Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] UEFI boot doesn't detect GRUB and launches windows.

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
akka-vodol

[SOLVED] UEFI boot doesn't detect GRUB and launches windows.

#1 Post by akka-vodol »

I installed Debian with a dual-boot on my acer Predator, and the installation ran without issues but in the end the computer rebooted to windows immediately. The BIOS doesn't even see that there is another boot option available. My computer runs on UEFI, and I think it's using the fallback bootloader directly instead of following UEFI boot procedure. If so, how can I install a fallback bootloader which would boot GRUB ?

Here are the details of my installation :
My computer is this one : https://www.acer.com/datasheets/2016/48 ... F.002.html. I turned off fast-boot in the control panel, then rebooted my computer, accessed the BIOS and disabled secure boot. I booted from a debian net-install DVD, and I followed through the graphical installation. There was firmware which was missing, but from what I can tell it's wi-fi configuration firmware so it shouldn't have anything to do with my problem. Aside from that, the installation went fine. I installed the system on a partition of the computer's second disk.

When my computer restarted after the installation, it launched windows directly. The BIOS doesn't show any system to be booted other than windows. I booted debian on a live CD and used chroot to access my debian installation, which worked fine. I then followed these instructions : https://wiki.debian.org/GrubEFIReinstall to run a grub-install command (I told it to use sda1 as the boot partition). I also followed the instructions for getting the correct fallback bootloader :
cp debian/grubx64.efi boot/bootx64.efi
It's possible that I did something wrong during that process, because I was following multiple tutorials and not entirely sure of what I was doing, but it seems to me like everything works. In the end, I rebooted the computer and nothing had improved.

I don't really know what's going on, if anyone can explain this to me or tell me how to fix it that would be great.
Last edited by akka-vodol on 2017-12-20 08:50, edited 1 time in total.

Segfault

Re: UEFI boot doesn't detect GRUB and only launches windows.

#2 Post by Segfault »

Boot in UEFI mode and run efibootmgr.

lostfarmer

#3 Post by lostfarmer »

akka-vodol

#5 Post by akka-vodol »

I followed the link by lost farmer, and ended up here :
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php ... st13341757
And it actually worked. Problem solved, thanks a lot.

Capitain_Jack

Re: [SOLVED] UEFI boot doesn't detect GRUB and launches wind

#6 Post by Capitain_Jack »

akka-vodol wrote: It's possible that I did something wrong during that process, because I was following multiple tutorials and not entirely sure of what I was doing, but it seems to me like everything works. In the end, I rebooted the computer and nothing had improved.
I don't really know what's going on, if anyone can explain this to me or tell me how to fix it that would be great.
I talked about a similar problem at this post http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... f9#p661268, I guess this Intel chipsets are not correctly programmed, as even if you disable secure boot, it's first automatic boot option is always UEFI. You can try pressing F9 when turning on to access the manual boot selector. If you wish to keep windows, I don't know if it will work, but I"ve managed to get it installed by deleting the old UEFI key on BIOS and than manually boot into UFEI Debian Live USB.
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
Albert Einstein
"All wrong-doing arises because of mind. If mind is transformed can wrong-doing remain?"
Buddha