Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Windows doesn't see an hdd formatted with linux

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
dafunk

Windows doesn't see an hdd formatted with linux

#1 Post by dafunk »

Hi, I don't know if someone can help me (may it's more a windows issue)....but still....I'v formatted 1 Tb hdd with mkfs.ntfs on debian and all goes allright, in debian I can see the hdd and copy/delete files as usual, but when plug on windows (maybe 7,,,it,s not my pc) the disk is not present on computer (where all disk are showed) and he can not access to it (the person that I gave it told me that it's seem showed in the hardware peripheral disk)....I'v reformat the hdd??...at the first time I do the following..

sudo dd if/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb1 (sdb1 is the disk)
mkfs.ntfs /dev/sdb1

something is worng??.....why I can access from linux and not from windows??

Thanks at all!!

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Windows doesn't see an hdd formatted with linux

#2 Post by p.H »

dafunk wrote:sudo dd if/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb1 (sdb1 is the disk)
No, /dev/sdb1 is a partition, not a disk. The disk is /dev/sdb.
This command took a very long time to complete on a 1-TB disk, and was rather useless. Erasing only the first few megabytes was enough. to delete previous filesystem signature. Or use wipefs.

Does the partition have the proper NTFS type identifier in the partition table ? Linux does not care but Windows may require it.

dafunk

#3 Post by dafunk »

thank you p.H, sorry I'v use sudo dd if/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb....indeed it make a lot for complete the task...what's wipefs??...how can I check if is present an ntfs partition type identifier and can I add it without format the hdd again??...or how can I format with the partition type identifier??

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by p.H »

Just use your favourite partitioning program (fdisk, parted, gparted...) to display or change the partition type identifier.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by p.H »

dafunk wrote: I'v use sudo dd if/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb
Then you erased the partition table, not only the partition contents. Did you also format the whole disk /dev/sdb (instead of sdb1) with mkfs.ntfs ?
If so, maybe Windows does not support an NTFS filesystem on an unpartitionned device.

debiman

#6 Post by debiman »

long story short, install gparted and use that to create a windows-compatible disk.

stop messing about with dd, your command seems to have a typo in it anyway.

Wheelerof4te

#7 Post by Wheelerof4te »

As explained here:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=135555
you should not fiddle with dd command if you don't know what you're doing.