Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Ausus DVD-RW Will Not Play DVDs In Debian 9.2

Need help with peripherals or devices?
SHSmith

[SOLVED] Ausus DVD-RW Will Not Play DVDs In Debian 9.2

#1 Post by SHSmith »

Hi, all,
In the continuing saga of my new computer build, my girl friend sent me a brand new Asus DVD-RW SATA drive. I installed it, booted the comp, and put a DVD in it. The DVD mounts, the system sees it, and opens a player, and then... nothing. I should have the codecs installed to play them. I know the drive is working because I can put a data DVD in and it opens it right up. I'm running Debian 9.2 with all updates installed.

Thanks, Folks!

PS - If I put this post in the wrong place, forgive me. I'm still not used to using forums
Last edited by SHSmith on 2018-01-03 09:13, edited 1 time in total.

Capitain_Jack

Re: Ausus DVD-RW Will Not Play DVDs In Debian 9.2

#2 Post by Capitain_Jack »

Here, take a look:
https://wiki.debian.org/MultimediaCodecs#DVD_Playback

Please, if you consider your issue solved, edit the first message title, adding [SOLVED] to the beginning of it, so others can benefit from the solution.
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
Albert Einstein
"All wrong-doing arises because of mind. If mind is transformed can wrong-doing remain?"
Buddha

SHSmith

Re: Ausus DVD-RW Will Not Play DVDs In Debian 9.2

#3 Post by SHSmith »

Hi Capt Jack, thanks for responding! I had libdvdcss2 installed but I guess it wasn't working. I just re-installed it and it seems to have fixed it.

Thank you!