Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

upgrade from jessie to stretch -> missing options in setting

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Audricd

upgrade from jessie to stretch -> missing options in setting

#1 Post by Audricd »

Hello,

I performed yesterday the upgrade from jessie to stretch. I had a few warning regarding the xen integrations tools which i ignored because worst case scenario I reinstalled it.

Anyways, long story short: some options are missing on my system. I realized I was unable to change my locking screen account and it goes off at 10 mins which is really annoying.

googling, I read saw pictures of system settings with more options than mine:
https://pasteboard.co/H4JMRAt.png

I dont see hardware, for instance. And my research tells me that indeed, coming from kde4 the location is a bit misleading, it is now on plasma under desktop behavior and there should be an entry for "lock settings" but again, I dont have it:
https://pasteboard.co/H4JNQLB.png

I think something is broken. besides the xen issue, when I first booted up my desktop wouldnt finish loading. I had to go in rescue console and do some cleaning with -f install autoremove and some dpkg command as well too. And a lot of things were corrected. it was very late at night plus the amount of packages mentioned was insane and i was on the console so.. not much more detailed information i can give I am afraid.

but my panel control remains broken.

Any suggestions? I was thinking uninstall kde and reinstall. Two things bother me with that, its a bit invasive and no guarantee it will work (first time facing that kind of issue).

Any suggestions or ideas will be greatly appreciated. I am this close to have my perfect desktop
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUa9FXqW4AEl_RD.jpg:large

Wheelerof4te

Re: upgrade from jessie to stretch -> missing options in set

#2 Post by Wheelerof4te »

This is an overview of KDE5.8 LTS, used in Stretch:
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/10/kde- ... s-released

I saw plenty of people write that 5.8 is very much buggy and broken release. And I myself found it to be confusing to use.

bw123

#3 Post by bw123 »

5.8 as included in stretch is working fine for me, yeah it is confusing though,

try installing
kde-config-screenlocker
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Audricd

#4 Post by Audricd »

bw123 wrote: try installing
kde-config-screenlocker
Aaah that feels good. thank you!

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Post by sunrat »

Wheelerof4te wrote:I saw plenty of people write that 5.8 is very much buggy and broken release. And I myself found it to be confusing to use.
I wouldn't go so far as to say it's broken. A bit buggy but still quite useable. Plasma 5.10 is a huge improvement but it won't ever be in Stretch.
Also I don't find it confusing but I'm a long-time KDE user. Anything complex and unfamiliar will be confusing until you become familiar with it. For instance, driving a car is not something you can just start doing without a certain amount of learning and practice.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

dotlj

#6 Post by dotlj »

Code: Select all

aptitude show kde-plasma-desktop
Package: kde-plasma-desktop       
Version: 5:92
State: installed
Automatically installed: no
Priority: optional
Section: metapackages
Maintainer: Debian Qt/KDE Maintainers <debian-qt-kde@lists.debian.org>
Architecture: amd64
Uncompressed Size: 20.5 k
Depends: kde-baseapps (>= 4:16.04.0), kde-runtime (>= 4:16.04.0), plasma-desktop (>= 4:5.8), plasma-workspace (>=
         4:5.8), udisks2, upower
Recommends: kwin-x11 (>= 4:5.8), sddm (>= 0.11), xserver-xorg
Suggests: kde-l10n (>= 4:16.04.0)
Breaks: kde-minimal (< 5:57)
Description: KDE Plasma Desktop and minimal set of applications
 KDE is the powerful, integrated, and easy-to-use Free Software desktop platform and suite of applications. 

This metapackage pulls in the core modules released with the KDE Software Compilation including the basic KDE Plasma
 Desktop, minimal set of basic applications (browser, file manager, text editor, system settings, panel, etc.),
 important libraries and data.
Homepage: http://www.kde.org
Tags: role::metapackage, suite::kde
I've been using KDE for several releases and have tried other options, mainly LXDE, XFCE and openbox. As Sunrat says it is still quite usable.