Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Getting rid of Windows

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Nili

Re: Getting rid of Windows

#21 Post by Nili »

sunrat wrote:I wouldn't call it great, but it's acceptable if you kill all it's dark underbelly - https://www.winprivacy.de/english-home/
Only because you can't play GTAV on Linux. :wink:
Security points, unwanted startup-services and bloatware apps/tools are worse permanent concerns on that system.
Multimedia and Games keeps me one foot on Windows. For those few service I'm delighted :)
openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE/Wayland

♫♪ Elisa playing...
Damascus Cocktail ♪ Black Reverie ♪ Dye the sky.

pawRoot

#22 Post by pawRoot »

I installed Windows 10 Home few days ago just to test some stuff, and i tried to install Firefox, i was told by Windows that i can't install it
because it's from unverified source or something, and to click on link to learn how to install it anyway.
The link moved me to Windows store with Win Proffesional in it for only 220 euro. :lol:

Are they for real ?

debutano

#23 Post by debutano »

There's one good reason to get rid of Windows 10, especially for those who subscribe to limited data plan. Why? Because Windows 10 auto-downloads upgrades to your machine and then uses your machine to upgrade other machines. This happens not only to machines on a wlan. It is also done through the Internet.
Users with 3G/4G limited data subscription will find their quota used up quickly. Isn't this criminal? How could MS be allowed to get away with it?

RU55EL

#24 Post by RU55EL »

pawRoot wrote:I installed Windows 10 Home few days ago just to test some stuff, and i tried to install Firefox, i was told by Windows that i can't install it
because it's from unverified source or something, and to click on link to learn how to install it anyway.[...]
You can change the settings in Windows to allow unverified software sources. I have Firefox installed on my one Windows 10 computer, it works perfectly. (Although, I very much prefer to use Firefox in Debian.)
debutano wrote:There's one good reason to get rid of Windows 10, especially for those who subscribe to limited data plan. Why? Because Windows 10 auto-downloads upgrades to your machine and then uses your machine to upgrade other machines. [...]

Again, this can be prevented by changing some of the settings in Windows.

That is one of the things that I really don't like about Windows. The default setting are rather geared toward Microsoft's benefit. After a fresh install of Windows, there are a couple dozen services to disable, and quite a few setting that I change in favor of my interests and security.

I only use Windows if I have to, usually due to the need for use of proprietary software. When I do, I inevitably get reminded why I love Debian so much. For example, anytime you install software, you must be careful to read the dialogs carefully otherwise you may end up installing software that you don't want or need in addition to the software you originally wanted to install. Debian, among other GNU/Linux operating systems, installs what you tell it to install and only what you tell it to install. You don't find your browser home page changed, or a new icon in your system tray.

I dual booted my computers for a while years ago, but came to the conclusion that it is a waste of disc space. I keep one of my notebook computers loaded with Windows, but all of my other computers have clean and pure installs of debian. Actually, my most used three computers, the one connected to my television, and my desktop computers at work and at home have never had Windows installed on them.

My version of getting rid of Windows. If your computer is supplied with Windows, remove the OS drive with Windows on it, set it aside so that you can use it later if needed (hey, you paid for it) and perform a clean install of Debian on a new drive. Or, better yet, buy a computer with no OS, or build one from discrete components and install Debian from the start.

Bulkley

#25 Post by Bulkley »

Windows 10 auto-downloads upgrades to your machine . . .
Change your Windows password. Then do what RU55EL said. That's the short fix. Personally, I think you are on the right path getting rid of Windows. There is something really satisfying about formatting a drive that has Windows on it. Bye Bill!

Since you are starting out. Try some live-CDs or live-USBs to get a feel for different Linux distros. A live version runs in memory so you can play without commitment. Where I suggest you start is with this one.

debutano

#26 Post by debutano »

I have checked through the settings. You can only block auto-downloads-uploads when you connect your computer to the Internet through a wlan, not when it is connected through a wwan using 3g/4g/5g modem.

RU55EL

#27 Post by RU55EL »

debutano wrote:I have checked through the settings. You can only block auto-downloads-uploads when you connect your computer to the Internet through a wlan, not when it is connected through a wwan using 3g/4g/5g modem.
So, if you don’t want Windows 10 automatically downloading updates on your home network connection, just set it as a metered connection. Windows 10 will automatically download updates when you connect your device to an unmetered network, or when you set the network it’s connected to as unmetered again. And yes, Windows will remember this setting for each individual network, so you can disconnect from that network and reconnect all you like.
Google (or DuckDuckGo) is your friend!

Of course, the best solution is not to use Windows. This is the Debian Users Forum!

Danielsan

#28 Post by Danielsan »

I had the problem to get rid of Ubuntu... :lol:

Head_on_a_Stick

#29 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

debutano wrote:Isn't this criminal?
It certainly should be.
debutano wrote:How could MS be allowed to get away with it?
Monopoly.
deadbang

alan stone

#30 Post by alan stone »

debutano wrote:How could MS be allowed to get away with it?
Bit by bit and byte by byte.
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Monopoly.
And through crony capitalism, decades lasting kakistocracy and - above all - this.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#31 Post by sunrat »

While we're hangin' it on Windows, I'd like to share a related story.
Recently I was commissioned to do a live multitrack recording for which I needed to use a Digico UB MADI interface to record tracks from a Digico SD10 mixer. There is no documented Linux driver for this interface (although I've heard since it may work) so I used my desktop PC with Win10 and Waves Tracks Live software. However Tracks Live wouldn't initialize properly with the interface so I decided to try Reaper which ultimately worked well.
Reaper wasn't installed however so I had to hotspot my phone and download it (~30MB). I neglected to disconnect it and Windows used 15GB of mobile data which cost me an extra $100 on my bill! So that's what auto downloads/uploads can do. Not happy. :? :evil:
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!