Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian direct derivates vs Rebuilt derivates.

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Wheelerof4te

Re: Debian direct derivates vs Rebuilt derivates.

#41 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Capitain_Jack wrote:No, I am trying to spread the real knowledge about derivation on debian, and why people can try to help if the distro is a direct derivation and you can clearly see that the problem is on debian related repos, this, by itself, can help the "pure debian" likers also, as can address quickly problems related to Debian packages (no matter witch version or flavor).
That is, until you realise those derivatives have their own forum.

For the last time, direct Debian derivatives may have the same Debian core as "pure" Debian.
But at the same time, even Ubuntu has the same Debian core, so let's happily welcome all Ubuntu users here on Debian User Forums. Why those Ubuntu forums even exist? /sarcasm

Capitain_Jack

#42 Post by Capitain_Jack »

bw123 wrote:
Capitain_Jack wrote: Of course is Sparky, no Debian, is a direct derivation and you, as all "pure debian" trolls, is trying to put words into my talking...
You have offered no proof to your claim that direct is better than rebuilt. The topic isn't "pure" debian, you are saying that sparky is somehow different than other debian-based, and their repos are compatible. Where is the proof?
First: I did not claimed one is better than the other.

The proof? Please, read on my post, all of it, I've been using it for almost 2 years now, migrating from dual boot debian non-free/windows 7 and seeking easy of install and game interaction. Now guess what? Not only me but every single person that needs I disseminate it, and people love linux now, but I do not use micronothing at all and game all my games, including Diablo 3 and others.
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
Albert Einstein
"All wrong-doing arises because of mind. If mind is transformed can wrong-doing remain?"
Buddha

Capitain_Jack

#43 Post by Capitain_Jack »

Wheelerof4te wrote: For the last time, direct Debian derivatives may have the same Debian core as "pure" Debian.
But at the same time, even Ubuntu has the same Debian core, so let's happily welcome all Ubuntu users here on Debian User Forums. Why those Ubuntu forums even exist? /sarcasm
Thanks man, you showed how much knowledge you have on TWO types of derivation and what do that mean....not being sarcastic.
Albert Einstein
"All wrong-doing arises because of mind. If mind is transformed can wrong-doing remain?"
Buddha

Capitain_Jack

#44 Post by Capitain_Jack »

wizard10000 wrote:You know, Jack - I have a rule in my house. I don't allow guests to defecate on my carpet.

Some people think that's horribly unfair but it is my house and my rules; and I suggest the people who don't agree with my rules go visit someone who will let them defecate on their carpet. You can argue all you want to about my decision not to allow guests to defecate on my carpet, but it's pretty unlikely you'll get me to change my rule.

If this house doesn't meet your needs perhaps the thing to do would be to find a house that does meet your needs or build one yourself :)
What u talking about? didn't got your thinking...can please be more clear?
Albert Einstein
Buddha

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#45 Post by 4D696B65 »

Capitain_Jack wrote: No, I am trying to spread the real knowledge about derivation on debian, and why people can try to help if the distro is a direct derivation and you can clearly see that the problem is on debian related repos, this, by itself, can help the "pure debian" likers also, as can address quickly problems related to Debian packages (no matter witch version or flavor).
You are still asking for debian users to have inside knowledge of Sparky or whatever distro to make to make educated decisions. Do you really expect us to research 100 distros just to make you happy?

Capitain_Jack

#46 Post by Capitain_Jack »

4D696B65 wrote:
Capitain_Jack wrote: No, I am trying to spread the real knowledge about derivation on debian, and why people can try to help if the distro is a direct derivation and you can clearly see that the problem is on debian related repos, this, by itself, can help the "pure debian" likers also, as can address quickly problems related to Debian packages (no matter witch version or flavor).
You are still asking for debian users to have inside knowledge of Sparky or whatever distro to make to make educated decisions. Do you really expect us to research 100 distros just to make you happy?
Am I? or I am talking about one specific type of derivation? am I asking what here?? I opened a discution about TWO TYPES OF DERIVATION over Debian, witch is a general Debian discussion right??

I expect users to be more polite on trying to focus on help instead of "I don't support derivations" mind.
Albert Einstein
Buddha

bw123

#47 Post by bw123 »

Capitain_Jack wrote:[
The proof? Please, read on my post, all of it, I've been using it for almost 2 years now, migrating from dual boot debian non-free/windows 7 and seeking easy of install and game interaction. Now guess what? Not only me but every single person that needs I disseminate it, and people love linux now, but I do not use micronothing at all and game all my games, including Diablo 3 and others.
I know you must be real proud, but really.. you ran linux for a few years, and you got some games working, so what?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Thorny

#48 Post by Thorny »

Captain_Jack

Does it suggest anything to you that, since you started this thread, there hasn't been anyone agreeing with you?

Capitain_Jack

#49 Post by Capitain_Jack »

Capitain_Jack wrote: I expect users to be more polite on trying to focus on help instead of "I don't support derivations" mind.
As stated before, an direct derivation have debian on its core, and most of them is just specific software/firmware only, so if a problem is on the debian part of that derivation, is interesting to have no frontiers on this.
If the problem is surely related to issues involving mistaken repos, like the post I mentioned before, you can still help by explaning the flavors and showing knowledge on the complete Debain universe, after all, is this a debian user forum or what?
Albert Einstein
Buddha

Capitain_Jack

#50 Post by Capitain_Jack »

Thorny wrote:Captain_Jack

Does it suggest anything to you that, since you started this thread, there hasn't been anyone agreeing with you?
Yes man, and I am not saying nothing new, everything is there into docs...
Albert Einstein
Buddha

Capitain_Jack

#51 Post by Capitain_Jack »

bw123 wrote:
Capitain_Jack wrote:[
I know you must be real proud, but really.. you ran linux for a few years, and you got some games working, so what?
So what what?
Albert Einstein
Buddha

Capitain_Jack

#52 Post by Capitain_Jack »

bw123 wrote: I know you must be real proud
How many end users you made a install for them and they never go back to windows? I did this all time, no matter age...
Albert Einstein
Buddha

bw123

#53 Post by bw123 »

Capitain_Jack wrote:
How many end users you made a install for them and they never go back to windows? I did this all time, no matter age...
It's not a contest, and your accomplishemnts don't give you a right to dictate. I admire anybody that has a passion for linux, you should join with the debian way and turn from the dark side completely.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Wheelerof4te

#54 Post by Wheelerof4te »

1. "Pure" Debian:
Debian without non-free or contrib packages. All of it is free and can be modified, changed and recompiled. You can make your custom distro with it and no one will bat an eye. Ran by people with a passion for free software, or those whose hardware supports it.

2. "Normal" Debian, i.e. Debian as most people use it, "Debian for human beings" (pun intended):
User is using whatever software makes running his computer as best it can. That software is packaged in Debian, user does not need to install anything outside Debian's repos. Debian is even kind enough to give those users "unofficial" image containing non-free firmware. This is still "a less pure, but still normall" Debian.

3. Debian derivative, or a distribution based on Debian core packages, as OP puts it. Does not matter if it's a "direct" derivative or not:
Most of packages are same as in Debian, but the distro makers insert some of their own configurations, 3rd party packages for easier install (example Skype, Chrome). This distro, although based on Debian, is not considered true Debian. It is something else entirely. Therefore, people seeking help about that distro should seek help from the makers of that distro. Not from Debian users, because we don't know which packages or configs are different on those distros from "normal" Debian.

OP, do you get it now? Do you understand now what people want to tell you here?

Capitain_Jack

#55 Post by Capitain_Jack »

bw123 wrote:
Capitain_Jack wrote:
It's not a contest, and your accomplishemnts don't give you a right to dictate. I admire anybody that has a passion for linux, you should join with the debian way and turn from the dark side completely.
Man, is this type of thinking I am talking about. I don't see this as dark side, and I am (if you didn't read) a Debian (almost pure, with non-free repo) experienced user. Have you ever put together a pvpgn server? I made it within one Debian install, and it does need a windows executable to work...

Who said it is a contest? It wasn't me.
Albert Einstein
Buddha

Capitain_Jack

#56 Post by Capitain_Jack »

Wheelerof4te wrote:1. "Pure" Debian:
Debian without non-free or contrib packages. All of it is free and can be modified, changed and recompiled. You can make your custom distro with it and no one will bat an eye. Ran by people with a passion for free software, or those whose hardware supports it.

2. "Normal" Debian, i.e. Debian as most people use it, "Debian for human beings" (pun intended):
User is using whatever software makes running his computer as best it can. That software is packaged in Debian, user does not need to install anything outside Debian's repos. Debian is even kind enough to give those users "unofficial" image containing non-free firmware. This is still "a less pure, but still normall" Debian.

3. Debian derivative, or a distribution based on Debian core packages, as OP puts it. Does not matter if it's a "direct" derivative or not:
Most of packages are same as in Debian, but the distro makers insert some of their own configurations, 3rd party packages for easier install (example Skype, Chrome). This distro, although based on Debian, is not considered true Debian. It is something else entirely. Therefore, people seeking help about that distro should seek help from the makers of that distro. Not from Debian users, because we don't know which packages or configs are different on those distros from "normal" Debian.

OP, do you get it now? Do you understand now what people want to tell you here?
Sir, I do know all those statements. And you, know what this post is about??
Albert Einstein
Buddha

Wheelerof4te

#57 Post by Wheelerof4te »

^About people using Debian derivatives coming here to ask for help, even though those derivatives are not Debian?

On a side note, thank you for pimping my post count :D

Capitain_Jack

#58 Post by Capitain_Jack »

Let's be clear, this post is to enlighten the differences from on type of derivation to the other, and how they relate to Debian. That said, what can be done to be more friendly over the direct derivation that is entirely based on Debian, offering only software (as by including the non-free is already not pure debian) and not so closed mind into the point of not even reading the question, like the post I mentioned before.
Albert Einstein
Buddha

Capitain_Jack

#59 Post by Capitain_Jack »

Wheelerof4te wrote:^About people using Debian derivatives coming here to ask for help, even though those derivatives are not Debian?

On a side note, thank you for pimping my post count :D
No sir, it is as the title says: Direct vs Rebuilt derivates, differences and the fact that some direct derivates are Debian into the core, so into this aspect, can be addressed as a "Debian user" problem.
Albert Einstein
Buddha

GarryRicketson

#60 Post by GarryRicketson »

Debian (almost pure, with non-free repo) experienced user. Have you ever put together a pvpgn server? I made it within one Debian install, and it does need a windows executable to work.
"Debian , almost pure" Is not the same as Debian, pure water H2O, is no longer,H2O, when something else has been added or removed either.
and it does need a windows executable to work.
Debian does not require a window executable to work, if it requires a windows executable to run, it is not Debian,

A pvpgn server is not a Debian server , either, .........You seem very confused
about what Debian really is.

...... Are you related to bester69,? he is our honorable frankendebian expert, here on this forum :mrgreen: