Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Severe graphical glitches since Debian 9 upgrade

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
hellvetica

Severe graphical glitches since Debian 9 upgrade

#1 Post by hellvetica »

Today i did a dist-upgrade to debian streetch and instantly started experiencing these graphical issues that render the machine unusable: https://youtu.be/qBE64gtDOnI

Edit: this is Gnome3 in the video but it also happens in the login screen

This bug report says i should downgrade my kernel for a workaround.
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=878221
But that didn't work for me. These are the kernels i tried running and the issue persisted withot change.
linux-image-3.16.0-5-amd64
linux-image-3.16.0-4-amd64
linux-image-4.9.0-5-amd64
linux-image-4.9.0-3-amd64

Any help is appreciated.

My laptop:
HP ProBook 450 G1 model#: FOY18EA
i5-4200M
Intel 4200 HD graphics
AMD radeon 8750M hd gpu
8gb RAM

bw123

Re: Severe graphical glitches since Debian 9 upgrade

#2 Post by bw123 »

Have you tried toggling the driver Xorg is using between intel/modesetting?
or toggling the accel method?
There is an example in /usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-video-intel

Have you tried a newer kernel from backports?

I don't think the older kernels from jessie (3.16) would be good, but there is a 4.9.0-4 for stretch you could try.

Did you get all the newer firmware during the upgrade? There is even newer firmware in stretch backports.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

hellvetica

#3 Post by hellvetica »

I also tried these kernels
linux-image-4.14.0-0.bpo.3-amd64 as someone said the issues doesn't appear there (it does)
linux-image-4.9.0-3-amd64

I also added the stretch backports to my sources.list and updated everythig but to no avail.

What might be interesting is when i ran Xorg -configure and then manually started the x server with the new generated file /root/xorg.conf.new i got this error.

amdgpu_device_initialize: DRM version is 2.48.0 but this driver is only compatible with 3.x.x.

How do i go about updating this?

EDIT: yes i tried changing the accelmethod in xorg.conf but as far as i can tell it did nothing.

Thorny

#4 Post by Thorny »

hellvetica wrote: I also added the stretch backports to my sources.list and updated everythig but to no avail.
I hope you don't mean everything literally.

This introduction is from the Debian backports page.
Introduction

You are running Debian stable, because you prefer the Debian stable tree. It runs great, there is just one problem: the software is a little bit outdated compared to other distributions. This is where backports come in.

Backports are packages taken from the next Debian release (called "testing"), adjusted and recompiled for usage on Debian stable. Because the package is also present in the next Debian release, you can easily upgrade your stable+backports system once the next Debian release comes out. (In a few cases, usually for security updates, backports are also created from the Debian unstable distribution.)

Backports cannot be tested as extensively as Debian stable, and backports are provided on an as-is basis, with risk of incompatibilities with other components in Debian stable. Use with care!

It is therefore recommended to only select single backported packages that fit your needs, and not use all available backports.

There is no easy or guaranteed path back to stable if you upgraded everything to backports versions.

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

It's probably due to an xorg.conf file you carried over from Jessie; you normally don't need those for free xorg drivers. What is your primary GPU, the Intel or the AMD one? Can you control this in your computer's setup utility, and is this a desktop or laptop?
MX Linux packager and developer

hellvetica

#6 Post by hellvetica »

Looks like returning this install back to normal is going to be more work than it's worth. Ive been planning to do a clean install for a while anyway so i guess this is as good of a time as any.
I backed up all my data and I'm making a bootable usb now. Thank you all for your help though.

Wheelerof4te

#7 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Just in case the glitches return, check out my thread about something similar:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=135567