Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

"High" idle CPU usage since upgrade to Stretch

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
nine99

"High" idle CPU usage since upgrade to Stretch

#1 Post by nine99 »

Hello guys,

I have a simple Proxmox host, that runs several virtual machines with Debian and since the upgrade from Jessie to Stretch, I am experiencing a weird issue:
The total CPU load on the host was quite low around 1% while idle, nowadays it is at 6%. It isn't a critical "oh my god I need more power", more like a "What happened?" kind of issue.

I still have one Jessie VM that still has a low idle CPU load (0.2%), all other debian machines are running on stretch and show an idle CPU load of 1.5-2%, looking like this:

Again... I am complaining on a high level here, but what could be the issue? I don't run any more services or alike than before upgrading to stretch.

Thank you for your help, and sorry for my english. It's not my mother tongue :) .

makh

Re: "High" idle CPU usage since upgrade to Stretch

#2 Post by makh »

Hi

You can probably use top/conky to see which processes are running and consuming the cpu, first of all.
ThinkPad E14: Arch, Debian Stable
GUI: Xfce

For new: Try MX Linux, Linux Mint; later join Debian Stable

steve2507

#3 Post by steve2507 »

Just wanted to confirm here that I have the exact same 'problem'. Proxmox is reporting a (relatively speaking) much higher idle cpu between stretch and jessie.
I even setup a test with two fresh installs of stretch and jessie side-by-side, showing the exact same idle cpu result from the moment they are up and running.

These tests were conducted 2 months ago. I can recall that I couldn't find very interesting facts from reading top. If I have some time I'll see if I can replay and post some of the results.

lojzik

#4 Post by lojzik »

I have this problem with Jessie on host and Stretch on guest. Idle in guest => 0,2% (Jessie), 5% (Stretch) in host . it does not matter if guest is fresh install or upgrade from Jessie.

czeekaj

#5 Post by czeekaj »

I ran top on a clean install, of debian stretch. I am idle no more that 1% on an ivybridge.
Xorg, and topitself are no more than 0.3% each. It says 99.9% idle Cpu%. I come from windows, this over head is insane.
On my laptop, I running a different Distro which isn't a fresh install. It only has 4gb of ram, and an older cpu. Not exactly debian anymore but it's pretty much Jessie. I have over 40 tabs open and I have 90% idle cpu and 80% of my ram is free. Windows I couldn't run 20 tabs without risking hanging. Oh and running Open VPN. If I let it sit even with browser open the CPU use will pretty much go down to where I don't even see any activity on the UI. Laptop preforms better than before.
Funny linux problems :)
Although at idle on Stretch I am getting about 2% or higher as well. Which imo is pretty high and I can't see, to see what is using it. Top doesn't notify me of anything but thunar at 7% and the XFCE taskmanager says 0% down the whole side.
So I not sure, there is some cpu unaccounted for in top I see 1.1 us 0.6 sys and 98.2 id. Not sure. I n00b at this seems most is accounted for in top,