Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Disapearing Clock

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
FenrisUltra

Disapearing Clock

#1 Post by FenrisUltra »

Ok, so I just got a fresh install of Debian 9.2.1 XFCE on this ESXi server. Then I go to configure my clock so I can see the seconds...then it just disappears. Every time I poke at it, the clock shows up when I right click on the spot, then when I close the clock setup window, the clock disappears again. A clock that disappears on me drives me crazy >.<

debiman

Re: Disapearing Clock

#2 Post by debiman »

this is a rant, not a problem description.
i hope it made you feel better.

FenrisUltra

#3 Post by FenrisUltra »

What? This is a problem... The clock disappeared after trying to configure it, I would like it back. I don't know how to make it come back, that is why I am here asking for assistance.

I have read up on Debian 9 having unstable clocks, has anyone been able to fix this?

Segfault

#4 Post by Segfault »

Generally, you start the application in a terminal window when troubleshooting and look at error messages when it terminates. If this sounds too complicated I suggest you let a computer guy look at it.

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

Is this the clock on the xfce panel?

Why do we have to drag this information out of you?

The panel clock is a built-in panel plugin...try adding another instance of it and see if that's unstable, or use the orage panel clock instead.
MX Linux packager and developer

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

Make it a little bigger?
Probably the seconds make it too wide for the default space - maybe it's not auto-resizing bt default.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

FenrisUltra

#7 Post by FenrisUltra »

stevepusser wrote:Is this the clock on the xfce panel?

Why do we have to drag this information out of you?

The panel clock is a built-in panel plugin...try adding another instance of it and see if that's unstable, or use the orage panel clock instead.
Yes, this is the clock on the XFCE panel, next to the system tray icons. It wont stay there after you set the settings for it. It wouldn't let me add another instance.

As for why "we have to drag this info out of me"...I don't even know how to describe this problem anymore then I just did. It just doesn't show up anywhere in any kind of settings or console stuff.

It looks like I got it working by jamming garbage characters with some a custom time code ones. Not pretty but it seems to work, at least for now. At least it stays put.

debiman

#8 Post by debiman »

FenrisUltra wrote:What? This is a problem...
oh, i totally agree there.
but you haven't described the problem in a way that would enable anyone who is not sitting at your computer to help you with it.
I have read up on Debian 9 having unstable clocks, has anyone been able to fix this?
now this is just funny.
you should open a bug report "debian 9 has unstable clocks".

GarryRicketson

#9 Post by GarryRicketson »

Post by FenrisUltra »I have read up on Debian 9 having unstable clocks,
Where did you read this, sounds like gossip to me. I have seen all sorts of problems posted here about Debian 9, but never anything like this, about
unstable clocks,... seems like if it was a common issue others would have mentioned it as well.
=== did a search for the OP ===
Yes, there was some bug reports on this, and a patch was posted:
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=817978

Code: Select all

FWIW, this patch fixes it:

diff -Naur xfce4-panel-4.12.1.orig/plugins/clock/clock.c
xfce4-panel-4.12.1/plugins/clock/clock.c
--- xfce4-panel-4.12.1.orig/plugins/clock/clock.c	2016-08-12
07:54:27.000000000 +1000
+++ xfce4-panel-4.12.1/plugins/clock/clock.c	2017-07-28 11:45:01.388259000 +1000
@@ -730,13 +730,13 @@

if (format != NULL)
         {
-          gtk_entry_set_text (entry, format);
           gtk_widget_hide (GTK_WIDGET (entry));
-          g_free (format);
         }
       else
         {
+          gtk_entry_set_text (entry, format);
           gtk_widget_show (GTK_WIDGET (entry));
+          g_free (format);
         }
     }
 }

stevepusser

#10 Post by stevepusser »

Yes, this is the clock on the XFCE panel, next to the system tray icons. It wont stay there after you set the settings for it. It wouldn't let me add another instance.
Balderdash & poppycock. I just added 7 clocks to my Stretch xfce panel, then removed them. Better to say, "I don't know how to add items to the xfce panel"...yet. Here ya go: https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-panel/add-new-items

Exactly how you trying to set it so you can see the seconds? Is it with the drop-down dialog in the properties?

loubapache

#11 Post by loubapache »

I can confirm this problem with Debian 9 on XFCE. You can add clock to the panel without any problem. However if you right-click the clock and try to edit its properties, it disappears. The clock is still in the Panel items but won't show up on the panel.

Here is a workaround I found. To edit the clock, right-click the panel and then Panel -> Panel Preference -> items. Click the clock and edit its properties. Make sure to select LCD as the layout. Then it will stay on the panel. Now you can even right-click the clock to edit it but do not change away from LCD.

tpprynn

#12 Post by tpprynn »

I found this also with Debian 9, 9.2 and 9.3 Xfce. I deleted the first instance of the plugin, added it again and rebooted. Didn’t happen with 7 or 8.

stevepusser

#13 Post by stevepusser »

tpprynn wrote:I found this also with Debian 9, 9.2 and 9.3 Xfce. I deleted the first instance of the plugin, added it again and rebooted. Didn’t happen with 7 or 8.
Another workaround is to use the Orage clock on the panel instead.