Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Remote network boot

Need help with peripherals or devices?
checkout

Remote network boot

#1 Post by checkout »

Hi,

I need help, I try to reboot remotely a computer on network and I found nothing.
I know this function is allowed on windows but I can't find a solution on debian.

My system works on debian 9, I need to reboot remotely to on network to start a pxe boot.

Can somebody help ?

Regards,

GarryRicketson

Re: Remote network boot

#2 Post by GarryRicketson »

but I can't find a solution on debian.
Have you even tried to look ?

How to reboot a remote Debian 9 computer on network

Can somebody help ?
Not really, you do not tell us what OS the remote system is, how you access it, or anything.

When I need to reboot my server, I use ssh, to access, root logins are not permitted, so I log in as normal user. The I use 'su':

Code: Select all

$su
password:<enter password>
#reboot 
Then hit enter , that simple 
This is what I do for a Debain 7 server, it is pretty much the same, for all machines, however for example if the machine has "sudo" installed and is setup to use sudo, you would use 'sudo' in the command instead of su.
You are not the first person to decide they need to reboot a remote PC,
and the same on this:
My system works on debian 9, I need to reboot remotely to on network to start a pxe boot.
===================
1st hit: https://wiki.debian.org/PXEBootInstall
And there are at least 25 or more other that have the information,... you just need to read some of it,....
https://debian-administration.org/artic ... rk_booting
After you have actually tried some things, and if you have problems, give some specific information, what you actually tried, what OS it is, both your PC and the remote machine, what error messages say, if it does not work , etc.
Then maybe some one will be able to help.

checkout

#3 Post by checkout »

Ok, I think it is a misunderstanding.

I need to reboot remotely the computer (Debian 8) with the boot option "network controler" instead of "hard drive" to launch a pxe boot for a new debian installation.

Regards,

GarryRicketson

#4 Post by GarryRicketson »

Ok, no problem, actually though, I think some of the results in the search strings I showed do go into that, ( the last 3 links, in my post), if you don't find what you need, or have trouble understanding parts of what the say, when you clarify
what parts you do not understand, some one should be able to help.

checkout

#5 Post by checkout »

Ok so I didn't find a solution by following these links.

Actually I need to reboot the computer, press F9 and select network boot to enter in pxe mode.

The target is to do the same without being in front of the computer. So how can I change the boot order remotely ? and temporarily ?

Regards,

GarryRicketson

#6 Post by GarryRicketson »

Well, it is a pretty complicated deal, and nothing clear exact step by step, but some hints, in the search results there still is a lot of info I have not read,and you will need to weed through it all, read them,... or hire a expert that just "knows" how, give the tech access and all the details they ask for and need.
1st off, myself, I have never tried this, all though at one time I was in a situation where I thought I would try, but when I read some information and saw what risks are involved, and how complicated it could be, well I contacted a person
that takes care of the servers, and he did what I needed to do manually, for me.
Anyway, in this link:
https://wiki.debian.org/PXEBootInstall
During the installation you will need a network boot server.

As there are no fiducial boot servers out in the wild, you need to set up your own. This is considerably more complicated than installing Debian from CD (shorthand for CD or USB or ...). Normally, network booting is only used if there is really no way to boot from CD. If booting from CD fails this may be due to BIOS problems that will equally prevent network booting (typical troubleshooting attempts include switching off secure booting, switching from UEFI to legacy boot mode, and similar).
In the Web, several articles can be found that describe in more or less detail how to setup a network boot server. They all have the same weakness: You are required to execute a long list of instructions without getting any feedback before the very end of the procedure when you try to boot. If it works, fine. If not, debugging will become very very difficult. Therefore in the following we break down the procedure into steps that can be debugged separately.
===================
Activate PXE boot

Setup the BIOS boot menu of the Client to boot from the network.
Reboot. On most sytems this produces an output that contains the Client's MAC address. Then, it will fail with
PXE-E53: no boot filename received.
Note the MAC address, it will be helpful for interpreting log messages.
On many servers, it is also possible to temporary switch to PXE boot without permanently changing the BIOS settings. There will be some kind of key stroke to hit during BIOS POST. On Dell servers, F12 will do the trick (or Esc then @ from a serial or IPMI console).
Keep reading, just following some
links is not enough, you need to read, everything , What follows what I quoted,
is:
Set up DHCP server

On the Server, we need to set up a DHCP server. ----snip---
=============================
by checkout » So how can I change the boot order remotely ? and temporarily ?

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2055411

In another link , one of the many search results, there might be others that are even better, but the only way to know is by reading them.
The other: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2055411
Give some hint about it, in a nut shell it involves going into the grub boot menu, editing it so that it boots with what you want, again, not really simple and there are risks.
You do that before re-booting, when you reboot, assuming you edited the boot menu correctly, it will boot in the order you told it to,...
There still are quite a bit of details you don't give, The wiki, gives a example
that applies to Dell servers,
On Dell servers, F12 will do the trick (or Esc then @ from a serial or IPMI console).
How ever, you do not give any harware information, So how could anyone tell you what you need to do to access the bios ?
This "network", is it servers, ? or what ? . Why is it necessary to do this remotely ?, What will you do if for example you make a mistake, and it does not reboot, ? How will you power it on again ?
This also does explain how and what you need to do:
https://debian-administration.org/artic ... rk_booting

I can not spend any more time on this myself, I have to many other things I need to do, including making a living. Supposed to be retired, but my wife spends to much money and the pension is not enough.
How ever, I would suggest maybe trying to find a qualified technician, that you trust, and can afford. It is beyond the scope of this forum to recommend any in particular. I am not qualified for something like this, all though I do know a couple of guys that are, but they are not available either.
Maybe some body else on this forum can help you, sorry I can't do any more.

checkout

#7 Post by checkout »

Thx you so much for this help. I know what I'm doing is a little bit tricky.

The hardware is computers HP MP9 and HP ProLiant servers. The reason of this is because I need to deploy a new Debian and I will need to do it for each deployments. PXE Boot was a good idea at first but now I'm not so sure.

So I will try my last chance with HP company or find a new way.

Again, thx you for your help.

checkout

#8 Post by checkout »

Mmmm could this article be a way of solution ?

https://www.itworld.com/article/2708437 ... rd-of.html

checkout

#9 Post by checkout »

Ok I found the solution :D

Thx for help

GarryRicketson

#10 Post by GarryRicketson »

Don't you think it would be nice to share this:
Post by checkout » 2018-01-31 09:58
Ok I found the solution :D
I mean, there might be others looking for a solution, and even though there are
many solutions listed when one does a search, it still would be nice if others could know what the solution is/was. It works both ways, you ask for help, you should also help in return. But in any event, no obligations,... glad to know you found a solution.

checkout

#11 Post by checkout »

It is not the best solution, but it works.I reinstall debian system in UEFI and use the command "efibootmgr"...

Now my problem is "how to remote reinstall 1000 computers in UEFI"...