Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED]: KiCAD Nightly Builds

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

[SOLVED]: KiCAD Nightly Builds

#1 Post by cds60601 »

Hi all

is anyone actively doing anything with the nightly KiCAD builds like what is happening under Ubuntu?
Allow me to direct you - If you head on over to this link, http://kicad-pcb.org/download/ubuntu/
you can find that there is a ppa that allows anyone to pull in the previously mentioned.

I setup a quick Ubuntu system and pulled down a build last night (deb format) and thought i might just be able to install them under STABLE.
There were a few items, one that stands out is libssl 1.0.0 and I thought that was not being used due to vulnerabilities (just guessing on this)
But other upward dependencies were required that apparently Ubuntu knows how to deal with.

Anyways, if anyone has insight on the use of the older libssl and the upward dependencies (I'm just guessing here, but would including backports deal with these?)
or if someone is actually doing something like the PPA I mentioned, please let me know. Yes I know, I always have the option to install build-essential etc. and try to build from source (if I was a programmer of sorts, I would consider this - but I am not). I would prefer not to invest that much time for one application. No - I'm not lazy, I just don't have the time (I wish I did have the time).

TIA and cheers
Chris
Last edited by cds60601 on 2018-03-14 16:23, edited 2 times in total.
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

GarryRicketson

Re: KiCAD Nightly Builds

#2 Post by GarryRicketson »

Strange post for
Debian User Forums
by cds60601 » I setup a quick Ubuntu system and pulled down a ----snip-----
Most of us are using Debian and not Ubuntu, Are you sure you have the right forum ?

Be sure to read this before using these on Debian:
https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
The reason things can break is because the software packaged for one Debian release is built to be compatible with the rest of the software for that release. For example, installing packages from buster on a stretch system could also install newer versions of core libraries including libc6. This results in a system that is not testing or stable but a broken mix of the two.

Repositories that can create a FrankenDebian if used with Debian Stable:

Debian testing release (currently buster)

Debian unstable release (also known as sid)

Ubuntu, Mint or other derivative repositories are not compatible with Debian!
Ubuntu PPAs

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#3 Post by cds60601 »

GarryRicketson wrote:Strange post for
Debian User Forums
by cds60601 » I setup a quick Ubuntu system and pulled down a ----snip-----
Most of us are using Debian and not Ubuntu, Are you sure you have the right forum ?
Indeed I do and if you read the post, I did mentioned that I stood up an Ubuntu instance to see if I could offload the debs to my STABLE system (Meaning, Debian stable).
The whole point of the post was to see if someone/anyone has done anything with the Ki nightly like is being done for Ubuntu via the PPA.

So - I sorta blame myself if I was not clear on the wording (that tends to happen) so the fault lays on me :)

Cheers
Chris

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

You don't need to set up Ubuntu to get debs from a PPA; just click on the "technical details" link and surf into the actual repo that contains the packages and source files.

http://ppa.launchpad.net/js-reynaud/ppa ... n/k/kicad/

Using a version for an older version might work on Debian, but you're just rolling the dice with Ubuntu packages.

KiCad might also need more packages, looking at what's in the PPA. If you don't want to rebuild them yourself on your system, check out the free openSUSE Build Service (OBS).
MX Linux packager and developer

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#5 Post by cds60601 »

stevepusser wrote:You don't need to set up Ubuntu to get debs from a PPA; just click on the "technical details" link and surf into the actual repo that contains the packages and source files.

http://ppa.launchpad.net/js-reynaud/ppa ... n/k/kicad/

Using a version for an older version might work on Debian, but you're just rolling the dice with Ubuntu packages.

KiCad might also need more packages, looking at what's in the PPA. If you don't want to rebuild them yourself on your system, check out the free openSUSE Build Service (OBS).
Interesting... Yeah, I knew trying out the Ubu-debs would be a crap-shoot. And yes, I have thought about just compiling the source from a nightly build.
There are some features that nightly has that are not in the current Deb-STABLE (4.0.5) or Backports offering (4.0.7).

Alternatively, I suppose I could bump the Mrs. off her Win10 system (there is a nightly build for Windows) when I need to or wait on v5.

Thanks for the info!

Cheers
Chris

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

SOLVED: KiCAD Nightly Builds

#6 Post by cds60601 »

I went ahead and compiled from source. Turned out not be as difficult as I thought, a bit time consuming (compile time that is) and in the end, I now have v5 RC2 and quite happy with it. Now, will I compile a few more times before the actual release, that is the question isn't it (but probably not).

Cheers
Chris

stevepusser

Re: SOLVED: KiCAD Nightly Builds

#7 Post by stevepusser »

cds60601 wrote:I went ahead and compiled from source. Turned out not be as difficult as I thought, a bit time consuming (compile time that is) and in the end, I now have v5 RC2 and quite happy with it. Now, will I compile a few more times before the actual release, that is the question isn't it (but probably not).

Cheers
Chris
Did you build proper deb packages (vastly preferable) or just a manual compile and install? There's now a 5.0 rc1 version in Experimental that might be backportable. https://packages.debian.org/experimental/kicad

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

Re: SOLVED: KiCAD Nightly Builds

#8 Post by cds60601 »

stevepusser wrote:
Did you build proper deb packages (vastly preferable) or just a manual compile and install? There's now a 5.0 rc1 version in Experimental that might be backportable. https://packages.debian.org/experimental/kicad
I downloaded the source and compiled locally. No Debs created.

stevepusser

Re: [SOLVED]: KiCAD Nightly Builds

#9 Post by stevepusser »

I'll take a look at backporting the version in experimental tomorrow. Right now my machine's tied up building Qgis 3.0.0 ports--6+ hours for just the 64-bit packages! Oy!

stevepusser

#10 Post by stevepusser »

I cooked up some packages on vanilla Stretch pbuilders for MX 17 yesterday. It also required the templates, footprints, and symbol packages, so those are included. I installed those and the Kicad packages, and it started up the GUI, I poked a few buttons, but I didn't go any further than that: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1aEdBm ... Ji2yRYI9iN

I could also set those up in a repo on the openSUSE build service if there's any demand for one..

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#11 Post by cds60601 »

stevepusser wrote:I cooked up some packages on vanilla Stretch pbuilders for MX 17 yesterday. It also required the templates, footprints, and symbol packages, so those are included. I installed those and the Kicad packages, and it started up the GUI, I poked a few buttons, but I didn't go any further than that: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1aEdBm ... Ji2yRYI9iN

I could also set those up in a repo on the openSUSE build service if there's any demand for one..
I for one, appreciate the work you are/have done/doing, thank you :)

Cheers
Chris

stevepusser

#12 Post by stevepusser »

By the way, you've sent me a couple of PMs, but I can't reply, since you have PM receipt disabled for yourself.

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#13 Post by cds60601 »

stevepusser wrote:By the way, you've sent me a couple of PMs, but I can't reply, since you have PM receipt disabled for yourself.
LOL - Oh my. fixed.