Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installation on i6200U NUC

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
swmcl

Installation on i6200U NUC

#1 Post by swmcl »

Hi,

I have a new i5 NUC onto which I cannot get any version of Linux to load. Most recently I am trying to load from the Debian 9.3.0 net installer in graphical expert mode. I have just downloaded this yesterday 3rd Jan 2018.

I have had other versions of Linux running from the live cd. (Ubuntu and Linux Mint)

During the net-install, I get to the point of loading the base system and the kernel in particular and it is at this point I get a pop-up across the screen saying, "An error was returned while trying to install the kernel into the target system ... kernel package linux_image_4.9.0-4-amd64 ... check syslog or see console 4 for details ..."

The system hangs at this point and I need to pull the power out.

I have formatted the M.2 SSD externally to ext4 and put some files on it to check if I could see those files from a live CD. I've tried to do some stress testing on a live scenario with stress-ng also which went fine. I can use the NUC from a live CD very well I think. I've got access to the HDD and to the wifi and the graphics are fine also. Everything seems to be running when I use a live CD. When I try to install the system to HDD it fails.

I can provide results of a hardware scan if necessary. I ran an lshw command from the live session and saved it to USB.

My problem is that I don't know what else to do. The Debian expert mode is the best for installing step-by-step. On other distributions it just fails to say the "installer crashed". I only found out about the kernel not installing from the Debian install.

Help is needed if you can,

Cheers,
Steve

bw123

Re: Installation on i6200U NUC

#2 Post by bw123 »

swmcl wrote:Hi,

<snip>
check syslog or see console 4 for details ..."
<snip>
I can provide results of a hardware scan if necessary. I ran an lshw command from the live session and saved it to USB.
Hello, What was on console 4? yes please include the hardware details, including partition layout.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

ticojohn

#3 Post by ticojohn »

That is a Skylake processor, correct? Don't know it it is relevant, or helpful, but there is a known issue with hyperthreading on Skylake. Don't know if that is causing the hangup, but if it is you could try turning off hyperthreading in the bios. And if my recommendation is off base would somebody just slap me silly? :lol:
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

swmcl

#4 Post by swmcl »

I have to admit, I didn't know how what 'console 4' meant nor did I know how to access any syslog.

Once the pop-up appears the system freezes. My only method so far to recover it is to power-cycle the machine.

I'll have another look at the BIOS. I think I did want vitualisation but I'll look now for hyperthreading. Certainly, it goes about its thing in a certain manner but then just halts. It is a sudden stop.

Cheers,
Steve

swmcl

#5 Post by swmcl »

OK.

I set the hyperthreading to disabled. It has not had any impact on the process. It still fails.

I tried a new Linux Mint 18.3 install just because it runs from a live-cd. When it fails, I tried to open /var/log/syslog and it just sits there doing nothing. It does say it is opening syslog but nothing actually happens. Yes I tried opening it with nemo as sudo too.

So I am still at a loss. I shall leave the hyperthreading off for the near future.

Clues on how to access syslog or console 4 within the Debian installer in this scenario would be accepted gladly ...

Cheers,
Steve

bw123

#6 Post by bw123 »

Repeat the install, but right before it gets to the part where it hangs, hit ctrl-alt-f4 and and maybe you can see the error.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

swmcl

#7 Post by swmcl »

Thanks bw123,

This is on the Debian expert install yes ?

Certainly on the Linux Mint live-cd I'm just pressing 'install' and it is doing a number of things that take some time before it actually fails.

Cheers,
Steve

bw123

#8 Post by bw123 »

swmcl wrote: This is on the Debian expert install yes ?
I haven't used it in awhile, but the way I remember it used to work, the gui or txt interface is just afront, everything is really happening on another vt, play with the ctrl-alt-f keys and see for yourself. Expert install or maybe what they call rescue now may be quicker, just skip ahead if you can to the install step or whatever it was that failed.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

swmcl

#9 Post by swmcl »

Cheers.

I've got some family duties so please expect delays in any further comms. Perhaps a day or two.

Thanks again,

Steve

swmcl

#10 Post by swmcl »

Back again for a time ...

I have tried a graphical install and then when things were set in motion (I'd answered various setup questions) I flipped the screen to CTRL-ALT-F4 I think it was.

I saw a lot of stuff flying by on the screen but then it halted with a number of failed to fetch / checksum errors.

I can't figure out how to scroll up on the screen info. I've a feeling it can't be done. The font is very large so only a relatively few lines are seen. The monitor is a new full HD LCD type so there would be no issue seeing a heap more information if I could get the font to be smaller.

I have verified the ISO checksum previously and marked the disk accordingly. I am reasonably confident that I should have a good disk.

This is happening for me on various distributions. Could it be a hardware issue as I'm using a USB-powered DVD player ?

From what I see on screen this is a summary:

Get1: ... linux-image-4.9.0-4-amd64 amd64 4.9.65-3

Hash sum mismatch

Get2: ... linux-image-amd64 amd64 4.9+80+deb9u2

Failed to fetch ... linux-image-4.9.0-4-amd64_4.9.65-3_amd64.deb

Is the installer trying to load the wrong file ??

RU55EL

#11 Post by RU55EL »

The first thing you should do, if you haven't already, is download the latest Intel bios firmware version and install it. If you haven't, check Intel's website, look for support, then drivers and software. Choose your exact model and look for the latest bios download. If it is more current than what your NUC is using you need to update the bios.

I had countless problems with my older NUC until I downloaded and installed a newer bios. Then things worked much better. I check about every three months and install the latest bios when it comes out.

Also, if your NUC is one of the very new models, you may have trouble with Debian not having current drivers for the hardware. If so, you can count on the drivers being available later. At least, that is what happened to me. I ended up running Mint for several months until a newer version of Debian came out. I love my NUC computers!

swmcl

#12 Post by swmcl »

Thanks Russell,

My 'NUC' is not an Intel product so I don't know how to upgrade BIOS. It is a Chinese product - using an Intel 6200U device.

I will have a go tho' !!

I can report that after entering all the particulars of location and keyboard type etc. and just as the 'loading base system' comes up, I switch to the console view and see a bunch of 'file does not exist' before the messages to the screen start to roll by.

It fails at exactly the same spot.

Rgds to all.

stevepusser

#13 Post by stevepusser »

How about trying to install from a USB pendrive?

Have you tried switching any Secure Boot and UEFI/Legacy options in the UEFI setup?

Is this one of the odd ones with a 32-bit UEFI implementation?

Does MX Linux 17 have the same problems? In the worst case, you can easily create and run from a persistent USB with MX...

Anything turn up when you Google the exact model name and "linux"?
MX Linux packager and developer

swmcl

#14 Post by swmcl »

Hello again,

I don't remember changing much in the BIOS. It does run a live version of Mint 18.3.

My recent attempts at a pendrive didn't work out. I couldn't get it to boot IIRC.

Not sure the BIOS can actually be upgraded - there isn't an obvious option for this. I have sent an email to the manufacturer.

I don't recall the UEFI settings. Does it matter if the installer is trying to install the wrong files ??

dotlj

#15 Post by dotlj »

Please start by checking the BIOS / UEFI settings.
Turn off Fast Boot. Some say use UEFI, I prefer to use BIOS with MBR, it's easier and it has been working, although in future years will be obsolete.
6th generation Intel processors require a recent kernel for support, so you should enable backports during the installation.
I'm using kernel 4.14.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.14.7-1~bpo9+1
Depending on your GPU you may or maynot need to modify the kernel boot line by adding something such as nomodeset. You can make that permanent by editing /etc/default/grub.

In BIOS / UEFI is the disk showing as /dev/nvme0n1 or /dev/sda ? Do you have more than one disk in the NUC?
That doesn't make much difference, except when you get to format the disk and partition it, or them.
The Debian 9.3 net install works, and you can choose in task manager exactly what you want.

swmcl

#16 Post by swmcl »

@ dotij - OK will do.

I am old-school so having the BIOS set to older ways is good for me.

Yes, two hard drives, one is an M.2 SSD and eventually the second will be a 2.5" SATA. Both have been seen (when both are connected) as sda or sdb etc.

The only mention of UEFI in the BIOS was something to do with 'other PCI devices' which I have set to 'legacy'. BIOS is American Megatrends 2.18.1263.

I have not ever known how to install using backports.

Now going to try the 'graphical expert install' mode...

swmcl

#17 Post by swmcl »

Nope.

Installation fails at the kernel loading stage. It doesn't have any issues up to that point. I can set keyboards, time, wifi - even when I need a specific driver that is loaded on a USB key. It also partitions the disk (I simply go with the all-in-one guided solution with one partition of "/" and a suggested 8.5Gb of swap).

There is nothing stopping it from retrieving a kernel from the web but I don't see it doing so.

I selected the default options at nearly every turn.

Thanks again,

stevepusser

#18 Post by stevepusser »

I believe the sixth generation is Skylake, like mine, and will run just fine on the stock kernel. You need some firmware from the non-free firmware-linux-nonfree package for sound and video performance, though. All intel chipsets from Skylake on up need that. Try the Debian iso that includes non-free firmware like Mint has already on there...or MX, which might also work.

How is the NUC trying to access the web during install? With a wired or wireless connection? Be aware that almost all wi-fi needs non-free firmware, otherwise you have no connection.

Mint includes the inxi utility...give us the results of the

Code: Select all

inxi -F
command so we have a clue of what hardware is in the darn thing.
MX Linux packager and developer

swmcl

#19 Post by swmcl »

Just for kicks because I do have another NUC-type device for my firewall I thought I'd try to install pfSense 2.3.4.

My other NUC is an i5 7200U a Skylake - so it is newer.

pfSense has installed on the i5 6200U without issue.

I believe I can now say that the problem is not with BIOS.

swmcl

#20 Post by swmcl »

Steve,

The installer asks for a iwlwifi-7260-17.ucode which I have on a USB key at root level and I plug that key into the machine at the back. The installer goes ahead and finds the file without issue and then I put in the passkey to access my home wifi WAP that has full security. I believe I have proper connectivity to wifi.

I haven't tried any other version of Debian nor have I downloaded it because of the data limit at my ISP. I guess that downloading a full DVD iso from Debian is the next option...

I am pleased to see that pfSense booted from the single M.2 hard drive.

Thanks for the help.