Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Personal Certificate on USB stick

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
pagat

[SOLVED] Personal Certificate on USB stick

#1 Post by pagat »

So far, I have used a separate computer for banking services and other websites where I need my personal certificate. My old computer broke up. Is there in Debian program that allows you to use a personal certificate from USB, some sort of Client to use with USB.
Last edited by pagat on 2018-01-01 03:33, edited 3 times in total.

Capitain_Jack

Re: Personal Certificate on USB stick

#2 Post by Capitain_Jack »

This is a more hardware specific problem, it is possible that your key do have a linux driver, but you must ask your bank if they support the OS also, so they don't think it is an attack.
Take a look into the documentation over it, in my country this is a place to start:
http://loja.certificadodigital.com.br/S ... s/449b.pdf
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
Albert Einstein
"All wrong-doing arises because of mind. If mind is transformed can wrong-doing remain?"
Buddha

pagat

#3 Post by pagat »

If I understand correctly this means that I need to buy a special auth Token (SmartCard or USB SIM KEY) from an authorized provider.
OK,thank you very much for the answer.

bw123

Re: [SOLVED] Personal Certificate on USB stick

#4 Post by bw123 »

The question wasn't real clear to me. Sounds like you had a computer with some security setup and it crashed, you want to rescue that setup to a new machine running linux?

You didn't say what types of certificates, what type of client (browser? which one?), or what operating system.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Capitain_Jack

#5 Post by Capitain_Jack »

bw123 wrote:The question wasn't real clear to me.
For me was crystal clear, he had one computer (probably running windows) in witch he uses Internet Banking with a digital certificate, provided by a USB token, and that machine died, but he also have a Debian machine, in witch now he wishes to use the same digital USB certificate.
bw123 wrote:You didn't say what types of certificates, what type of client (browser? which one?), or what operating system.
pagat wrote:Is there in Debian program that allows you to use a personal certificate from USB, some sort of Client to use with USB.
That means a driver for the USB certificate, and a software to allow using the password to sign in, it can be anywhere in the system, from single files to authentication on websites, normally using java.
Albert Einstein
"All wrong-doing arises because of mind. If mind is transformed can wrong-doing remain?"
Buddha

bw123

#6 Post by bw123 »

Capitain_Jack wrote: For me was crystal clear, he had one computer (probably running windows) in witch he uses Internet Banking with a digital certificate, provided by a USB token, and that machine died, but he also have a Debian machine, in witch now he wishes to use the same digital USB certificate.

That means a driver for the USB certificate, and a software to allow using the password to sign in, it can be anywhere in the system, from single files to authentication on websites, normally using java.
That sounds like a burdensome way to share a key, the bank issues you a usb dongle that needs a software driver? Maybe you can share some more info? Like what banks are doing this, what country, etc? That seems like a way to shut linux out of the picture, not very friendly.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Capitain_Jack

#7 Post by Capitain_Jack »

bw123 wrote: That sounds like a burdensome way to share a key, the bank issues you a usb dongle that needs a software driver? Maybe you can share some more info? Like what banks are doing this, what country, etc? That seems like a way to shut linux out of the picture, not very friendly.
It is a bank to bank thing, come do support linux, other's don't. The country I am talking about is Brazil, but I guess all of them are same same. And I agree with you, I had to open, some years back, an support request to let the bank be accessed trough linux (Caixa Econômica Federal, in this case), so since than they always make their access module linux also.

This can help you understand the various types of security keys:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_token
Albert Einstein
Buddha

pagat

#8 Post by pagat »

I would like to clarify.

For banking issues i was using my very old second hand PC. Wheezy was the last operating system I could install. Personal certificate is stored in Firefox browser. So I'm using Debian ... /// NOT WINDOWS
Why I was using old PC for banking is because I don't want to browse on web with my personal certificate always on / in.
My first thought was to install Debian on USB but they told me that USB will not withstand repeated use over a relatively long period - lack of durability.

So, next to old one I do have also new PC (with old 'stable') https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwUhX5gChjQ
Then i thought that must be some application in Debian where can I encrypt my certificate on normal USB key. But then you told me, as I understand, that I need special sim usb key or smartcard.

For example, at work we must not have stored business PKI certificate in browser. We are using ActivIdentity SimKey but it only works with Windows. They do not support Linux OS.
So, you advised me the same solution only for Linux.

Capitain_Jack

#9 Post by Capitain_Jack »

You can buy a software to use it (http://txsystems.com/activclient-for-linux.html), but I also found this how to https://vanalboom.org/node/12.

See if the free option works, if not, maybe it's easier to buy the software.
Albert Einstein
Buddha