Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] How to install Debian on USB stick

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
pagat

[SOLVED] How to install Debian on USB stick

#1 Post by pagat »

I want to install Debian on USB stick.
I found this topic https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/ ... 03.html.en

my questions
1) Is it possible to install debian on my USB simply like I would on a HDD without complicated USB preparation ? for example from CD1
2) Could I use this USB on any computer bootable from USB or only on the PC on which I install it ( I mean because drivers)
Last edited by pagat on 2017-12-18 12:37, edited 1 time in total.

bw123

Re: How to install Debian on USB stick

#2 Post by bw123 »

1) Is it possible to install debian on my USB simply like I would on a HDD without complicated USB preparation ? for example from CD1
I did this a few times in the past, never had a problem with installation. I guess there could be issues depending on the hardware.
2) Could I use this USB on any computer bootable from USB or only on the PC on which I install it ( I mean because drivers)
That's the problem with this approach. I guess it is possible to boot it on multiple machines, but I would not say using it on "any computer bootable from USB" is a realistic goal.

I like Live usb with persistence better.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: How to install Debian on USB stick

#3 Post by p.H »

On machines which do not need non free graphic drivers, a system installed in the normal way can be rather versatile.
However another problem is that a USB flash stick used that way will wear out quickly due to repeated writes.

pagat

Re: [SOLVED] How to install Debian on USB stick

#4 Post by pagat »

Thank you all.
I need some other solution obviously.