Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Can install Mint Linux, but not DEBIAN?

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
elton-w

Can install Mint Linux, but not DEBIAN?

#1 Post by elton-w »

Caveat: long post

Two machines were upgraded from Windows 8.1, and the third came with Windows 10 pre-installed. All three are now running Win 10, with one dual booting Mint Linux 18.3.
I do the “usual routine: download the “Live” CD image and burn to a 16 Gb USB stick, using gnome-disks

In Windows, I go: Recovery, Advanced Startup, and then I boot the Mint disk, NO modification is dome in the BIOS settings. I can run as “live” or proceed to install.

Not so with Debian 9.3. NO WAY, no how. I’ve even tried burning the Debian imges using Rufus in WindoThe s Specs for the three machineing Listed in order of oldest to newest

1. Lenovo G50 [discontinued]
https://www3.lenovo.com/in/en/laptops/l ... 8LG80G0375

2. Asus Transfrmer T300 CHI https://www.phonearena.com/phones/Asus- ... Chi_id9051

3. HP Spectra x360
https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c05518080[/url]

Some photos demonstrating when I try to install Debian 9.3 and when I [try to] install Mint Linux 18.3.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/IdYbVBVQNGsVthki1

I would like to install Debian on my machiine(s) but I’m no “expert” and I’m ready to give up.

Respectfully
Registered Linux User #193975-85134

stevepusser

Re: Can install Mint Linux, but not DEBIAN?

#2 Post by stevepusser »

At one time, the Live versions of Debian were not compatible with UEFI installs. I don't know if this is still the case, though...paging Dr. Head on a Stick!

Regardless, trying the standard install ISO is the obvious next thing to try if Live has problems. You also need to be aware of possible missing firmware problems.
MX Linux packager and developer

bw123

#3 Post by bw123 »

elton-w wrote:Caveat: long post
<snip>]
I would like to install Debian on my machiine(s) but I’m no “expert” and I’m ready to give up.

Respectfully
I think that is a shame if you do give up, but I understand. I gave up on linux two or three times before I realized there is a right way to do things, and many wrong ways.

It's not such a long post, but a lot of irrelevant stuff. I would try to help if I can, but from what I have seen many of the hardcore "real" debian users on here have tried to help you several times, but you chose to go with the non-debian solutions in many cases.

Maybe Windows or Mint are your best options right now? BUT in the meantime if you do want to get debian installed, forget about everything but debian installation guide. It's easy to find on the net.

Good Luck!
resigned by AI ChatGPT

HuangLao

#4 Post by HuangLao »

sounds like firmware to me (possibly):
https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unof ... -firmware/

elton-w

#5 Post by elton-w »

I listed my machines as I would like to have Debian. This was not just one or two feeble tries. Linux is my preferred OS, not Windows. After using various distros for years, I deciding on Mint as the the most "user-friendly" for my purposes. However. I am willing to try Debian. But when it comes to spending two weeks of frustration, and not even getting the installer to boot, I give up. So berate me if you wish.

Computers were supposed to make life easier for people. When the joy of learning is counterbalanced by this level of frustration. then "you're a better man than I, Gunga Din".
I'm not Linus Torvals anyway.. :|

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

stevepusser wrote:At one time, the Live versions of Debian were not compatible with UEFI installs. I don't know if this is still the case, though...paging Dr. Head on a Stick!
:D

Well, our BunsenLabs live ISO images work just fine with UEFI and they are based on the stretch version (I think).

The output of

Code: Select all

# parted --list
should show the "fake" EFI system partition on the USB stick.

@OP: have you tried disabling Secure Boot?
deadbang

elton-w

#7 Post by elton-w »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
stevepusser wrote:At one time, the Live versions of Debian were not compatible with UEFI installs. I don't know if this is still the case, though...paging Dr. Head on a Stick!
:D

Well, our BunsenLabs live ISO images work just fine with UEFI and they are based on the stretch version (I think).

The output of

Code: Select all

# parted --list
should show the "fake" EFI system partition on the USB stick.

@OP: have you tried disabling Secure Boot?
I think you hit the nail on the head.:-(

Apparently you have to muck around in BIOS settings for the Debian installer to recognise the media. By comparison, I was able to boot two different distros _without_ any need of going into the bios settigs:
1. ubuntu-16.04.3-desktop-amd64.iso and
2. linuxmint-18.3-mate-64bit.iso
(I AM aware that they are "derivatives" and not "pure" debian)

OTOH, two debiab images
1. debian-9.3.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso and
2. debian-9.3.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso
I get the same complaint "EFI USB (USB DISK 2.0) has been blocked by seciroty policy"

So I guess I'll have to skip Debian (with Windows 10) for now. <SHRUG>

czeekaj

#8 Post by czeekaj »

I have Debian on a seperate hard drive. Mint boots okay beside windows. But funny thing is Debians grub sees windows on the first drive but not mint. Same with mint, won't see debian. I think I will try debian on the larger portion of my 1st drive squeezing windows into less than a quarter of the drive. I think debian will be my desktop distro.
I have uefi bios. I just turned on legacy boot, it was in secure boot settings or something like that.
Debian can boot Uefi but it might fry your windows boot loader. Maybe not but the installer warns of using Uefi install. Legacy is a little better, and maybe non-graphical install works just fine. I prefer debian, little more work to get everything set up but more stable I think. Ubuntu based I think is a little more trouble long term. I had serious VPN troubles with cinnamon and the networkManager. It kept droping and I had to manually reconnect. While my debian based Devuan has had no down time and I'm more free to browse, while mint I can't use vpn at all for more than 2 minutes before it goes down and I have not internet.

Head_on_a_Stick

#9 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

elton-w wrote:I get the same complaint "EFI USB (USB DISK 2.0) has been blocked by seciroty policy"
Bad luck, you have a defective UEFI implementation — are you sure you can't disable Secure Boot in your firmware ("BIOS") settings?

Alternatively, booting with CSM or "Legacy" mode engaged may allow you to install that way.

If not, you could try booting a live Mint session then use that to install a Debian system to the disk by following this guide:

https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch ... 03.html.en

Then use the Linux Foundation's PreLoader & HashTool to circumvent Secure Boot:

https://blog.hansenpartnership.com/linu ... -released/

https://askubuntu.com/questions/594747/ ... -preloader

Post back if you need assistance with this ;)
deadbang