Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Black screen after pssword entry pause50 sec then destop KDE

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Data007

Black screen after pssword entry pause50 sec then destop KDE

#1 Post by Data007 »

Hi Iam having issue at login, a black screen for what feels like 15sec just after logging into kde, but prior to actual desktop.

To be precise.
I boot up and then graphically login.
I then get this 15sec black screen(with mouse cursor) This has progressed to a 50sec black screen as time has gone on today.
It then starts the Breeze(dark) style starting kde type screen
Followed by successful login and kde desktop.

The above has happened with Debian, stretch/testing/and just now Buster to has started with it. Its just really annoying, prior to this it was like 2sec from hitting enter to the FULL desktop showing. M2 and SSD in operation :D speed at its best.

As far as Iam aware I think I am running sddm however root\var\log\sddm is empty,. In root/temp/ there are entries(files) with sddm in the names I have tried deleting them with a live distro on DVD(mint 18 KDE) but Some off them have a locked padlock symbol on them.

The only solution I have found is to reinstall the OS(Debian) this fixes the issue. This time round with buster installed this has not happened till about a week into the build and operation.

Cards in the machine is Radeon hd 8550 hooked to a dual display. If it where not for this issue Then Debian BusterA2 would be perfect but this has happened to all the Debian installs I have done from streatch->up to buster typicaly this happen-es after everything is setup. I know have saved on usb stick how to setup various points/parts of the install including getting and installing Firefox Quantum.

Can someone help me fix this issue please, I can be asked to provided various bits of information if told how and where to look I will posted it here. Relativly newish to linux but I can gett atround bash so rather than post in newbie I thought here maybe more appropriate. :P

Data007

Re: Black screen after pssword entry pause50 sec then destop

#2 Post by Data007 »

One of the main problems during installation which is fixable latter by installing drivers for the graphics card. I have found that
this page https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install- ... etch-linux helps fix it. As far as that goes as I can describe the issue as is a black boarder round the screen with the whole screen correctly/perfectly in the middle and only one display working as in exactly the same displaying on the two screens. which is one off the first things I fix after install by installing these drivers.

Segfault

#3 Post by Segfault »

root/temp/ ?!?

Something is very wrong here, under no circumstances should KDE write into /root/.

GarryRicketson

#4 Post by GarryRicketson »

--snip---under no circumstances should KDE write into /root/.
Even if one started running KDE as root ? Just wondering, thanks

Data007

#5 Post by Data007 »

Segfault wrote:root/temp/ ?!?

Something is very wrong here, under no circumstances should KDE write into /root/.
Thanks for replying I have deleted a few but its tmp not temp my mistake but never the less I did not think anything of it. :oops:

The filoes that are now left in root/tmp R

akonadi-sdl.mMBaUr
pulse-PKdhtXMmr18n
sddm-:0-OcuGFu
sddm-authe39b34aa-dd0b-405b-a800-b9acde824d12
sni-qt_kaccessibleapp_1623-DwH9Ts
ssh-WP5EqWfwW9Q4
systemd-private-2253355458514677a5daf293a9363efe-apache2.service-Tm4Ywt
systemd-private-2253355458514677a5daf293a9363efe-rtkit-daemon.service-Cj0XiF
systemd-private-2253355458514677a5daf293a9363efe-systemd-timesyncd.service-Sa3713
xauth-1000-_0

XXXXXXXXX
SDDM.conf from etc is

[Autologin]
Relogin=false
Session=plasma.desktop
User=

[General]
HaltCommand=/usr/bin/systemctl poweroff
Numlock=on
RebootCommand=/usr/bin/systemctl reboot

[Theme]
Current=debian-theme
CursorTheme=breeze_cursors
FacesDir=/usr/share/sddm/faces
ThemeDir=/usr/share/sddm/themes

[Users]
MaximumUid=65000
MinimumUid=1000

bw123

#6 Post by bw123 »

don't remove the files in /tmp especially while the system is running. If it's not running it should be empty anyway, leave /tmp alone is probably best.

Check out /var/tmp and there are some kde-cache files you can mess with pretty safely? I think the right way to do it is use kbuildsycoca to rebuild the cache, maybe something got out of whack, it happens. On stretch there are two versions, kbuildsycoca5 and kbuildsycoca4 not sure why.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Data007

#7 Post by Data007 »

bw123 wrote:don't remove the files in /tmp especially while the system is running. If it's not running it should be empty anyway, leave /tmp alone is probably best.

Check out /var/tmp and there are some kde-cache files you can mess with pretty safely? I think the right way to do it is use kbuildsycoca to rebuild the cache, maybe something got out of whack, it happens. On stretch there are two versions, kbuildsycoca5 and kbuildsycoca4 not sure why.
kbuildsycoca4 running...
kbuildsycoca4(6449) VFolderMenu::loadDoc: Parse error in "/home/sdl/.config/menus/applications-merged/xdg-desktop-menu-dummy.menu" , line 1 , col 1 : "unexpected end of file"

kbuildsycoca5 running...
kf5.kservice.sycoca: Parse error in "/home/sdl/.config/menus/applications-merged/xdg-desktop-menu-dummy.menu" , line 1 , col 1 : "unexpected end of file"

Ho hum desktop-menu-dummy.menu Dummy Menu???? scratches head or should I have run those commands as root

bw123

#8 Post by bw123 »

I sure didn't mean for you to go stabbing away with anything I said. You can slow down a tad, it will probably help you out.
You can't speedhack your way into a good solution, read the manpage for kbuildsycoca5 and then STAB AWAY!!

Don't know about dummy menu or merged-applications, what did you merge?

Create a new user and login there, see if goes away??
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Data007

#9 Post by Data007 »

Ty will try as u sugest and report back. Many thanks oh I did not merge anything.

If you hold or chill for a bit ile try a new user.

Data007

#10 Post by Data007 »

Ok drawing a=nother blank the new user approach created from the fault account still has the same problem.

I followed the steps here.
https://debian-administration.org/artic ... _new_users

Data007

#11 Post by Data007 »

ope no good I guess one of the options is to reinstall the os(Debian) but how to guard against this happening again.
Is there no file to tweek to look at the settings or something. A rather surprised and confused user.

bw123

#12 Post by bw123 »

Data007 wrote:A rather surprised and confused user.
If you do try a new install, stretch would be the way to go. Then after getting it setup, if you want you can move to testing, after backing up your working installation.

KDE plasma 5 or kf5 or whatever they are calling it is pretty good, I've been using it for a couple of months on a laptop and a desktop, uptimes over ten days with no problems. It did take some setup and and some patience though. I'm the kind of guy that likes to setup once, then basically change little to nothing for a couple of years if possible.

On your problem:

The file desktop-menu-dummy.menu is not found in buster according to this:
https://packages.debian.org/search?sear ... g&arch=any

So you may have installed something from a non-debian repo? That is problematic for a lot of reasons. That may not have anyting to do with the delay when loggin in, but it's a clue.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Data007

#13 Post by Data007 »

bw123 wrote:
Data007 wrote:A rather surprised and confused user.
If you do try a new install, stretch would be the way to go. Then after getting it setup, if you want you can move to testing, after backing up your working installation.
Hmm this happened on Stretch to.

bw123 wrote:
KDE plasma 5 or kf5 or whatever they are calling it is pretty good, I've been using it for a couple of months on a laptop and a desktop, uptimes over ten days with no problems. It did take some setup and and some patience though. I'm the kind of guy that likes to setup once, then basically change little to nothing for a couple of years if possible.

On your problem:

The file desktop-menu-dummy.menu is not found in buster according to this:
https://packages.debian.org/search?sear ... g&arch=any

So you may have installed something from a non-debian repo? That is problematic for a lot of reasons. That may not have anyting to do with the delay when loggin in, but it's a clue.
I am bedding in a fresh install of Buster Alpha 2, you mention about installing software from other repos. This is hard to avoid one must even to get the latest "Firefox" Quantum(unless its changed since I installed stretch its not availble). Yes Ive added a ppa for screenlets and a few other odd bits. Perhapse Debian and me are not a godod match I like the new the bling and other eye sound candy.
Dummy menu I nhad a look but did not see it mentioned, but thanks for the pointer. this time I have so far left the loging process alone but its hard jgnoring that eye candy.
I postted I think about alltering sddm.conf this gives a more pleasing to my eye login experence. I cant see though how just adding a simple one line to it can cause a dummy menu.

bw123

#14 Post by bw123 »

Data007 wrote:
bw123 wrote:
Hmm this happened on Stretch to.
It is not happening for me on stretch. /etc/apt/sources.list.d is empty, and here's my sources.list

Code: Select all

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stretch main
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stretch-updates main
deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security stretch/updates main
I removed all of the EDIT:packagekit, discover, apper, daily-upgrades, auto upgrades, etc in the default task-kde-desktop and never use the store.kde.org or any of the get-hot-new-stuff or links like that built into the desktop. I only use aptitude for software, and I only use debian repos.
Data007 wrote: I am bedding in a fresh install of Buster Alpha 2, you mention about installing software from other repos. This is hard to avoid one must even to get the latest "Firefox" Quantum(unless its changed since I installed stretch its not availble). Yes Ive added a ppa for screenlets and a few other odd bits.
Never heard of Buster Alpha 2, and I don't use testing but there's a pretty good wiki on how it works
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianTesting

And there is documentation here about using other repos.
https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian ... nkenDebian
Data007 wrote: Perhapse Debian and me are not a godod match I like the new the bling and other eye sound candy.
I think you can do what you want, many people try to use ppa with debian, and I bet some do it successfully for awhile. Some people install all kinds of brand new stuff, and seem to enjoy constant breakage. That's cool, testing is good, without it we wouldn't get good packages into stable.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Data007

#15 Post by Data007 »

bw123 wrote:
Never heard of Buster Alpha 2, and I don't use testing but there's a pretty good wiki on how it works
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianTesting

And there is documentation here about using other repos.
https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian ... nkenDebian
Buster is the code name for Debian 10 same as stretch is for 9.x

This hidden menu this black hidden menu is there settings available to edit it, Ive staid away this time from edditing sddm.conf (I was only changing one line adding a plasma.desktop entry which gave a far nicer login action) Iam just wondering what to edit to access the settings of this menu, plz(black-hidden)!!!!! Then one would have the ammo to work with it when if it arrives. Its not arrived yet but all one needs in my experience is a powercut(as in the machine not to shutdown fully for it to reappear). Either the power cut or if one alters the boot wallpaper from with in the fabreez settings within KDE

Hidden Menu what does it do. Anyone

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#16 Post by sunrat »

Buster Alpha 2 is a release of the installer, not a distro alpha release. These installer pre-releases have been known to be buggy.
https://www.debian.org/devel/debian-ins ... 7/20171206

You will most likely need to install firmware-amd-graphics for your Radeon card to work properly. If you haven't done that, it is a probable cause for your issue.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Data007

#17 Post by Data007 »

sunrat wrote:Buster Alpha 2 is a release of the installer, not a distro alpha release. These installer pre-releases have been known to be buggy.
https://www.debian.org/devel/debian-ins ... 7/20171206

You will most likely need to install firmware-amd-graphics for your Radeon card to work properly. If you haven't done that, it is a probable cause for your issue.
Thanks for the clarification about Buster.

As I want to get to the bottom off the problem and thus help others I will but only give it small mention. You Mention about installing the apprepiate drivers for my
Amd/ATI Radseon card this I belive I have done, I have attempted to follow this guide
https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install- ... etch-linux
The output visual on screen is perfect apart from one minor flaw.`
I enclose a post from the STEAM forums from where I have also gotten some advice on installing steam(Steam wanted for the chat interface only not necessarily the games)
Please, try to only share: glxinfo | grep OpenGL

In the other hand, what is your current problem? By the output you have mesa drivers properly installed. The only "bad" thing is that mesa 13 is a little old, so it may be better to update to mesa 17.2, at least. Is that what you want?
I would be instrested in some help as to how to upgrade/install a better MESA.............. I cant get the "glxinfo | grep OpenGL" command to work this time round this being a more recent build
to try and get arround this black screen of (dare I say death) that is plauging KDE.

It has been reported in one youtubers reports all over the internet. Is there a way to affect change this "Black Menu" pause that initial'y started for 5 sec and them moved on to 50sec pause.
ACTUAL time measured by a stop watch.

I have done the drivers I would then ususly moving on to adding a single line to my login experience.
Could you post your

cat /etc/sddm.conf

[Autologin]
Relogin=false
Session=
User=

<snip>

Append

plasma.desktop

to

Session =
I usually apply the fix of adding the extra plasma desktop line to give the login screen a needed face lift(the outcome is only a slight cosmetic one). I have also gone down the lines off installing a different lauch theam to the one included Kde breeze dark, before. I have strayed away from the two tweaks so far in the hopes of avoiding "Black screen Login"

I am a youtuber "Steve Does Linux" is the channel name I know it is possible to replace again ins-total this "Black screen" allowing one to graphically have clocks on the login screen and so on I again have resisted looking into these areas to.

How to Avoid Fix this Black screen issue. ANYONE

Data007

#18 Post by Data007 »

Hi
Just for the record I know longer have the blacksreen issu's nor do I have the sddm.conf file anymore.
--
Steve Does Linux <==youtube