Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Gnome logging out user with sudo privileges

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
korky

Gnome logging out user with sudo privileges

#1 Post by korky »

Hi guys, I have reinstalled Debian 9 and since then I am experiencing serious problem running GNOME on it. I know that It is not recommended to run GUI apps with sudo, but after finding command

Code: Select all

xhost si:localuser:root
it allows me to run GUI SW with sudo. Unfortunatelly just after one second I am loged out from system, the same thing happens when I choose Gnome on Xorg. In the past I have never experienced that problem on Xorg. Whats more I am also loged out from system when I plug in USB Flash disk, or when I mount something (eg. loop). I am running Gnome Shell 3.26.2 and Debian 9 with kernel 4.14.0-3. I have been looking for solution since yesterday, but I have not found somebody with same issue. It look like as an issue with sudo. By the way user, who I am using is also part of sudo group, my sudoers:

%sudo   ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL
juraj ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL
Last edited by korky on 2018-01-23 08:35, edited 1 time in total.

debiman

Re: Gnome logging out user

#2 Post by debiman »

korky wrote:I know that It is not recommended to run GUI apps with sudo, but after finding command

xhost si:localuser:root
it allows me to run GUI SW with sudo.
this is relevant.
please update your thread title to "Gnome logging out user with sudo privileges" or something.

korky

Re: Gnome logging out user with sudo privileges

#3 Post by korky »

It looks like to be user related, because when I created new user there is no loging out when I attache some storage or unmount it. When I use metacity there is no problem on both accounts. Now when I plug in USB stick it notifies me about mounting and then I can see grey backgroud as in login screen and immediately it logs me in refreshing whole desktop with windows. The same process can be seen when I unmount it.

korky

Re: Gnome logging out user with sudo privileges

#4 Post by korky »

Problem has been solved, luckily. This issue was caused by enabled Places Status Indicator in GNOME Tweak Tools. After disabling it, everything works like a charm.