Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Year of the Linux Desktop is near

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Wheelerof4te

Re: Year of the Linux Desktop is near

#21 Post by Wheelerof4te »

^You still have BSD's and Slackware if tinkering with the OS rather than using it to do any work is your thing. For others, simplifying Linux might be a blessing they were hoping for.
As for the developers, they will get more coherent platform for their software.

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#22 Post by steve_v »

Wheelerof4te wrote:You still have BSD's and Slackware if tinkering with the OS rather than using it to do any work is your thing. For others, simplifying Linux might be a blessing they were hoping for.
Huh, seems I'm capable of doing both. Who would'a thuk it?
Wheelerof4te wrote:As for the developers, they will get more coherent platform for their software.
As for the commercial software vendors, they will get an easier way to distribute closed-source crap.
FTFY.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

golinux

#23 Post by golinux »

steve_v wrote:
Wheelerof4te wrote:As for the developers, they will get more coherent platform for their software.
As for the commercial software vendors, they will get an easier way to distribute closed-source crap.
FTFY.
Indeed. Closed-source c**p that creates a revenue stream from paid support. IOW, broken by design for profit . . .
May the FORK be with you!

n_hologram

#24 Post by n_hologram »

Wheelerof4te wrote:^You still have BSD's and Slackware if tinkering with the OS rather than using it to do any work is your thing. For others, simplifying Linux might be a blessing they were hoping for.
I think most people like the idea of "simple" -- FOSS advocates especially. What concerns me is that your post history suggests that "simple" is exemplified by programs like systemd and Gnome3. I think it best to revise the quoted comment to "simple GUI/UX" or something of the ilk.
If that's true (which I suspect it is), I ask that you take a few steps back and try your best to understand that you're pitching "simple UI over simple code" to a collective of developers -- not Debian developers, but people who maintain serious Linux projects.
I think you've been around long enough to know your audience. Is this a troll thread?
Last edited by n_hologram on 2018-02-06 19:16, edited 2 times in total.
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...

bw123

#25 Post by bw123 »

n_hologram wrote: Is this a troll thread?
After slurring bsd and slackware, you doubt? This poster does have a posting history, and I find it really strange. I'm glad you took a look too.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Wheelerof4te

#26 Post by Wheelerof4te »

n_hologram wrote:I think you've been around long enough to know your audience. Is this a troll thread?
Check the first post again and you will see what this thread is all about. I regrettably agree that the audience is the wrong one, maybe I should try on some other Linux forum.
Have a nice day.

n_hologram

#27 Post by n_hologram »

bw123 wrote:
n_hologram wrote: Is this a troll thread?
you doubt?
Only because wheeler is quite active in the beginner's section and seems to offer genuine advice from time to time.
I know that, for me, transitioning away from a desktop-oriented mindset didn't happen overnight. I think it's a consequence of the 21st-century peddling the belief that a "familiar graphical user interface" and "computers" are (or "should be") one in the same. There are many habits you have to break and learn; there's growing pains with that.
Maybe the Year of the Linux Desktop will emerge as an ironic return to a console-only workstation lol.
wheelerof4te wrote:Check the first post again and you will see what this thread is all about. I regrettably agree that the audience is the wrong one, maybe I should try on some other Linux forum.
Lol I read the original post. I'll share an anecdote about the non-relationship between new technology and open-source projects. Some years ago, I bought a new laptop, and had to upgrade to jessie (back when jessie was unstable) just to get a stable intel graphics driver. Consequently, a lot of things didn't work, and I had to create from scratch a lot of personal workarounds. If I hadn't known nearly as much about Linux as I did at the time, and if I wasn't willing to read and didn't have the time to research (or the ambition to make the time to research), I would have ditched it and returned to Windows in a heartbeat.
If you get a chance, I'm interested to know what other communities think about this topic. I know there's a lot of optimism over at the *buntu forums, because canonical is a gui-oriented project, and if things haven't radically changed since 2013, few of that forum's users are developers. The Lubuntu community actually really likes the idea, and outreach with local communities to resurrect old PCs for community centers for under-resourced children and whatnot, which I think is wonderful.
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...

HuangLao

#28 Post by HuangLao »

Linux has already won everywhere except desktop....desktop popularity is nowhere near as important as the other areas where Linux dominates. Think supercomputers, satellites, military, government, cellphones, IOT (internet of things or internet of threats, you choose), etc....Let Apple and Microsoft fight over desktops, that peanuts compares to what Linux is used for.

bw123

#29 Post by bw123 »

you doubt?

Only because wheeler is quite active in the beginner's section and seems to offer genuine advice from time to time.
Yeah I agree, many good posts, but some odd ones. I put my foot in my mouth quite often, so maybe it was just a bad joke. I'm sure there is plenty of serious work being done by both bsd and slackware users.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

HuangLao

#30 Post by HuangLao »

Wheelerof4te wrote:^You still have BSD's and Slackware if tinkering with the OS rather than using it to do any work is your thing. For others, simplifying Linux might be a blessing they were hoping for.
As for the developers, they will get more coherent platform for their software.

tinkering rather than working...ROFLMAO....Slackware was the first GNU/Linux OS used in outer space and is still used in many technically sound and complicated environments...BSD code is in Apple to name just one example, that is far from tinkering...

Head_on_a_Stick

#31 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Wheelerof4te wrote:You still have BSD's and Slackware if tinkering with the OS rather than using it to do any work is your thing
Is that why Netflix proudly boast of their FreeBSD server capabilities that far exceed anything Linux can manage?

Or why Microsoft now fund OpenBSD for the use of their LibreSSL software in Windows?

Your comments are offensive and ignorant, please stop.
deadbang

acewiza

#32 Post by acewiza »

HuangLao wrote:Think supercomputers, satellites, military, government, cellphones, IOT (internet of things or internet of threats, you choose), etc...
Exactly. Harbor no illusions about Linux' role where alot of the real computing work is getting done.
Nobody would ever ask questions If everyone possessed encyclopedic knowledge of the man pages.

makh

#33 Post by makh »

ThinkPad E14: Arch, Debian Stable
GUI: Xfce

For new: Try MX Linux, Linux Mint; later join Debian Stable

Head_on_a_Stick

#34 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

^ Is there an echo in here? :roll:
deadbang

alan stone

#35 Post by alan stone »

Wheelerof4te wrote:^You still have BSD's and Slackware if tinkering with the OS rather than using it to do any work is your thing.
This fired my Bull Shit Detector. :mrgreen:

Back to tinkering my BSD setup...
Last edited by alan stone on 2018-02-12 13:29, edited 2 times in total.

Lysander

#36 Post by Lysander »

Wheelerof4te wrote:^You still have BSD's and Slackware if tinkering with the OS rather than using it to do any work is your thing.
I think this may come down to relative interpretations of the words 'simple' and 'tinkering'. 'Simple' can either mean easy to use, or, in the context of *nix, it can mean single-processed. Slackware is not easy to use, but it does support a simple paradigm of one process > one action [or output].

'Tinkering', on the other hand, has the implication of 'needlessly tweaking' or 'unnecessary voluntary tweaking' for minor performance benefits in the face of production [which is what you seem to be referring to]. However, 'tinkering' could also [or either] refer to 'necessary revisions on a rolling distro' if, e.g. an updated package breaks another.

In the case of an OS like Slackware, which has a stable branch, tinkering, by the first definition, is voluntary. When you have it set up as you want, it will leave you alone. You can choose when to update. There is no hindrance to productivity. If you are running a rolling distro like Arch, then 'necessary revisions' are more likely to be a timesink.
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Your comments are offensive and ignorant, please stop.
They do show a level of ignorance but there are two types of ignorance - one is wanton and one is not. If Wheeler realises the impact of his comments and chooses to adapt them, then all the better. I think this would be preferable course of action rather than skipping to another forum, whereby there is still potential to cause offence. On the other hand, asking someone to desist because of offence caused does not solve all related issues in itself - there are [at least] two solutions - the 'offender' learning from experience or both parties accepting differences/perspectives. Here we are dealing with facts rather than opinions so, once again, the former course would theoretically be preferable.

Head_on_a_Stick

#37 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Lysander wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Your comments are offensive and ignorant, please stop.
To clarify: I meant that the OP should stop the ignorant comments, their assistance in support threads is always welcome.
deadbang

Luna Moon

#38 Post by Luna Moon »

I guess we will see if this opportunity will make Linux more popular for people, who are being pushed away from windows or not. I doubt it, but only future can tell.

Lysander

#39 Post by Lysander »

Luna Moon wrote:I guess we will see if this opportunity will make Linux more popular for people, who are being pushed away from windows or not. I doubt it, but only future can tell.
Well, the telemetry employed by W10 did push some people over to Linux. As did the adoption of Steam for some others. However, market share appears to have dropped on the desktop in recent months. There was a period in the summer where it flirted with 3% but now it's back down. Maybe some people had time to experiment over the holidays only to revert to Windows.

debiman

#40 Post by debiman »

Luna Moon wrote:I guess we will see if this opportunity will make Linux more popular for people, who are being pushed away from windows or not. I doubt it, but only future can tell.
i concur with your doubts.
linux is plenty popular already, and its use cases just grow and grow.
no wonder, who wouldn't want to have a free & secure OS on their $DEVICE.
there is absolutely no benefit from "recruiting ex-windows users" or some such except for those who actually make money with linux.
now they, of course, would like you to believe that you have a moral obligation to spread the good word, be polite to newbies, yada yada, all to "Make Linux Better" - but imo it's wrong. we need more knowledgeable & inspired users/developers/co-ordinators, not more newbs and forum nannies.

don't get me wrong, i'm not saying "newbs get out" - no, i'm saying there's a certain threshold to using linux, and that you just have to push through yourself. there's no point in "masking" the configuration behind a "userfriendly" gui & overly-polite forums, only to get more users - more broken software - more misunderstanding - more problems.