Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installation on i6200U NUC

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
swmcl

Re: Installation on i6200U NUC

#21 Post by swmcl »

Hummmpf !!

i5 6200U is actually a Skylake ...

Well there you have it.

Its just that I wish it were the i5 7200U like my other machine because pfSense has been working on that without issue for a few months.

Hopefully I can get the 6200U working soon.

swmcl

#22 Post by swmcl »

OK.

Debian Live 9.3.0 amd64 cinnamon + non-free iso was downloaded and burnt with verification to DVD at the slowest speed possible.

It ran fine. I logged onto my wifi and surfed the Internet. Then I shutdown because I think Debian won't install from the live cd session.

I then rebooted and selected the graphical install option.

It proceeded to install but failed at the 'install base system' part. The errors are different though.

kernel: 310.185270 SQUASHFS error: Unable to read page, block 3eac3b8, size 429c
Unable to read data cache entry [3eac3b8]
tar process copying live system failed
process: 8815 tar: read error
process: 8815 tar: short read
failed error code 1

Next ??

dotlj

#23 Post by dotlj »

I get the impression that you are only using wifi and not using cable connection.
You have done well to install the wifi driver and connect.
Strange that it is having trouble installing the base system. It could be a corrupt install image. Did you check the SHA256SUM?

Try checking the downloaded image before installing it. If the SHA256SUM is good, then try the installer again.

swmcl

#24 Post by swmcl »

Image checksum is OK from the command line (sha256sum) but not from Gtkhash - I'll assume Gtkhash is not working; no surprise there.

My first install attempt from the live disk was for a targetted install. I wanted the install to be as lean as possible. This reads files one-at-a-time from the DVD as opposed to a whole bunch of files in sequence perhaps when doing the all-in approach.

I'm thinking that the installer is trying to read at a speed that is too high from the DVD and doesn't allow enough latency in file access.

My setup uses a new USB-powered DVD so it doesn't have the grunt of a separately-powered DVD player.

Is there a way to slow down the reading and increase waiting times for files being read from the DVD during installation ? Can one rip the entire DVD into memory (RAM), do a checksum on the contents in RAM and then complete the installation ?

swmcl

#25 Post by swmcl »

I think I'll try a all-in install where it is bloated. The next step is to try a USB pendrive install although I haven't been successful in making one of those for a while. So much advice on the Internet is wrong.

Anyone got any better ideas ??

swmcl

#26 Post by swmcl »

I have tried to see where I could install a targetted system and I can't so I tried another bloated one instead. No luck.

I then made a USB key using unetbootin and tried to install using this medium.

The results were the same as before but a different block number - 51b0034.

So it fails the base install from USB-DVD and USB3-pendrive.

Goody.

swmcl

#27 Post by swmcl »

Progress!

I have created a net install USB pendrive and run it.

It got past the part where it usually fails and now says, "No installable kernel was found in the defined APT sources".

It then gives me the option to continue without installing a kernel. I answered 'Yes' and it continued for a while.

The failure is now further on ... I forget what.

Now that unetbootin is working it proves my downloads are correct I think.

I've tried a number of other 'solutions' including the live 'testing' iso. This is even worse than the stable one ! It couldn't pick up the ethernet nor the wifi !!

Seriously bent is Debian. I'm exhausted.

bw123

#28 Post by bw123 »

swmcl wrote:Progress!

Seriously bent is Debian. I'm exhausted.

Funny!

stevepusser wrote:...so we have a clue of what hardware is in the darn thing.
swmcl wrote:Now that unetbootin is working it proves my downloads are correct I think.
Even funnier!

At least two people have asked for hardware details, and you have plainly ignored the requests, so I'm thinking this is some kind of joke, right?
swmcl wrote:Yes, two hard drives, one is an M.2 SSD and eventually the second will be a 2.5" SATA. Both have been seen (when both are connected) as sda or sdb etc.
This quote of yours at the top of the page was complete nonsense. Two hard drives, the second will "eventually be" something? And both have been seen, as sda or sdb, etc... when both are connected? Are you serious?

This thread is a punk, a pretty good one I guess.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

stevepusser

#29 Post by stevepusser »

Lotsa people have problems with unetbootin. Try Rufus on Windows or Etcher on any OS or distro.
MX Linux packager and developer

swmcl

#30 Post by swmcl »

Hardware is the IBOX-601 from Iwill Technology in China.

Search for "Ibox 601" on Alibaba.

I can't upload a pdf of their datasheet on this forum.

swmcl

#31 Post by swmcl »

stevepusser,

Unetbootin is not failing for me. Unetbootin is working.

I used unetbootin to install pfSense. Other unetbootin images are booting and I can step through the install process but because of installer issues I can't effect a complete install.

GarryRicketson

#32 Post by GarryRicketson »

Search for "Ibox 601" on Alibaba.
You are joking with us , aren't you ?

You can write down the specs, copy/paste them, into a file, then copy /paste, or type in the text.
the text , please use "code boxes". Example:

Code: Select all

Chipset
Intel Q45 Express Chipset w/ICH10DO
Non-volatile memory on chipset
BIOS Configuration SPI (Serial Peripheral Interface) 64Mbit (8MB) located at SPI_FLASH on chipset
---snip---
No need to upload promotions from Alibaba, nor do searches for alibaba sales sites.

Or simply do what steve suggested and asked:
by stevepusser » Mint includes the inxi utility...give us the results of the

inxi -F
command so we have a clue of what hardware is in the darn thing.
Copy the out put text, from the above command, and simply paste it into code boxes,....

swmcl

#33 Post by swmcl »

Apologies for listing here and not as a file. I am getting, " Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached."

The hardware is:

user@debian:~$ inxi -f

CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5-6200U (-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB 
           clock speeds: max: 2800 MHz 1: 499 MHz 2: 499 MHz
           CPU Flags: 3dnowprefetch abm acpi adx aes aperfmperf apic arat arch_perfmon art avx avx2 bmi1 bmi2 bts
           clflush clflushopt cmov constant_tsc cx16 cx8 de ds_cpl dtes64 dtherm dts eagerfpu epb ept erms est
           f16c flexpriority fma fpu fsgsbase fxsr ht hwp hwp_act_window hwp_epp hwp_notify ida intel_pt invpcid
           lahf_lm lm mca mce mmx monitor movbe mpx msr mtrr nonstop_tsc nopl nx pae pat pbe pcid pclmulqdq pdcm
           pdpe1gb pebs pge pln pni popcnt pse pse36 pts rdrand rdseed rdtscp rep_good sdbg sep smap smep ss sse
           sse2 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 syscall tm tm2 tpr_shadow tsc tsc_adjust tsc_deadline_timer vme vmx vnmi vpid
           x2apic xgetbv1 xsave xsavec xsaveopt xsaves xtopology xtpr

--------------------------------------------------

user@debian:~$ lspci -vv

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Skylake Host Bridge/DRAM Registers (rev 08)
	Subsystem: Intel Corporation Skylake Host Bridge/DRAM Registers
	Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
	Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort+ >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
	Latency: 0
	Capabilities: <access denied>
	Kernel driver in use: skl_uncore

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 520 (rev 07) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
	Subsystem: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 520
	Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
	Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
	Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 125
	Region 0: Memory at de000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
	Region 2: Memory at c0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
	Region 4: I/O ports at f000 [size=64]
	[virtual] Expansion ROM at 000c0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
	Kernel driver in use: i915
	Kernel modules: i915

00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP USB 3.0 xHCI Controller (rev 21) (prog-if 30 [XHCI])
	Subsystem: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP USB 3.0 xHCI Controller
	Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
	Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
	Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 126
	Region 0: Memory at df310000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
	Kernel driver in use: xhci_hcd
	Kernel modules: xhci_pci

00:14.2 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP Thermal subsystem (rev 21)
	Subsystem: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP Thermal subsystem
	Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
	Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
	Interrupt: pin C routed to IRQ 18
	Region 0: Memory at df32e000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
	Kernel driver in use: intel_pch_thermal
	Kernel modules: intel_pch_thermal

00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP CSME HECI #1 (rev 21)
	Subsystem: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP CSME HECI
	Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
	Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 138
	Region 0: Memory at df32d000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
	Kernel driver in use: mei_me
	Kernel modules: mei_me

00:17.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 21) (prog-if 01 [AHCI 1.0])
	Subsystem: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP SATA Controller [AHCI mode]
	Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
	Status: Cap+ 66MHz+ UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
	Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 127
	Region 0: Memory at df328000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]
	Region 1: Memory at df32c000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
	Region 2: I/O ports at f090 [size=8]
	Region 3: I/O ports at f080 [size=4]
	Region 4: I/O ports at f060 [size=32]
	Region 5: Memory at df32b000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2K]
	Kernel driver in use: ahci
	Kernel modules: ahci

00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device 9d12 (rev f1) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
	Interrupt: pin C routed to IRQ 122
	Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=01, sec-latency=0
	Memory behind bridge: df200000-df2fffff
	Secondary status: 66MHz- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort+ <SERR- <PERR-
	BridgeCtl: Parity- SERR- NoISA- VGA- MAbort- >Reset- FastB2B-
		PriDiscTmr- SecDiscTmr- DiscTmrStat- DiscTmrSERREn-
	Kernel driver in use: pcieport
	Kernel modules: shpchp

00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device 9d13 (rev f1) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
	Interrupt: pin D routed to IRQ 123
	Bus: primary=00, secondary=02, subordinate=02, sec-latency=0
	I/O behind bridge: 0000e000-0000efff
	Memory behind bridge: df100000-df1fffff
	Secondary status: 66MHz- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort+ <SERR- <PERR-

00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP PCI Express Root Port #5 (rev f1) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
	Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 124
	Bus: primary=00, secondary=03, subordinate=03, sec-latency=0
	I/O behind bridge: 0000d000-0000dfff
	Memory behind bridge: df000000-df0fffff

00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP LPC Controller (rev 21)
	Subsystem: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP LPC Controller
	Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
	Status: Cap- 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-

00:1f.2 Memory controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP PMC (rev 21)
	Subsystem: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP PMC
	Status: Cap- 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
	Region 0: Memory at df324000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]

00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio (rev 21)
	Subsystem: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio
	Latency: 32
	Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 139
	Region 0: Memory at df320000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
	Region 4: Memory at df300000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
	Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
	Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel, snd_soc_skl

00:1f.4 SMBus: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP SMBus (rev 21)
	Subsystem: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP SMBus
	Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
	Status: Cap- 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
	Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 16
	Region 0: Memory at df32a000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
	Region 4: I/O ports at f040 [size=32]
	Kernel driver in use: i801_smbus
	Kernel modules: i2c_i801

01:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 7260 (rev 73)
	Subsystem: Intel Corporation Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260
	Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 140
	Region 0: Memory at df200000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]
	Kernel driver in use: iwlwifi
	Kernel modules: iwlwifi

02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I211 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 03)
	Subsystem: Intel Corporation I211 Gigabit Network Connection
	Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 19
	Region 0: Memory at df100000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]
	Region 2: I/O ports at e000 [size=32]
	Region 3: Memory at df120000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
	Kernel driver in use: igb
	Kernel modules: igb

03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I211 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 03)
	Subsystem: Intel Corporation I211 Gigabit Network Connection
	Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 16
	Region 0: Memory at df000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]
	Region 2: I/O ports at d000 [size=32]
	Region 3: Memory at df020000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
	Kernel driver in use: igb
	Kernel modules: igb

-----------------

Thanks.

Head_on_a_Stick

#34 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

swmcl wrote:Unetbootin is not failing for me. Unetbootin is working.
I can assure you that unetbootin does not work with Debian ISO images.

Read the bug report:

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=775689
deadbang

swmcl

#35 Post by swmcl »

OK. unetbootin and Debian are incompatible.

So I've made a USB stick with dd instead.

It still fails during the install process after copying a number of files. The drive to which the installation was directed has a large number of files and directories on it.

The installation fails with a pop-up saying "We're sorry ... installation has failed" and the system is jammed. The only thing I seem to be able to do is remove power.

I think my hardware is a little obtuse or new for now. That is why I tried the testing version and when it recognized even less hardware than the stable installer I got the sh!ts.

Is there a way to install and push the output messages to a file or series of files on a USB key ?

Is there a program I can run from a live Linux OS that makes a compilation of the hardware on my machine so I can then push that file to an online provider who will compile a custom minimalist ISO for my hardware ?

Are there files in the Debian install process that have filenames longer than the Joliet standard of 64 chars ?

Thorny

#36 Post by Thorny »

swmcl wrote:...The installation fails with a pop-up saying "We're sorry ... installation has failed" and the system is jammed. The only thing I seem to be able to do is remove power.
It has been a long time since I have had to use the installer but if I remember correctly, it outputs messages on virtual console 4, so perhaps you could switch to that while the GUI installer is still running and see if the last output gives you any clues.

stevepusser

#37 Post by stevepusser »

I wrote "inxi -F", not "inxi -f". The outputs are quite different.

I forsee great difficulties ahead for you using Debian if you fail with a simple task like that. :(

Not to mention your unetbootin problem. If it works with one distro does not mean you assume it works for every distro. That's a simple failure of basic logic.
MX Linux packager and developer

swmcl

#38 Post by swmcl »

Output of inxi -F is as follows:

user@debian:~$ inxi -F

System:    Host: debian Kernel: 4.9.0-4-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.2.7  Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)
Machine:   Device: desktop System: Default string product: Default string v: Default string
           Mobo: INTEL model: SKYBAY v: Default string
           UEFI: American Megatrends v: 5.11 date: 07/04/2017
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5-6200U (-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB 
           clock speeds: max: 2800 MHz 1: 499 MHz 2: 499 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel HD Graphics 520
           Display Server: X.Org 1.19.2 drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 520 (Skylake GT2)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 13.0.6
Audio:     Card Intel Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.9.0-4-amd64
Network:   Card-1: Intel Wireless 7260 driver: iwlwifi
           IF: wlp1s0 state: down mac: e6:b4:f7:1c:48:19
           Card-2: Intel I211 Gigabit Network Connection driver: igb
           IF: enp2s0 state: down mac: 00:e2:69:05:f6:9e
           Card-3: Intel I211 Gigabit Network Connection driver: igb
           IF: enp3s0 state: down mac: 00:e2:69:05:f6:9f
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 544.1GB (2.8% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: MTFDDAV512MBF size: 512.1GB
           ID-2: USB /dev/sdb model: Cruzer_Slice size: 32.0GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 3.9G used: 8.7M (1%) fs: overlay dev: N/A
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 32.5C mobo: 29.8C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 153 Uptime: 6 min Memory: 602.3/7905.1MB
           Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.5