismissing it in the way op did is laziness.
  • op hasn't been particular friendly or humble themselves in this thread.
Last edited by debiman on 2017-12-31 18:48, edited 1 time in total.

shakman

#18 Post by shakman »

GarryRicketson wrote:
by shakman »2) Posting in a forum is what most people do first (after searching) to determine if the problem has been previously encountered/addressed to get help and direction, not nasty replies.
Yes, indeed, most people ask after they do some searches, ..
Gerry, I said I searched, you quoted it. It's my process. If you re-read the thread you can see everything was cordial up until debiman posted this unwarranted nasty reply:
read:
Instead of simply suggesting that perhaps the only recourse *is* to submit a bug report, which as I said many don't know how to do, debiman decided a thinly veiled insult was more apropos.

THAT flippant tone was entirely uncalled for in the discourse and demanded a defense.

In my search of both this forum, and the net in general, I have NOT found a solution to the issue, NOR what the issue actually is, as it is still unknown to a great extent, with few people having fixed their issue, and many NOT.

THAT is why I posted here
by shakman »Perhaps a nice suggestion instead of an "eliteist", un-welcoming smart ass remark is more appropriate for civilized discourse.
A perfectly understandable reply to an unwarranted attack.
Ok, well here is a nice suggestion:
Edit your post and remove the nasty remarks, replace them with something polite , like (example):
You need to address debiman who initiated the attack.

Responses like debiman's are a sure way to make this an unwelcoming environment for those seeking help.

Wow.
 Thank you for the reply, but , 
1) I am not familiar with the bug submission process (read: me). I didn't even know it exists 
2) I asked here, because I am unable to do any searches, and don't know how to determine if the problem has been previously encountered/addressed to get help and direction. 

Again, searching this forum was the *first* thing I did, to no avail/solution and I know the bug submission ps exists. Those things in your "edit" above are NOT what I said.
No body else made any remark quite as rude as yours, ...
Not true. Go re-read the sequence of posts. I was clearly and needlessly attacked.

And thank you for the suggestions on the bug reporting mechanism.

@debiman

I clearly said I am not versed enough to handle the issue. LAZINESS is not the issue, that is just another ad hominem attack on your part.

I made it perfectly clear that I was determining if this problem had been encountered more recently by anyone in this forum prior, and how/if they addressed it.

Your flippant attack added absolutely nothing to the conversation.

debiman

#19 Post by debiman »

shakman wrote:I clearly said I am not versed enough to handle the issue. LAZINESS is not the issue
well then i guess you already opened a new thread, asking for help with creating & filing a bug report.
sorry i haven't noticed.

shakman

#20 Post by shakman »

debiman wrote:well then i guess you already opened a new thread, asking for help with creating & filing a bug report.
sorry i haven't noticed.
Nah, you missed it. Another forum member was intelligent enough to assist with that matter right here in this very thread,