Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

No bios, help plz!!!!

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
nadielaya7

Re: No bios, help plz!!!!

#21 Post by nadielaya7 »

bw123 wrote:Hp Pavillion and it says Asus when you boot up, okay that makes sense.
Forgot i had to replace motherboard long time ago.

Its asus sata 6gb
Lemme see if i can find the exact model

nadielaya7

#22 Post by nadielaya7 »

It seems its not clear what my issue is. . What a train wreck.. Ihave to admit i was going insane yesterday. So much thanks for your help. Ill now take this,to the hw place to get the hard drive remounted and extract the sensitive data instead of trying to reset bios or remount the hard drive myself as per suggested solution. What a nightmare.

After being able to access BIOS once, I am safe to conclude its just a display configuration issue and that the code is still intact.
Something else, this was such a disaster, so happy that i can tell the software development code that i have produced is safe inside.

Lesson learned, if you happen to mess with any deep configuration of the debian system, first thing to do after you get a working solution and are back on track is to REFORMAT and start again, dont hang around with weird changes youve made thinking it wont be able to haunt you back later!! At least at my level that was a huuge lesson. Sorry for typos, was in mobile going berserk Lol

Thanks all!!

pylkko

#23 Post by pylkko »

If your BIOS ever gets completely corrupted so that it does not work, the computer will likely do nothing. I have read many first hand reports from people that have flashed their BIOS chip in some wrong way and usually they always say that they notice it because nothing happens when they put the power on, nothing, no sound, no leds light up and so on.

If your machine does stuff but the screen is black then you should try to interact with it in some manner without a display (for example remote desktop/ ssh).

You can always remove hard disks and attach them to other machines. So it is fairly simple and trivial to recover data from a hard disk by your self without having to pay for some service.

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#24 Post by steve_v »

The lesson to learn from all this is to have a proper backup strategy, so one can make such changes in safety.
Reformat? What? Just restore from backup.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

Segfault

#25 Post by Segfault »

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

bw123

#26 Post by bw123 »

nadielaya7 wrote: Lesson learned, if you happen to mess with any deep configuration of the debian system, first thing to do after you get a working solution and are back on track is to REFORMAT and start again, dont hang around with weird changes youve made thinking it wont be able to haunt you back later!!
Deep configuration of the debian system didn't do this. You using the computer like a cat walking around on the keyboard probably didn't help things, it's obviously a 1D10T error, PEBCAK.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

nadielaya7

#27 Post by nadielaya7 »

bw123 wrote:
nadielaya7 wrote: Lesson learned, if you happen to mess with any deep configuration of the debian system, first thing to do after you get a working solution and are back on track is to REFORMAT and start again, dont hang around with weird changes youve made thinking it wont be able to haunt you back later!!
Deep configuration of the debian system didn't do this. You using the computer like a cat walking around on the keyboard probably didn't help things, it's obviously a 1D10T error, PEBCAK.
Nope! Computer problems , hardware or not, happen to everyone at some point in their lives. Does not make them 1D10TS or anything .
Last edited by nadielaya7 on 2017-12-22 00:30, edited 2 times in total.

nadielaya7

#28 Post by nadielaya7 »

steve_v wrote:The lesson to learn from all this is to have a proper backup strategy, so one can make such changes in safety.
Reformat? What? Just restore from backup.
After the hardware tech and i went over it, sure, it was not the situation. However, from that point of view, at thst moment in time, posting that was the right thing to do becayse I was trying to help others in my situation.

Proper backup, sure. Backup every day, specially if you are a software developer like i am, or a writer, or anyone whos got thst level of sensitive data. Dont wait for day 2 to backup, do it on the spot because someday, its going to happen and you lose your data. Luckily for me this was not the case, will still now inplement the backup every single day of my life in coding approach.

Am i a complete idiot for trying to help others on a forum? For going through a difficult period of my life? For trying to express myself as best as I can? Hell no. You people are seriously sounding like 12 year olds desperate for a chance to feel better about yourselves by flaming a stranger for asking some questions on an online help forum?? Ill look at the bright side and dismiss that, assume the best, and greet everyone a friendly farewell and thanks for readingm life is too short to spend arguing with strangers on an online forum like this. This ridiculous flame you arw trying to do to me, insult me , etc, what a stupid immature thing.

What about the xfce bug? Should revert to normal after ten seconds if no key is pressed. Period. No talk about it, its all FLAME THE N00BZ guys??

I honestly had this forum on a 10 out of ten high regards. Thanks to this unnecessary animosity and try hard arrogance i gotta give it a 7 now.

nadielaya7

#29 Post by nadielaya7 »

pylkko wrote:If your BIOS ever gets completely corrupted so that it does not work, the computer will likely do nothing. I have read many first hand reports from people that have flashed their BIOS chip in some wrong way and usually they always say that they notice it because nothing happens when they put the power on, nothing, no sound, no leds light up and so on.

If your machine does stuff but the screen is black then you should try to interact with it in some manner without a display (for example remote desktop/ ssh).

You can always remove hard disks and attach them to other machines. So it is fairly simple and trivial to recover data from a hard disk by your self without having to pay for some service.
Sure. When you have never evet done it before and your life depends on it level of sensitive data, i went with the tech =)

Its good thst you inform me the level of ease about it though, so thx for that, and thx for reading me out, it was a complete nightmare my hands were trembling at the keyboard you dont understand

GarryRicketson

#30 Post by GarryRicketson »

If it is solved, just mark is as solved, and stop acting like a 12 year old, posting
rants now, calling people names , etc. Just because their attempts at helping you were not the solution.

nadielaya7

#31 Post by nadielaya7 »

GarryRicketson wrote:If it is solved, just mark is as solved, and stop acting like a 12 year old, posting
rants now, calling people names , etc. Just because their attempts at helping you were not the solution.
Ill continue to defend myself from bs like that wherever I may be, online or not. You got a computer problem? "Obviously an 1D10TS." You let peolle walk aover you like that? I dont. No one should.

Even the hardware tech wasnt sure what it was at some point. Big deal. They can spare the stupid immature try hard arrogance.

How about you go over to the person whos actually name calling and complaint at them. Im just defending myself.

After i greet everyone a friendly thank you and farewell, comes this super arrogant insult like that completely unnecessary, and then you come over to defend him about it and tell me to shut up and,take his garbage basically. Well nope, not me!! They should give this guy a forum warning for the unnecessary animosity and trying to disrespect.

And nice copying the 12 yr old comment. Im not the one whos trying to disrespect people on a help forum.

Im not an idiot, thats why i say trying, cause if youre not an idiot, it doesnt really affect you like that. Everyones got computer problems. Some people need to learn some basic forum mannners and common decency.
I just dont take it . Deal with it. Gl on next one kids.

Anyone trying to put other people down on a help forum when they are clearly going through a really bad situation like i was, is the real 1D10T who needs to learn a serious lesson in life. Next time you have a computer crisis, good luck! Too bad this is just a stupid forum, this were real life, you wouldnt say that to my face without a lesson on proper respect .
Last edited by nadielaya7 on 2017-12-22 00:51, edited 1 time in total.

Segfault

#32 Post by Segfault »

Oh no, nobody gave the shoulder to cry on. What a cruel forum this is.

nadielaya7

#33 Post by nadielaya7 »

Segfault wrote:Oh no, nobody gave the shoulder to cry on. What a cruel forum this is.
I dont want a shoulder to cry on., get real

You know i didnt start the name calling and insulting.

What i do want is some common decency and respect in these forums. Leave the stupid name calling out of it. Period. You got a problem with that?
Last edited by nadielaya7 on 2017-12-22 00:56, edited 1 time in total.

GarryRicketson

#34 Post by GarryRicketson »

Why don't you just mark the topic as solved, and do the crying on your mothers shoulder ?

Forum guidelines. Please read before more posts!
The following might get your post/ thread LOCKED
- Flaming/ personal attacks
- Obvious trolling
- Thread has wandered way off topic
by nadielaya7 »How about you go over to the person whos actually name calling
I did, but the did not listen, / read, when I suggested they mark the topic as solved, and stop acting like a 12 year old,.so I reported the person.
The rest is up to a moderator or admin.

nadielaya7

#35 Post by nadielaya7 »

GarryRicketson wrote:Why don't you just mark the topic as solved, and do the crying on your mothers shoulder ?

- Obvious trolling
I did, but the did not listen, / read, when I suggested they mark the topic as solved, and stop acting like a 12 year old,.so I reported the person.
How about, again, you actually read the actual posts. I DID NOT start the name calling / insults. Im specifically talking about bw123, who after i greeted everyone a friendly farewell, decided to call me an idiot like that.

The only person who needs to get reported for this thread is bw123 for calling me an "1D10T "
Last edited by nadielaya7 on 2017-12-22 01:03, edited 1 time in total.

nadielaya7

#36 Post by nadielaya7 »

GarryRicketson wrote:Why don't you just mark the topic as solved, and do the crying on your mothers shoulder ?

- Obvious trolling
Cause im not even crying, im just defending myself from bw123s insult. This is clear as day, i did not start the insulting. Scroll up and check it out. He called me an idiot, i did not start it, whats wrong with you??

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#37 Post by 4D696B65 »

Both of you stop it