Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[solved] What is suspending my system when idle?

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
gi1242

[solved] What is suspending my system when idle?

#1 Post by gi1242 »

Hi All,

I recently found that if I leave my laptop idle on battery, then it suspends to ram after about 3 minutes. It does not suspend when plugged in. I would like to change the timeout, but I can't for the life of me figure out what is doing this suspend.

I already looked in /etc/systemd/logind.conf, and see the following:

Code: Select all

[Login]
#IdleAction=ignore
#IdleActionSec=30min
I run a vanilla fvwm, so I don't have KDE/Gnome or their power management things on my system. (As far as I can tell the packages aren't even installed.)

I grepped the /etc/systemd directory for idle / suspend, and found that nothing else is setting it. I also looked in /etc/acpi. No luck.

Does anyone know anything else I can try? Could it be in the BIOS?

Thanks in advance,

GI

Edit: It was sleepd which I setup myself and forgot about...
Last edited by gi1242 on 2018-01-11 04:39, edited 1 time in total.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: What is suspending my system when idle?

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Can we see

systemd-inhibit
deadbang

gi1242

#3 Post by gi1242 »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Can we see

systemd-inhibit
When plugged in, or on battery **systemd-inhibit** shows the following:

root>systemd-inhibit
     Who: ModemManager (UID 0/root, PID 496/ModemManager)
    What: sleep
     Why: ModemManager needs to reset devices
    Mode: delay

1 inhibitors listed.

bw123

#4 Post by bw123 »

if it's systemd doing it, there might be something in journalctl, look for something like this:

systemd-logind[967]: Lid closed.

what debian ver, what machine?

if you have upower installed it says some lidstates aren't reliable
/etc/UPower/UPower.conf
resigned by AI ChatGPT

gi1242

#5 Post by gi1242 »

bw123 wrote:if it's systemd doing it, there might be something in journalctl, look for something like this:

systemd-logind[967]: Lid closed.
Thanks. I looked through my logs. I didn't find this. I found a couple of systemd-sleep: suspending system messages though. It didn't correlate to the times my computer slept when idle on battery though...
bw123 wrote:what debian ver, what machine?
Debian 9 (stretch), on a Lenovo X1 Yoga.
bw123 wrote:if you have upower installed it says some lidstates aren't reliable
/etc/UPower/UPower.conf
I have UPower installed (and also pm-utils). I havent messed with the UPower defaults. It looks like all UPower can do is hibernate my ssytem when the battery is critically low, and doesn't poll for idle...

bw123

#6 Post by bw123 »

Are you sure the system is actually suspended and not just screen blanked? laptop-mode-tools for instance will blank the screen pretty quickly on battery, I don't know about pm-utils I find it really not needed anymore because systemd does a great job with suspend by itself for me.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

gi1242

#7 Post by gi1242 »

Yes, I'm sure the system is suspended. (Network offline. Doesn't wake up on mouse movement. Flashing power light. Plus after pressing the power button, the screen is still blank once the system wakes up. I have to move the mouse / press a key to wake up the screen)

Also, I just edited /etc/systemd/logind.conf and set IdleActionSec=120s. In this case systemd happily suspends my machine every two minutes, whether I'm moving the mouse or not. (So I undid this of course, and cursed systemd.)

Bottom line, I'm still stumped. Some good soul is suspending my system every 3 minutes when idle, and I'm on battery. This is great. I like this. It's the right thing to do. I just want 5 minutes instead of 3... pretty please... :)

GI

bw123

#8 Post by bw123 »

That sounds more like hibernated to me, except the flashing light, I dunno...

Have you looked through your installed packages for everything with power, sleep, suspend, pm, and other similar words in it? There is a sleepd package that can suspend an idle batt, or apm-sleep I think it might be called. It's really hard to guess a problem like this, so I guess the answer is, "Whatever you installed or set up to do that?"

Why do you have upower anyway, did something else drag it in?

# aptitude why upower
i   kde-standard       Depends kde-plasma-desktop (>= 5:92)
i A kde-plasma-desktop Depends upower
resigned by AI ChatGPT

gi1242

#9 Post by gi1242 »

Yay! Thanks. It was sleepd!

I guess I installed it 3 years ago. I found a comment in /etc/default/sleepd with my name. I was grepping installed packages for suspend and power. But I never thought of grepping for sleep. That did it. Thanks again :)