Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Where are you from? Which language uses/speaks?*edited

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Capitain_Jack

Where are you from? Which language uses/speaks?*edited

#1 Post by Capitain_Jack »

Eu sou do Brasil, falo Português nativo, inglês e um pouco de espanhol, e você?

I am from Brazil, speak native Portuguese, English and very little Spanish, and you?

Soy de Brasil, hablo portugués nativo, inglés y muy poco español, ¿y tú?

Edit: Title edited because of witch season.
Last edited by Capitain_Jack on 2017-12-22 18:06, edited 1 time in total.
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
Albert Einstein
"All wrong-doing arises because of mind. If mind is transformed can wrong-doing remain?"
Buddha

GarryRicketson

Re: Where are you from? Witch language uses/speaks?

#2 Post by GarryRicketson »

I was curious, because I am not sure what a "Witch" language is, so :
What is a witch language ?

So any way after looking at the results, I can only say, I don't speak any "witch" language, my wife does though, and she flies around on a broom
at night, some times even during the day.

The language I speak mostly is Spanish, (none of my family or neighbours speak English).
But actually English was what I learned in school and as my first language, I all ways did not like it much because the spelling can be so confusing, and some tines even the spell checker is of no use,
I mean, both "witch", and "which", show as being spelled correctly, but the meaning is entirely different.
Which language I speak, or which food I like the best,...
https://howtospell.co.uk/which-witch-is-which
In Spanish it is easier,... a witch is "bruja", which is "cuál" ....
as in Which is best,= Cuál es el mejor,
Which one is best
a wife that is a witch or a wife that is a angel ?
Cuál es el mejor
una esposa que es una bruja o una esposa que es un ángel?
I have also learned some Navajo, but it is not used much , out side the pueblos, in my pueblo here, some of the older people speak another language, I do not know the name, my wife told me once , but I have forgotten,
any way, a interesting thing , is there is a striking similarity with the pueblo language here and the Navajo pueblos, some 1500 miles north of here, in the U.S.
There are many languages, and many forum members speak / write various languages, it would be rather confusing, if we all posted and wrote in or "local" language. Also the storage space it takes to store translations of each language, well it takes a lot of space, ..... so any way, that is why the founder of this forum decided to just use English as the main language on the board, even though his language was actually German,....
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6
----------------- edit ------------------------
This is a translator I like, also have it on my PC..
https://www.apertium.org/index.eng.html ... ranslation
Last edited by GarryRicketson on 2017-12-22 18:21, edited 1 time in total.

Capitain_Jack

Re: Where are you from? Witch language uses/speaks?

#3 Post by Capitain_Jack »

GarryRicketson wrote:so any way, that is why the founder of this forum decided to just use English as the main language on the board, even though his language was actually German,....
But which country are you from? (nada de bruja :lol: )
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
Albert Einstein
"All wrong-doing arises because of mind. If mind is transformed can wrong-doing remain?"
Buddha

GarryRicketson

Re: Where are you from? Which language uses/speaks?*edited

#4 Post by GarryRicketson »

I was born in the US, but never really settled any where, my life was rather
"migratory", living and working as far south as Guatemala, but in the summer
I worked as far north as Canada, I have settled down now, and do not travel much, Mexico has been my "home" for the last 18 0r 19 years, I am from where
ever I was yesterday, if I travel, I am from where ever I came from the day before.
----- edited ----------
One time, when I was in Canada, and there were a lot of geese, I asked one
of them, "Hi Mr, Goose,... where are you from ?" He said, " I came from the south, I think it was New Mexico,..",,.. Since I grew up in New Mexico, this was
interesting, so I said, "Hey, that's cool, I came from there myself,",... But when I asked another goose, in New Mexico, "Hey Mr Goose, guess your glad to be home again,..",.. The goose said, "Oh, no,... I this is not my home, I came from Canada,..."
Some times I have been called a "home less person", this one lady one time,
I was painting the library, don't remember where, but I needed some money, and wanted to work, so the person in charge put me to work painting,... this
lady came, and she commented " Oh, your that home less person aren't you ?"
well her tone, was pretty condescending , but any way I politely responded,
"No ma'am, I am not home less, I have a home in a Kingdom far away, with my Lord, I am just a traveller",.... I am not sure what I said to offend her, but the statement sure made her mad, she changed colour from white to scarlet red, and said " Humpf, well I never..." went stomping away, got in her car, slamming the door,... then she got out, went storming into the library, I could hear her screaming at the Librarian , the person that hired me, but could not make sense of what I heard, the she came out, still extremely angry,.. the Librarian following, the lady got in her car, and went a way, apparently even more angry, according to the librarian this lady had demanded that they fire me, that it was not appropriate to be hiring some "home less" person to do work at the library, bla, bla,... So the librarian asked me what I had said, that made her so mad,... when I told her, she laughed, told me not to worry,...the lady was a known trouble causer, and had psychological problems. The increase in her anger was because the librarian had told her to go home and
not come back,...
How ever, any way, I learned a lesson as well, some people get offended, easily, so I will just stick with , I was born in New Mexico, and now live in Mexico, ...if I went to Texas, tomorrow, I would say I came from Mexico, if asked, but since the license plates on my car are Mexican, no need to ask, it is
pretty obvious where I came from.
Last edited by GarryRicketson on 2017-12-22 18:59, edited 1 time in total.

Bloom
df -h | grep > 90TiB
df -h | grep > 90TiB

#5 Post by Bloom »

I was born, raised, living and working in Belgium, Europe. My mothertongue is Dutch and I live in the Flemish part of Belgium, home to ca 60% of the people. 39% of Belgians speak French and 1% speaks German as their mothertongue.
I can speak Dutch, German, English and French.
Last edited by Bloom on 2017-12-24 05:38, edited 1 time in total.

HuangLao

#6 Post by HuangLao »

Live: USA
Languages: English, Mandarin, German, Spanish, some French

anticapitalista

#7 Post by anticapitalista »

Live in Greece.
Mother tongue English (British)
Speak English (obviously) and Greek. Intend to learn Arabic one day.
antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

alan stone

#8 Post by alan stone »

I am from Image and Image, am grateful to my parents, grandparents, teachers and mentors for teaching me the importance and enrichment of learning to speak several languages - currently: english, french, dutch, (a bit) spinach - correction: spanish, (a bit) german - live here: Image and here: Image.

FYI: a very good resource for learning anything.

EDIT: added some further clarification.
Last edited by alan stone on 2017-12-23 05:21, edited 1 time in total.

ticojohn

#9 Post by ticojohn »

alan stone wrote:I am from Image speak english, french, dutch, (a bit) spinach - correction: spanish, (a bit) german and live here: Image
Good answers. I currently live in Costa Rica and speak some English and some Spanish. Don't claim to be fluent in either language but I get by well enough. As to where I am from, I frequently tell people "from between my mothers' legs", but that doesn't go over very well. :roll:
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

Head_on_a_Stick

#10 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

I am from Wallasey[1] and I speak English, I am a determined monoglot :mrgreen:

[1] Big up the Seacombe Massive!
deadbang

ticojohn

#11 Post by ticojohn »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:I am from Wallasey[1] and I speak English, I am a determined monoglot :mrgreen:
So do you Ferry cross the Mersey ? Sorry, I had to say that.
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

Head_on_a_Stick

#12 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

^ Frequently :D

The really annoying thing about the journey is that they actually play that ****ing song over the tannoy as you approach the Liverpool docks... :roll:
deadbang

Wheelerof4te

#13 Post by Wheelerof4te »

I live in Serbian entity of Bosnia. I speak serbo-croatian, english and know a few words and phrases in japanese.

Segfault

#14 Post by Segfault »

What? There are other languages besides english? You are pulling my leg. Next you'll probably tell there are other countries behind US boundaries, too. Ha.

fmp

#15 Post by fmp »

born in the us, lived in canada most of my adult life. currently living in the us.
my languages are more diversified in code languages than interpersonal languages :D

GarryRicketson

#16 Post by GarryRicketson »

Segfault wrote:What? There are other languages besides english? You are pulling my leg. Next you'll probably tell there are other countries behind US boundaries, too. Ha.
No, seriously, not pulling your leg,...

Well the term used is Nations, but yes there are many Nations, within the U.S boundaries, and they had/have their languages , before any one had even heard of the "English" speakers. Some were well established, a long time before the the immigrants decided to make the the United States,...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribal_so ... ted_States
First Nation: The few First Nation peoples left — Native Americans who never gave up their land to white settlers — are mainly in the harshly Arctic north of Canada and Alaska. They have sovereignty over their lands, but their population is only around 300,000.
In Canada is where I met Mr.Goose,... he did not speak english, nor french,...
oops,... I guess that is another topic,...
from:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navajo_Nation The Navajo Nation (Naabeehó Bináhásdzo) is a Native American territory covering about 17,544,500 acres (71,000 km2; 27,413 sq mi), occupying portions of northeastern Arizona, southeastern Utah, and northwestern New Mexico in the United States. This is the largest land area retained by a Native American tribe, with a population of roughly 340,000.
Another topic, so I won't go into details, but try a search on the "Ant people",
they have entire Nations, and countries, under the entire North American continent,... and they are very real.

Segfault

#17 Post by Segfault »

Nah, can't be, I asked my neighbor, he is a tower crane operator and can see far. He said there are no other nations.

fmp

#18 Post by fmp »

GarryRicketson wrote: Another topic, so I won't go into details, but try a search on the "Ant people",
they have entire Nations, and countries, under the entire North American continent,... and they are very real.
things just got real in here :shock:

alan stone

#19 Post by alan stone »

Segfault wrote:What? ... Next you'll probably tell there are other countries behind US boundaries, too. Ha.
From outside the US boundaries I hear those living behind US boundaries who scream "US(a)! US(a)! US(a)!" so loud they're not worth listening to anymore. Similarly and samewise in other "civilised" countries. Simplifies life a lot. :mrgreen:
Last edited by alan stone on 2017-12-26 10:26, edited 1 time in total.

alan stone

#20 Post by alan stone »

ticojohn wrote:I frequently tell people "from between my mothers' legs", but that doesn't go over very well. :roll:
Makes me wonder. Are those not born the natural way artificial intelligence :?: