Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

toggle "always on top"

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
morgon

toggle "always on top"

#1 Post by morgon »

Hi,

I am running testing with gnome-shell and have bound a keyboard-shortcut to this

Code: Select all

wmctrl -r :ACTIVE: -b add,above
the effect of which is that I can make a window alway be on top by selecting it and hitting the shortcut.

What I want now is to toggle this behaviour (i.e. when I hit the shortcut again I want the window to loose this "always on top" property.

What I know is that I could add a new shortcut with this:

wmctrl -r :ACTIVE: -b remove,above
but I want only one.

Now the funny thing is that there is actually a "toggle"-funcionality in wmctrl like this:

wmctrl -r :ACTIVE: -b toggle,above
however sadly it does not work (i.e. it turns on the property but never turns it off).

So how can I do this?

Is there anything to make the "toggle" in wmctrl work as I would want it to work or is there a way to determine if a window already has this property so I could make then the appropreate wmctrl-call (at the moment I understand how to set or remove this propery, but not how to query it...).

Many thanks!

debiman

Re: toggle "always on top"

#2 Post by debiman »

i noticed myself that not all those hints work on all window managers.
wmctrl had its last update in 2005, so i guess we should be happy it works at all.

you can script around the limitation.

fwiw, all features can be reproduced with more low-level xorg utilities.

morgon

#3 Post by morgon »

debiman wrote: you can script around the limitation.
I case you haven't noticed:

This whole post is about how to script around it.

So if you want to add some value, please provide some examples on how to "script around it".

I easily provide all the cheap talk myself, thank you very much..

debiman

#4 Post by debiman »

sorry for being so cheap in trying to help you.
next time i'll make sure to provide you with a gilded script (which language would you prefer? is bash too cheap?) & a foot massage with expensive oils.

Thorny

#5 Post by Thorny »

So morgon,
Do you see that when you respond with "attitude", it is not conducive to productive dialogue or help?

In addition, things often escalate from this point and there is the risk of your question being locked by a Moderator.

It's usually best to not feel offended if you can at all avoid it.

Just my opinion. I believe debiman could help you if he wanted to.

debiman

#6 Post by debiman »

Thorny wrote:I believe debiman could help you if he wanted to.
i wanted, and i did.
the offending post was well researched, both online and on my machine, and not just off the top of my head.
it contains important information, but op chose to ignore that and just be offended. whatever :shrugs:

Thorny

#7 Post by Thorny »

debiman wrote: ..., but op chose to ignore that and just be offended. whatever :shrugs:
Yes, unfortunately, there is quite a lot of that, perhaps it is a sign of the times.

Wheelerof4te

#8 Post by Wheelerof4te »

morgon wrote:I am running testing with gnome-shell
My advice would be, since you already chose GNOME, to adapt to it's workflow if you can. GNOME is not very backward-compatible, nor do it's devs want it to be.
It is a desktop cattering to the new generations, of both users and devices.
If you need heavy customization options, choose a window manager like openbox, or XFCE4 DE.