Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Did Debian miss some sobumps on ffmpeg 3.4?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
stevepusser

Did Debian miss some sobumps on ffmpeg 3.4?

#1 Post by stevepusser »

I'm trying to build mpv 0.28, which requires a minimum of ffmpeg 3.4, against a backported ffmpeg 3.4.1, and it fails with messages that certain minimum versions of libav libraries are not found. It wants a minimum of some libavcodec 58 version, for example, and 3.4.1 is still providing a 57 version. Apparently, 3.4.x is supposed to be generating those newer libraries.

When I searched for libavcodec58, I found that other non-deb distros had switched to those newer packages with ffmpeg 3.4. This problem also affects Ubuntu. I don't use Debian testing myself, but this seems worthy of a bug report for ffmpeg.

I can probably cheat and build mpv with an internal ffmpeg to work around the bug, but that's not really solving the issue...
MX Linux packager and developer

llivv

Re: Did Debian miss some sobumps on ffmpeg 3.4?

#2 Post by llivv »

there are a lot of libav libraries that are buried in the repo
and the depends are quite confusing espeically with the *-extra?? packages
usually the dev packages fix a ton of unusual compiling issues
(sid)
libavcodec-dev
libavdevice-dev
libavfilter-dev
libavformat-dev
libavutils-dev
libavresample-dev
libavutil-dev

libzmp5 - kernel messaging library broke when I tried to install the libavcodec-extra and libavfilter-extra (meta packages)
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

Yes, I'm well aware of the differences between the various libraries. Perhaps you did not understand me. Mpv 0.28.0 wants to compile against libavcodec58-dev, for one, and that's not available in Debian. It should have been generated by the builds of ffmpeg 3.4.X, but instead Debian still generates libavcode57 from that source, where other distros are generating libavcodec58 from the same source, and are able to compile the latest mpv. I have worked around mpv by having build and use an internal ffmpeg.

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

stevepusser wrote:Debian still generates libavcode57 from that source
I think it's this section in debian/rules:

Code: Select all

override_dh_makeshlibs:
	set -e && for pkg in $(shell dh_listpackages -a) ; do \
		case $$pkg in \
			ffmpeg|*-dev) \
				continue \
				;; \
			*avcodec*) \
				soversion=$$(echo $$pkg | sed -nr 's/^[^0-9]*([0-9]+)$$/\1/p'); \
				dh_makeshlibs -p $$pkg -V"libavcodec$$soversion (>= ${DEB_VERSION_EPOCH_UPSTREAM}) | libavcodec-extra$$soversion (>= ${DEB_VERSION_EPOCH_UPSTREAM})" \
				;; \
			*avfilter*) \
				soversion=$$(echo $$pkg | sed -nr 's/^[^0-9]*([0-9]+)$$/\1/p'); \
				dh_makeshlibs -p $$pkg -V"libavfilter$$soversion (>= ${DEB_VERSION_EPOCH_UPSTREAM}) | libavfilter-extra$$soversion (>= ${DEB_VERSION_EPOCH_UPSTREAM})" \
				;; \
			*) \
				dh_makeshlibs -p $$pkg -V \
				;; \
		esac \
	done
Perhaps try a build without override_dh_makeshlibs?
deadbang

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

Well, there would be some more changes required, such as the package names in the control file and for the install files, plus wherever that code is getting the actual numbers to plug in. There were at least a couple more packages that the mpv build said also required version bumps besides libavcodec. No doubt this issue is why we haven't seen mpv 0.28 in Debian yet, though it's now been out a while.

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

It looks like there's a belated fix with the ffmpeg now in Experimental:
ffmpeg (7:3.5~git20180113-1) experimental; urgency=medium

* New upstream development snapshot.
* Bump SONAMEs of all libraries.
* Remove ffserver (removed upstream).

llivv

#7 Post by llivv »

stevepusser wrote:Yes, I'm well aware of the differences between the various libraries. Perhaps you did not understand me. Mpv 0.28.0 wants to compile against libavcodec58-dev, [...] ffmpeg.
Yep, I didn't understand which version(s) you were posting about.
I haven't seen libavcodec58 in sid either.
Since I'd been deep into untangling multi-ach deps for the first time when I read the OP I thought I'd offer up something and hopefully start more speculation regarding the issue(s).
I haven't used experimental in a few years and I didn't have enough room upstairs to go take a look if 58 was in there when I posted.
Like with Sid when we're dealing with experimental we have a few more than 2 pieces to hold if it breaks, and being the nature of the beast when it breaks if we wait a few updates typically it's patched up.

Thanks for responding to my post and I hope the new version makes compiling new MPV in debian easier now.
ps fffplay has enough features builtin to satisfy my local vid watching preferences although I still might check out mpv to see the differences between it an mplayer..
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

stevepusser

#8 Post by stevepusser »

I was able to build the Experimental ffmpeg on a Buster repo on the OBS, but then some other packages wouldn't build against the newer ffmpeg. So I'm going to try reverting to the stock ffmpeg there.