Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED?] several questions

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
optimist

[SOLVED?] several questions

#1 Post by optimist »

Greetings etc

Have just moved from using HandyLinux and now have Jessie 8.1.

Apologies if these topics have previously been covered, but I could not find them when 'searching'
so I am hoping more knowledgable/experienced users on here will be able to solve these problems.

First - how do I remove the dock which has appeared on the desktop after moving from HandyLinux?
Can find no refence to this item anywhere - even searched the software listing for anything installed
that might refer to this - zilch. Tried the 'man thing' in terminal - again, zilch.

Second - I need to move the panel (currently at the top of the screen) to where it previously was (and ought to be), at the bottom. I tried using panel preferences and selecting 'unlock' but it does not help. Possibly being prevented by the presence of the aforementioned dock? Another reason to dislike the thing! :-)

Third - when I open Services I am no longer able to select certain items (ones that were previously selected while in HandyLinux) even after authenticating this action. Furthermore, why is the box
containing these various items so small? There is a relatively enormous amount of space below this
box within the Services area and it really takes ages to scroll through the items - which are now 'un-selectable' - in this ridiculously small box.

Fourth - in the Pictures folder there is a Wallpapers folder and in there are three hideous cartoon wallpapers which I never chose to install, don't know where they came from (they were not there
when I first installed HandyLinux) - presumably via some update while on HandyLinux?
I want to remove these, but trying to move to Trash/delete is denied - tried amending permissions
which did nothing to help; have opened a root terminal and used apt-get remove (copied & pasted
said item) and that did not work either... strongly suspect that any more experienced users reading
this are by now convulsed in laughter.

Useful 'plain-English' assistance re the above will be appreciated.

Thanks
Last edited by optimist on 2017-12-29 09:07, edited 3 times in total.

Segfault

Re: several questions

#2 Post by Segfault »

Assuming you kept your home directory? I guess your new UID is different, thus you don't own your own configuration files any more. If this is the case run chown on your home directory, recursively.

optimist

#3 Post by optimist »

Thanks for the response.

UID? You mean 'user ID'? Well, the only thing that changed when moving from HandyLinux was the desktop
and the ability to select items in Services - as far as I know. Everything else is as before... I was unable to
remove the items in the Wallpapers folder while on HandyLinux.

Run chown? - sorry for the ignorance, but assume you mean type something in Terminal... so can you be
more specific as I do not want to make matters worse than they are. :-)

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

I think you'ld better take a couple steps back, and explain your current environment to us a bit better.

How, exactly, did you "move from HandyLinux to Jessie"?

What DE were you using on Handy, and what DE did you choose for Jessie?
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#5 Post by steve_v »

optimist wrote:Run chown? - sorry for the ignorance, but assume you mean type something in Terminal... so can you be
more specific
Dude, man chown. Look at the bit that mentions "recursive". It's not complicated, all Segfault is suggesting is changing ownership of everything in your home directory to your user.
That said, it's probably a reasonable idea to see if that is the problem first:

Code: Select all

find ~/ ! -user $UID
will list all files in your home that are not owned by you. On most installs that should be none at all, if it lists a bunch of files see above on chown to fix it.
Ed. I need code box to render tidle correctly? Eh whut?
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

optimist

#6 Post by optimist »

dilberts_left_nut wrote:I think you'ld better take a couple steps back, and explain your current environment to us a bit better.

How, exactly, did you "move from HandyLinux to Jessie"?

What DE were you using on Handy, and what DE did you choose for Jessie?

Agreed - so here is the info you requested:

Move from HL to Jessie was as recommended by HL Team's web-site - using a script "Handy2Debian".
When activating this it gave a warning that the HL overlay (log-in and general HL appearance) would be
removed - which is what I expected.
Went ahead with this and after about 20 seconds system re-booted and gave me the Debian log-in
screen which accepted my user name & password, but then I arrived at a desktop with that stupid
immovable dock and the panel - in the wrong place.... :-)
Checking the list of applications - most references to HandyLinux are now inoperative - although, as
indicated on their site, the ones for Handysoft & Handy update checker still function.

As for the DE - on HL it was xfce4, and as there was no option to choose an alternative DE during
the transition from HL to Jessie, I assume it remained so. Have just checked list of installed software
and it confirms that xfce4 is installed (version 4.12).

Also, the correct owner's name appears on the panel at top-right.

Thanks for your response & hope this will assist you to assist me! :-)

Segfault

#7 Post by Segfault »

FYI, the system identifies users by their UID and GID, not username.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

OK, still not really clear what you have now, but it sounds like gnome rather than Xfce.
If so, that's the way the gnome devs want you to use it and they don't provide much in the way of customisability.

If you have xfce installed you should be able to choose it at the login screen.

I don't.really have any interest in learning about Handylinux to try to understand what the differences are, or what the issues may be with your transitional system.

If you want to run Debian I'd suggest a fresh install of stable.
If nothing else, it will give you a 'known state' system that we'll be better able to provide advice on.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

Wheelerof4te

#9 Post by Wheelerof4te »

I too reccomend clean install of Debian. First back up all your data, then download installer image of Debian. There are a few options to choose from, network install, DVD and Cd install. If you want XFCE only, try using CD version. If using network install, connect Ethernet cable first, before booting.
https://www.debian.org/CD/
Bear in mind that you will get minimal, bare-bones version of XFCE 4.12, as intended by the upstream devs. You will be able to customize it with different icons, themes and such.

Lysander

#10 Post by Lysander »

optimist wrote:Move from HL to Jessie was as recommended by HL Team's web-site - using a script "Handy2Debian".
Sounds like a recipe for absolute disaster. Both now and in the long-term.

Fresh install is the only way.

optimist

#11 Post by optimist »

dilberts_left_nut wrote:OK, still not really clear what you have now, but it sounds like gnome rather than Xfce.
If so, that's the way the gnome devs want you to use it and they don't provide much in the way of customisability.

If you have xfce installed you should be able to choose it at the login screen.

I don't.really have any interest in learning about Handylinux to try to understand what the differences are, or what the issues may be with your transitional system.

If you want to run Debian I'd suggest a fresh install of stable.
If nothing else, it will give you a 'known state' system that we'll be better able to provide advice on.

Thanks for getting back - fully appreciate your point about not wishing to learn about HL.

However, I have now fixed points one & two of my original post - after checking again with
software available and already installed - turns out that it isn't a 'dock' but a 'launcher'...
and further exploration led me to discover how to fix the problem - although I still think
it was well hidden. :-)

This comment about choosing a DE at log-in mystifies me, as when GRUB starts I just
leave it to do it's thing as there is no other OS and eventually I get the welcome screen.
I type in the user name and then next screen is for the password - then the desktop.
There has never been a choice of DE option. Not especially bothered by that as what
appears is now fine (after fixing the problems I had - which were more of a cosmetic
nature I suppose).

Thanks again for responding.

optimist

#12 Post by optimist »

Wheelerof4te wrote:I too recommend clean install of Debian. First back up all your data, then download installer image of Debian. There are a few options to choose from, network install, DVD and Cd install. If you want XFCE only, try using CD version. If using network install, connect Ethernet cable first, before booting.
https://www.debian.org/CD/
Bear in mind that you will get minimal, bare-bones version of XFCE 4.12, as intended by the upstream devs. You will be able to customize it with different icons, themes and such.

Thanks for the info - will keep that in mind, although I am now exploring how to fix points three & four...
which while they are somewhat in the background are more serious than one & two. But, even if I can't
fix this matter I feel it will still be good experience (the endless learning etc.).

I don't need a full install - too cluttered with stuff I wouldn't use, like Libre Office - you couldn't pay
me to look at a spreadsheet! :-)

optimist

#13 Post by optimist »

Segfault wrote:FYI, the system identifies users by their UID and GID, not username.
Received & understood.

pendrachken

#14 Post by pendrachken »

That's the default Debian XFCE layout, at least one of them. You can get rid of the dock / launcher by unlocking it and deleting it. There should be two panels that are configured, one is the panel with the application tray ( currently at the top ) and one that is the dock ( at the bottom ) Right clicking on either one will give you the option to configure panels, delete the dock panel, and select the option to show the top panel on the bottom instead of on the top.

Other than that, I would switch away from the repositories that got left behind to the official Debian ones, see setting up apt repositories on the debian wiki.

Looking through the scripts that run, a spaghetti mess of BASH > python > BASH script that actually does the work... It seems that they basically just toss in some grub backgrounds and boot menu backgrounds and a custom desktop / BASH config on top of Debian and call it a new OS. "Switching" to Debian should be straight forward as UIDs / GIDs don't change at all.

If in doubt at all though, just reinstall a pure Debian system from Debian install media.
fortune -o
Your love life will be... interesting.
:twisted: How did it know?

The U.S. uses the metric system too, we have tenths, hundredths and thousandths of inches :-P

optimist

#15 Post by optimist »

pendrachken wrote:That's the default Debian XFCE layout, at least one of them. You can get rid of the dock / launcher by unlocking it and deleting it. There should be two panels that are configured, one is the panel with the application tray ( currently at the top ) and one that is the dock ( at the bottom ) Right clicking on either one will give you the option to configure panels, delete the dock panel, and select the option to show the top panel on the bottom instead of on the top.

Other than that, I would switch away from the repositories that got left behind to the official Debian ones, see setting up apt repositories on the debian wiki.

Looking through the scripts that run, a spaghetti mess of BASH > python > BASH script that actually does the work... It seems that they basically just toss in some grub backgrounds and boot menu backgrounds and a custom desktop / BASH config on top of Debian and call it a new OS. "Switching" to Debian should be straight forward as UIDs / GIDs don't change at all.

If in doubt at all though, just reinstall a pure Debian system from Debian install media.

Thanks for your advice - and even though I have now (finally) fixed the panel/dock issue, I certainly
appreciate you posting explicit instructions on how to do this - that's what I eventually discovered.
And you have confirmed I was doing it properly.

A relief to read your comment ""Switching" to Debian should be straight forward as UIDs / GIDs
don't change at all." as I have been led to believe that is not an unusual thing to happen...

Still exploring and learning about these 'ownership' issues - which is hardly surprising.
Won't be very often in the next few days though - for obvious reasons!

Hope you, and other people who responded usefully, have an enjoyable, safe time.

Enjoyed your line about the US metric system... :-)

optimist

#16 Post by optimist »

Well, the third and fourth points are now fixed...

The issue with Services fixed itself (how? no idea...) but when I next logged in and checked,
all was as it should be.

Matter of deleting certain items has been achieved by using a different file-manager, although
why that should make any difference is odd.

Strolling through other sections of the forum, including 'Beginners', it is obvious there are many
far more savvy than myself who are struggling to make this work.

Appreciate those who gave their time to offer useful advice, but I will now zap the partition
and install something more functional (no - not Ubuntu); there are other things to do and it is,
after all, only a computer... :-)