Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

No bios, help plz!!!!

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
nadielaya7

No bios, help plz!!!!

#1 Post by nadielaya7 »

Was using the regular xfce gui , then I pressed ctrl alt f2 on debian stable xfce, and my computer just died. I cannot access the bios. I have some extremely sensitive data, i am in panic. I cannot boot a cd or anything, as soon as i press f2 on the bios it just gives me a blank screen. I had messed around with the display configuration files before, however everything was working fine until i pressed ctrl alt f2 and then it got stuck after i typed exit and enter because i did not want to be in that shell.

How do i get it to give me boot options, boot from a cd, or give me a bios at least? Wth is this?? I try putting the install cds so it boots from cds and it just does not give me the debian installer!!!! Cd rom was working fine. How can i get my super important sensitive programming data that i was working on for the past year??

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

Re: No bios, help plz!!!!

#2 Post by steve_v »

nadielaya7 wrote:Was using the regular xfce gui , then I pressed ctrl alt f2 on debian stable xfce, and my computer just died. I cannot access the bios.
This is most weird, and honestly it sounds like coincidental hardware failure to me.
What variety of "computer" is this anyway?

As far as Linux vs. BIOS issues go, the only current problem I am aware of is the SPI driver shipped with Ubuntu 17.10 bricking certain Lenovo laptops. Dunno whether this affects Debian or not, but I doubt it.
nadielaya7 wrote:How do i get it to give me boot options, boot from a cd, or give me a bios at least?
First up, do a complete power down (if it's a laptop remove the battery) and clear the CMOS by setting the appropriate jumper / removing the BIOS battery. If you still cannot access the BIOS setup after this (and assuming it's not some loathsome disk based utility - do these still exist?), there's little you can do from the software side. Search for a BIOS recovery / reflash procedure for your make & model. This varies from "Insert specially formatted USB drive" to "Send in the motherboard for EEPROM replacement".
nadielaya7 wrote:How can i get my super important sensitive programming data that i was working on for the past year??
Put the hard disk in another machine, or restore from backup. You do have backups for this years worth of super important data, right?
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

That's a hardware problem - nothing to do with Debian, or any other OS you might have on it.

I take it that it powers on, but no POST or anything further?

Try resetting the BIOS/UEFI to defaults with the jumper if possible (check your MB manual).
Check / reseat all the cable connections and ram, add on cards etc.

If still no joy, you'll need to start replacing parts.

To get your data back, attach the HDD to a working machine.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#4 Post by steve_v »

dilberts_left_nut wrote:I take it that it powers on, but no POST or anything further?
Good point, I should have queried that first.
nadielaya7 wrote:as soon as i press f2 on the bios it just gives me a blank screen.
I read this as: The machine POSTs successfully, and the "press F2 to enter BIOS setup" prompt appears, but pressing F2 results in a blank screen rather than the expected setup utility. Correct?
If it doesn't POST, it's definitely a hardware problem. If that's the case, ignore (most of) what I said and listen to Dilbert.
Which make uses F2 anyway? I don't recognise this one.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

nadielaya7

#5 Post by nadielaya7 »

Does POST. Its a software issue having to do probably with my messing with the computer's display configuration files earlier months ago. That time i set it to a display resolution setting 1600×1200 or something which borked the display. Xfce instead of asking the usual "if you read this text, press whatever or it will revert back to normal in 10 seconds", just  doesnt do this and has you instead have to go in recovery mode and try your luck like that. Design flaw. That time I got it working again by going into home folders x configuration files and typing the default display settings.

This time I was using xfce gui normally, pressed ctrl alt f2 and computer went to the shell. I then immediately wanted back out into normal gui again, so i typed exit right away at the login credentials of the ctrl alt f2 console at the first prompt opportunity you get (at the password asking prompt, first one right awat; did not log in there or type my password right as i just wanted out and typing exit at the password prompt had gotteb me out of these shells successfully  before). After this, the computer's screen went completely black. I waited a bit, then proceeded to power it off and back on as it was stuck at that black screen. Asus  press f2 for bios greeting message appears however for a shorter time now after reboot. I also do not get the usual boot sequence where it asks you what device to boot from. At the asus screen it asks that if you want bios press f2 or delete key. I tried both, and it does not go into bios. After the asus screen it does its little text lines and flickers as to be taking in the monitor's settings like in normal boot, however it then goes black again as it is seemingly reestablishing the messed up display cobfiguration from the ctrl alt f2 state. Its a software issue!!!!

Is there a key combo you can press to revert from ctrl alt f2 back to normal mode or something like that? Must be s way to go from cgrl alt f2 back to X's normal confoguration settings. Looks like a jey combo like that is all it takes hiwever ive searched and cant find it. No way to force it into recovery mode or something from the ctrl alt f2 state display configuration state? Pressed ctrl alt f everything to no avail.

Computer does take ctrl alt delete and reboots. Sometimes its not even doing its little text line adter the asus.

nadielaya7

#6 Post by nadielaya7 »

Wow after letting computer on for a while in the black state, i started pressing ctrl alt f everything / ctrl and keypad minus and plus and then ctrl alt delete and it sort of took a different reboot about it and i now got to bios!!!!!

However i wanted to reproduce it again and now cant do it again. What a retard. Locked out again
Last edited by nadielaya7 on 2017-12-21 13:38, edited 3 times in total.

bw123

#7 Post by bw123 »

Must be s way to go from cgrl alt f2 back to X's normal confoguration settings.
alt-f7 usually takes you back to the VT running X, some newer setups are running X rootless on VT1 now, so alt-F1
resigned by AI ChatGPT

nadielaya7

#8 Post by nadielaya7 »

Anyone know of any ctrl or alt + anything combos at tty other than ctrl alt fn?

GarryRicketson

#9 Post by GarryRicketson »

Anyone know of any ctrl or alt + anything combos at tty other than ctrl alt fn?

Yields some interesting results.
Use the w command to find out which tty your X session uses, so you won't need to guess which Fn to press.

nadielaya7

#10 Post by nadielaya7 »

All i got is asus greet screen for 2 seconds and then blank screen. Please read my posts.

bw123

#11 Post by bw123 »

What debian version are you running? try these and post the results.

Code: Select all

$ uname -a
$ cat /etc/debian_version
also, posting inxi info will give readers you bios version, maybe it's a known issue with that machine.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

GarryRicketson

#12 Post by GarryRicketson »

nadielaya7 wrote:All i got is asus greet screen for 2 seconds and then blank screen. Please read my posts.
I did, but can't make much sense of it.
, i started pressing ctrl alt f everything / ctrl and keypad minus and plus and then ctrl alt delete and it sort of took a different reboot about it and i now got to bios!!!!!
Randomly hitting ctr-alt -f everything, no clue as to what you hit,... amazing, you actually got the bios once, but because what you were doing was random, you have no clue as to how you did it,... Why should I read it all again ?
nadielaya7>>However i wanted to reproduce it again and now cant do it again. What a retard. Locked out again
You said it, not me,...

Read the search results, I saw something about some key combination that
effectively locks you out of the bios, but fortunately it is a "toogle", so if you hit the same key combination again, it toogles, and unlocks the bios.
That is why I said
Yields some interesting results.

nadielaya7

#13 Post by nadielaya7 »

Do not tell me to type anything at the terminal because i dont have anything but a black screen!!

nadielaya7

#14 Post by nadielaya7 »

bw123 wrote:What debian version are you running? try these and post the results.

Code: Select all

$ uname -a
$ cat /etc/debian_version
Only black sceen, no terminal.

nadielaya7

#15 Post by nadielaya7 »

GarryRicketson wrote:
nadielaya7 wrote:All i got is asus greet screen for 2 seconds and then blank screen. Please read my posts.
I did, but can't make much sense of it.
What dont you understand?
Last edited by nadielaya7 on 2017-12-21 15:00, edited 1 time in total.

Segfault

#16 Post by Segfault »

It sure looks like you need to hire someone with basic computer skills to fix it for you. You are even not capable to answer questions asked.

GarryRicketson

#17 Post by GarryRicketson »

nadielaya7 wrote:Do not tell me to type anything at the terminal because i dont have anything but a black screen!!
The key combination to unlock the bios is done when you boot, not from the
terminnal, get sensible, read the search results.

clicked YES

bw123

#18 Post by bw123 »

Yeah his sounds like you are hitting the wrong key, hitting it too late, or maybe you have multimedia keys enabled and need a fn-f2 instead of f2. In addition to that, you borked grub somehow... two different problems.

Sheesh, just try to stay calm we all get confused now and then.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

nadielaya7

#19 Post by nadielaya7 »

These are the hardware specs

Asus 6gb sata 2008

Amd phenom x4
9650 processor

7gb system memory

750 gb hard drive

Super multi dvd burner
With lightscribe technology

Nvidia geforce 9100 integrated graphics
Last edited by nadielaya7 on 2017-12-21 15:54, edited 3 times in total.

bw123

#20 Post by bw123 »

Hp Pavillion and it says Asus when you boot up, okay that makes sense.
resigned by AI ChatGPT