Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Problems installing software

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
CarterCox

#1 Post by CarterCox »

Hi guys. I'm having a strange problem. I'm getting this error messages:

I looked around and I found that I'm supposed to comment the sources on sources.list, but that didn't fix it. Here:

I'm sorry for the pictures, I didn't know how to copy or upload the text.

Thanks for the help!

bw123

Re: Problems installing software

#2 Post by bw123 »

I didn't know how to copy or upload the text
one of the easiest ways is select what you want to copy by left click and drag the mouse, then using the middle button or left+right together to paste. There are several other ways to do it, I use shift-insert to paste pretty often.

There are several reasons pasting actual error messages is better than an image:
1) some people don't browse with images enabled in order to save bandwidth and time.
2) some people don't like clicking unknown links, especially images, which can be quite large.
3) posting content as an image makes a text search impossible.
4) posting content as an image makes it impossible to quote or selective quote without extra effort.
5) it doesn't save anybody any time at all
6) how long will the image be available? Have you ever seen a thread with a dead link to necessary information? Pretty Useless.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Segfault

#3 Post by Segfault »

In addition, you can redirect the output of the command you executed to a text file.

CarterCox

#4 Post by CarterCox »

bw123 wrote:
I didn't know how to copy or upload the text
one of the easiest ways is select what you want to copy by left click and drag the mouse, then using the middle button or left+right together to paste. There are several other ways to do it, I use shift-insert to paste pretty often.

There are several reasons pasting actual error messages is better than an image:
1) some people don't browse with images enabled in order to save bandwidth and time.
2) some people don't like clicking unknown links, especially images, which can be quite large.
3) posting content as an image makes a text search impossible.
4) posting content as an image makes it impossible to quote or selective quote without extra effort.
5) it doesn't save anybody any time at all
6) how long will the image be available? Have you ever seen a thread with a dead link to necessary information? Pretty Useless.
Heh, I know how to use the mouse, but my issue is that I don't have a DE, so the mouse isn't really working. Maybe you can help me regardless? I know it's not the best way to ask for help, but the error message is recognizable.

Would it help if I switch mirrors? Maybe the problem is there?

Thanks!

Ardouos

#5 Post by Ardouos »

Please resize your images. Here is a guide.
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=123831
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

Lysander

#6 Post by Lysander »

Your sources.list looks correct but it's hard to tell unless you copy and paste it into a post.

Try

Code: Select all

sudo apt autoclean 
sudo apt update
then install your software.

bw123

#7 Post by bw123 »

CarterCox wrote:... but my issue is that I don't have a DE, so the mouse isn't really working. Maybe you can help me regardless? I know it's not the best way to ask for help, but the error message is recognizable.

Would it help if I switch mirrors? Maybe the problem is there?

Thanks!
Sure I would help any way I could, but I don't see anything but the word "Image" where you posted your images, and I'm too lazy to mess with it. You are too lazy to write anything in text so we are not getting nowhere..

Sounds like you are stuck during a minimal install? That's tricky, because if you are going to use repositories you have to get the network up first. It may or may not be configured, so let people know.

If you installed without a desktop from a full cd or dvd, you can still use it as a source after first boot by mounting the .iso on /media/cdrom as long as you don't update your sources or use apt update command. I usually do this to install xterm first, which pulls in xorg and drivers. Then you need xinit, which gives you startx command. Once you get X working with an xterm or two it goes a lot quicker.

A lot of images have a package named gpm which will let you use the mouse outside of X. It is different/tricky to use, has a great man page.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

GarryRicketson

#8 Post by GarryRicketson »

but my issue is that I don't have a DE,
This is so sad, the result of all the fancy DE ,and clicky dicky icons, etc,... so we
end up with a never ending amount of users that, can not do anything without some GUI,or DE,... So many times on this forum, the same problem, the same answers, but they never read any of it, What is the point in explaining again ?
Nobody will read it. ......
I don't have a DE, either,. no problem,... you don't need that.

$ cd /etc/apt 
$ less sources.list > /home/username/sources-list.txt 
This will put the contents of the sources.list file into a text file located in your
home directory, since it is a text file, it can easily be copied / pasted into code
boxes on the forum. The same little " > " can be used to put the output of a command, into a text file,......
Apply a little logic, If you don't know how to use the CLI (command line interface) Do a search, " How do I use the Linux command line",...
Also, before I knew better, there all ways is the old pencil and paper, write down what you see on the screen, open up the post editor on the forum, using
the notes you wrote on the paper, carefully type in everything, inside code boxes,... tedious yes, but still a better option then useless fotos,...Oh I forget, maybe , to many people now a days don't know what a pencil and paper is, as well as not knowing how to use the command line.

Yes, trying a different mirror might help, but I doubt that, however it is all just
guess work, with out clear , accurate details, typed or pasted into code boxes.
, but the error message is recognizable.
Not really, the images are huge, and just a few letters show on my screen. If you must use photos and screen shots, at least take the time to learn how to resize them, and create decent thumbnails,... No you don't need a DE and clicky dicky ICons, GUI's to do that either,... I do all my resizing, and image work from the command line as well. ImageMagick is a great tool, but any way
most image storage sites do have one click options, to do it for you, just read
the storage sites instructions.

GarryRicketson

#9 Post by GarryRicketson »

Here on this forum there are over 500 discussions that go into detail about
this, did the OP even read 1 or 2 of them ?
Search found 597 matches: +Problems +installing +software
Most are the same old thing, the sources.list file is not correct, the OP does not know how to edit it, and can't because they have no DE, same answers over and over,...

dcihon

#10 Post by dcihon »

Here on this forum there are over 500 discussions that go into detail about
this, did the OP even read 1 or 2 of them ?
That is true but you get results from each of those words individually.
If you put in the search "problems installing software" in quotes then you only get 13.
But still to your point a search should have been tried first before asking the question.

CarterCox

#11 Post by CarterCox »

Ardouos wrote:Please resize your images. Here is a guide.
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=123831
Thank you! I'll do that.

Lysander wrote:Your sources.list looks correct but it's hard to tell unless you copy and paste it into a post.

Try

sudo apt autoclean 
sudo apt update
then install your software.
That didn't work. apt-get update produces the same output. I also tried changing the mirror. No luck.
bw123 wrote:Sounds like you are stuck during a minimal install? That's tricky, because if you are going to use repositories you have to get the network up first. It may or may not be configured, so let people know.

If you installed without a desktop from a full cd or dvd, you can still use it as a source after first boot by mounting the .iso on /media/cdrom as long as you don't update your sources or use apt update command. I usually do this to install xterm first, which pulls in xorg and drivers. Then you need xinit, which gives you startx command. Once you get X working with an xterm or two it goes a lot quicker.

A lot of images have a package named gpm which will let you use the mouse outside of X. It is different/tricky to use, has a great man page.
Hi. The internet should be configured, because I configured it during installation.

I installed from a flash drive, uding the netinstall image. I'm afraid that won't let me install much.
GarryRicketson wrote:Nobody will read it. ......
Yeah, there is a lot out there. Sometimes it becomes too much. I won't spend half my day trying to figure out the minimalist man pages or the confusing wikis. It's more efficient to find someone who already did and is willing to give you a hand.
GarryRicketson wrote:

$ cd /etc/apt 
$ less sources.list > /home/username/sources-list.txt 
This will put the contents of the sources.list file into a text file located in your
home directory, since it is a text file, it can easily be copied / pasted into code
boxes on the forum. The same little " > " can be used to put the output of a command, into a text file,......
Thank you, I'll keep it in mind for next time.
GarryRicketson wrote:Yes, trying a different mirror might help, but I doubt that, however it is all just
guess work, with out clear , accurate details, typed or pasted into code boxes.
You were right, it didn't help. I tried the one selected by default during installation and I get the same error.
GarryRicketson wrote:Not really, the images are huge, and just a few letters show on my screen. If you must use photos and screen shots, at least take the time to learn how to resize them, and create decent thumbnails,...
Thank you, done!
GarryRicketson wrote:Most are the same old thing, the sources.list file is not correct, the OP does not know how to edit it, and can't because they have no DE, same answers over and over,...
I know how to edit it, how do you think I got the picture from the text editor? I did a Google search before, but nothing related to the problem I have, that's why I came here. I always prefer searching over asking, it's faster.
dcihon wrote:But still to your point a search should have been tried first before asking the question.
I did try a Google search. I didn't find much so I came here. Thanks for the input.

Bulkley

#12 Post by Bulkley »

CarterCox, that second picture shows a ~$ prompt. Are you trying to install programs as a user? You have to be root.

Are you using sudo? Is there a problem with it?

CarterCox

#13 Post by CarterCox »

Bulkley wrote:CarterCox, that second picture shows a ~$ prompt. Are you trying to install programs as a user? You have to be root.

Are you using sudo? Is there a problem with it?
I didn't set a root password, so I just "sudo" and put my password. Everything seems to work fine then. I could edit the grub file in /etc/default with no issues before, by using

sudo nano /etc/default/grub
So I guess sudo works fine?

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

Your network, or at least name resolution, is not working.

edit: and that will be my only response as I'm not scrolling three screens across to access the buttons ... :roll:
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

GarryRicketson

#15 Post by GarryRicketson »

Sudo should be fine, if sudo was not working you would get a "permsion denied" or something similar.
Hi. The internet should be configured, because I configured it during installation.
Ok, but have you confirmed it is actually working, can you "ping" anything ?

ping 8.8.8.8
Ping is not 100%, for example, I ping 8.8.8.8, and 0 packets recieved,
how ever,

wget http://debian.forums.net
And I do connect,...

What method are you trying to connect with IE: Wifi, DHCP, ,,etc ?
I don't think you are actually connecting to the internet, but just guessing,
you need to confirm if you really can connect to any thing, then take it from there.