Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED with chroot] Older App's with snap?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
bester69

[SOLVED with chroot] Older App's with snap?

#1 Post by bester69 »

Hi,
I was wondering, can i use snap in order to install some very old linux app's versions.

I was thinking of using a wheezy Virtual machine in order to build the snap's app, so then i can install it in stretch... is this possible?? :roll:

thanks.
Last edited by bester69 on 2017-12-26 13:05, edited 3 times in total.
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

anticapitalista

Re: Older App's with snap?

#2 Post by anticapitalista »

Try it and let us know how it went.
antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

Examples?

Wheezy is still maintained and gets security updates, but any older and you will get abandoned library versions with known security holes, and that will happen to Wheezy in six months.
MX Linux packager and developer

bester69

#4 Post by bester69 »

stevepusser wrote:Examples?

Wheezy is still maintained and gets security updates, but any older and you will get abandoned library versions with known security holes, and that will happen to Wheezy in six months.
ok, My question, is .. can i install thoses ones in stretch by creating a snap?.. Imagine the scenario when an old app has been abandoned (i.e. an older one than wheezy) and you would like to use it. Snap make use of apparmor isolation, i think there are not big risks.
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

deborah-and-ian

#5 Post by deborah-and-ian »

can i install thoses ones in stretch by creating a snap?
I think you'll have more luck asking over at the snapcraft forums[1] or just trying to build a snap yourself[2].

[1] https://forum.snapcraft.io/categories
[2] https://docs.snapcraft.io/build-snaps/
Debian GNU/Linux 9 Stretch w/Openbox

Acer Aspire E5-521G
AMD A8-6410 APU
4 GB RAM
integrated AMD Mullins
dedicated AMD Hainan Radeon R5 M240 2 GB
240 GB Toshiba Q300 SSD
Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 ethernet
Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 wireless

anticapitalista

#6 Post by anticapitalista »

bester69 wrote:
stevepusser wrote:Examples?

ok, My question, is .. can i install thoses ones in stretch by creating a snap?.. Imagine the scenario when an old app has been abandoned (i.e. an older one than wheezy) and you would like to use it. Snap make use of apparmor isolation, i think there are not big risks.
... and again I answer, try it and let us know how it went.
antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

pcalvert

#7 Post by pcalvert »

You may be able to run a small Wheezy system on Stretch inside an LXC container. Just another potential way to solve the problem...

Phil
Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.

bester69

#8 Post by bester69 »

pcalvert wrote:You may be able to run a small Wheezy system on Stretch inside an LXC container. Just another potential way to solve the problem...

Phil
That sound interesting, I will take it a look, Is it easy to deploy?

thanks

HuangLao

#9 Post by HuangLao »

just run wheezy in a VM or chroot and block all internet access to that VM or chroot. Lots of people run old OS's this way, even satellites etc...

bester69

#10 Post by bester69 »

HuangLao wrote:just run wheezy in a VM or chroot and block all internet access to that VM or chroot. Lots of people run old OS's this way, even satellites etc...
I cant use VM solution, I cant virtualize 64 bits systems....
I didnt know chroot was able to use it in that way, so i can install a wheezy system and then, run wheezy's apps from streetch by using chroot??. I have to test this!!. thanks.

bester69

#11 Post by bester69 »

bester69 wrote:
HuangLao wrote:just run wheezy in a VM or chroot and block all internet access to that VM or chroot. Lots of people run old OS's this way, even satellites etc...
I cant use VM solution, I cant virtualize 64 bits systems....
I didnt know chroot was able to use it in that way, so i can install a wheezy system and then, run wheezy's apps from streetch by using chroot??. I have to test this!!. thanks.
Ive seen chroot works, thats very cool to play with btrfs's snapshots, I can now run olders apps and some frankendebian apps without having to restore my sytem backup by playing with "chroots the snapshots".

This is very cool!!, you can run several differents versions at the same time. :o

pcalvert

#12 Post by pcalvert »

bester69 wrote: That sound interesting, I will take it a look, Is it easy to deploy?
Not really. Expect to read a bunch of documentation and/or tutorials to get everything working. Even so, I'm not sure how mature LXC is on Debian at present.

Phil
Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.

bester69

#13 Post by bester69 »

pcalvert wrote:
bester69 wrote: That sound interesting, I will take it a look, Is it easy to deploy?
Not really. Expect to read a bunch of documentation and/or tutorials to get everything working. Even so, I'm not sure how mature LXC is on Debian at present.

Phil
ok, THANKS Phill
I tried LXD, but i gave it up, It seems some difficult to deploy, at the moment I will pick chroot solution for my own, Im really delighted with it, i didnt know chroot could work that way.

Ive just installed a Wheezy's VLC/chromium and runned in stretch with chroot and debootstrap; its very easy do implement.
(sudo debootstrap --variant=minbase wheezy tt/ http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian )--> Minimal debian

Head_on_a_Stick

#14 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

bester69 wrote:(sudo debootstrap --variant=minbase wheezy tt/ http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian )--> Minimal debian
I like to debootstrap containers into btrfs subvolumes so that they are independently bootable (once a kernel is installed ofc) :)

EDIT: any filesystem trees (including subvolumes) installed under /var/lib/machines/ can be managed via machinectl(1):

Code: Select all

~ $ machinectl --all --no-pager
MACHINE CLASS     SERVICE        OS   VERSION ADDRESSES
.host   host      -              arch -       192.168.1.69...
chroot  container systemd-nspawn arch -       -

2 machines listed.
~ $
EDIT2: that won't work with wheezy though 'cos it doesn't use systemd.
deadbang

bester69

Re: [SOLVED with chroot] Older App's with snap?

#15 Post by bester69 »

Any limitation/consideration with running an application within chroot?,

Ive seen some applicactions seems to get problems with dbus and some daemon..I dont know if can run anything..and the properly way to do it; Im mounting like this running kodi16.1 with success in stretch (adding /run/dbus and /dev/shm to typical chroot mount points.):

Running Jessie_kodi 16.1 in Stretch debian with chroot:
run kodi
###run.sh###

export APP=$1
ruta=/media/jessie
sudo cp /home/myuser/scripts/linux_app.sh $ruta/
#Mount folders
echo /run /sys /proc /dev/pts /dev/shm /dev | xargs -n1 |sudo xargs -I{} umount $ruta/{}
sleep 5
echo /dev /dev/shm /dev/pts /proc /sys /run | xargs -n1 |sudo xargs -I{} mount -o bind {} $ruta/{}
#Launch Script in chroot
sudo chroot $ruta /linux_app.sh $APP 
sleep 2
#Exit Umount
echo /run /sys /proc /dev/pts /dev/shm /dev | xargs -n1 |sudo xargs -I{} umount $ruta/{}
###linux_app.sh###

mount  -t btrfs -o subvol=home /dev/sda2 /home
mount  -t btrfs -o subvol=kodi /dev/sda8 /media/kodi
su myuser -c $1
sleep 5
su myuser -c "pkill -x $1"
sleep 2
su myuser -c "pkill -x $1 -9"
umount -a
su myuser -c "exit"