Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Stretch - Ough!

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Radvan

Stretch - Ough!

#1 Post by Radvan »

I have installed Stretch (KDE). And I have got a lot of problems. The most annoying ones:

apper: Apper can be run only from the KDE menu. When I create a link or a copy (of the desktop file) in my "util" folder and run apper from there, it will run but on closing I get "KDEInit - cannot run /usr/bin/apper" and a bang. Only when running from the KDE menu, apper will close quietly.
sound: Sound resets itself to 100% repeatedly. For example, the bang from apper is really a bang. Lowering the sound volume in the settings is futile, next time I get another bang.
desktop files: Plenty of nuisances, sorry. Sometimes, copying a desktop file results in making a link instead of a copy (libre office), sometimes the desktop files are plain text (yes, they are, but they should be run). Sometimes, renaming the desktop file (for example, removing the .desktop extent) loses icon and functionality.

On the other hand, firefox can play videos. Splendid! Copying big data from a DVD seems to copy what should be copied. Splendid! I like Stretch... well, except apper and sound control and... :mrgreen:

HW: Dell Inspiron 17R. 8 GB memory, 1 TB disc. Debian installation: netinst CD, no meddling with the installation.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

Re: Stretch - Ough!

#2 Post by None1975 »

Radvan wrote:sound: Sound resets itself to 100% repeatedly. For example, the bang from apper is really a bang. Lowering the sound volume in the settings is futile, next time I get another bang.
Hello. Just add a line to /etc/pulse/daemon.conf

Code: Select all

flat-volumes = no
. Also, Debian wiki is your friend.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#3 Post by steve_v »

Radvan wrote:Stretch - Ough!
Perhaps you mean "Plasma 5.8.6 - Ough!" :P
Plasma in Stretch has plenty of irritating bugs IME, so much so that I broke my rule and decided to run testing for a while.

Here's another one you're just going to love:

du -h ~/.xsession-errors 
12G     /home/steve/.xsession-errors
KDE, why you log STDOUT to disk? :roll:
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

bw123

#4 Post by bw123 »

Radvan wrote: desktop files: Plenty of nuisances, sorry. Sometimes, copying a desktop file results in making a link instead of a copy (libre office), sometimes the desktop files are plain text (yes, they are, but they should be run). Sometimes, renaming the desktop file (for example, removing the .desktop extent) loses icon and functionality.
I agree that the .desktop idea is nuisance-prone, but it is what it is. It's what we have. Nothing works as well as a nice simple wm and some shell scripts. Fluxbox with mc, feh, xpdf, nvlc or avplay (ffplay now?) is hard to beat.

When you copy a .desktop file in dolphin creates a link instead of a copy? Sounds buggy, about renaming and removing the extension, not sure but .desktop files should probably have a .desktop extension right?

I haven't noticed any problem on stretch from launching .desktop files from dolphin, except it throws up two or three dialogs in a row asking what to do. I do most file management with midnight commander anyway.

Sounds like your issues are minor so far, I had a LOT worse for awhile. Thanks for the review.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

bw123

#5 Post by bw123 »

steve_v wrote: Here's another one you're just going to love:

du -h ~/.xsession-errors 
12G     /home/steve/.xsession-errors
KDE, why you log STDOUT to disk? :roll:
Wow, that's impressive. I managed to get mine under control, I think installing lightdm has a way of rotating this. Also, there's a package called kdebugsettings that helped turn off a LOT OF CRAP going into the logs.

$ du -h .xsess*
412K    .xsession-errors
32K     .xsession-errors.old
$ uptime
 11:42:53 up 10 days,  3:49,  5 users,  load average: 0.69, 0.35, 0.34
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Radvan

#6 Post by Radvan »

Thanks for "flat-volumes = no". It works here. As for the worse issues:

I have installed Qt SDK and tried to build a simple project. The project did compile but the resulting file is a shared library instead of an executable. It refuses to run from the desktop, nevertheless, it can be run from within the Qt Creator and it can also run from a command promt (?!) Yes, the profile contains "TEMPLATE = app". Yes, the app wasn't compiled for a prompt. It is a simple windowed app. I tried QtCentre forum but it is silent so far. Therefore, I cannot compile anything right now. Ough!

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

I have some people wanting me to roll a KDE version of Stretch-based MX 17 like I did for the Jessie version, so I'll try and pick up some tips here. Not a big fan of Apper myself. Have you looked at plasma-discover?
MX Linux packager and developer

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#8 Post by steve_v »

stevepusser wrote:Not a big fan of Apper myself. Have you looked at plasma-discover?
*Cringe* You actually like that... thing?
Personally, I think Discover has the single worst UI I have ever encountered. It's slightly less ghastly in 5.10, but still, the only usable GUI package manager I know of is synaptic.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

bw123

#9 Post by bw123 »

steve_v wrote:
stevepusser wrote:Not a big fan of Apper myself. Have you looked at plasma-discover?
Personally, I think Discover has the single worst UI I have ever encountered. It's slightly less ghastly in 5.10, but still, the only usable GUI package manager I know of is synaptic.
I didn't like discover or apper, purged and gone, along with a lot of other stuff. I'm just such a big fan of ncurses I can't let it go. Even when using kde, I can't stop. Opening a pic in feh takes like 0.5 seconds, same for xpdf. With ocular or gwenview I'm waiting 3-5 sec for the app to open, it's just bloat and eye candy with no added functionality.

or maybe it's too much functionality? Too many features I don't use.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

stevepusser

#10 Post by stevepusser »

steve_v wrote:
I didn't say I liked it, I was just trying to think of package manager GUIs in the stock repos. A KDE MX respin would be using the bespoke MX package installer and MX updater, as well as Synaptic for full coverage.
MX Linux packager and developer

Radvan

#11 Post by Radvan »

Ough! Some apps got hint boxes "white on white" apparently. Placing a mouse on an icon, I get a white rectangle instead of a hint now. For example, gimp or isomaster. It is rather annoying, especially with apps, which use only many icons and rely on hintboxes with explanations (gimp, for example). How can I change hintbox background or font color in Debian 9? Ough.

bw123

#12 Post by bw123 »

Radvan wrote:Ough! Some apps got hint boxes "white on white" apparently. Placing a mouse on an icon, I get a white rectangle instead of a hint now. For example, gimp or isomaster. It is rather annoying, especially with apps, which use only many icons and rely on hintboxes with explanations (gimp, for example). How can I change hintbox background or font color in Debian 9? Ough.
It's all in the systems settings somewhere...

I use zion(reversed) color and oxygen on everything else I could find, gtk2 breeze gtk3 default. The only one I still haven't figured out is desktop settings dropdown boxes, they are still white on white.

These issues are not stretch or debian issues, it's kde/qt and the kde forums are about worthless. Trying to find anything on there or the net in general brings up 5 yr old posts that don't apply.

p.s. if you can figure out for me how to make red look red instead of pink you get a bonus.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#13 Post by sunrat »

Install and use qt4-qtconfig
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!