Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Only root can login

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Debro20

Only root can login

#1 Post by Debro20 »

I recently set up a Debian based home media server (running OpenMediaVault 3 on top of Debian 8 Jessie).

I am having a weird problem which I can't solve - it seems when trying to login in via SSH or remote desktop, only root user can login. Any of my other users refuse to login, saying the password is wrong even though I checked it's right. I tried creating new users but they don't work either. I checked the /etc/pam.d files but couldn't find anything wrong there. The users even worked before, I'm not sure what happened now. Note that logins still work for my SMB shares. Any clue?

makh

Re: Only root can login

#2 Post by makh »

Hi

Check: Allow remote access to normal users.

Thankyou
ThinkPad E14: Arch, Debian Stable
GUI: Xfce

For new: Try MX Linux, Linux Mint; later join Debian Stable

bw123

#3 Post by bw123 »

Is the problem only with ssh logins?

This happened to me once with all logins when permissions in certain directories under / were not correct, especially /tmp check also permissions on /home
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Debro20

#4 Post by Debro20 »

makh wrote:Hi

Check: Allow remote access to normal users.

Thankyou
Thank you! This solved my problem. I followed the directions here: https://techglimpse.com/limit-remote-lo ... ux-server/