Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Cannot connect to WiFi, but can see

Need help with peripherals or devices?
ap4ss3rby

Cannot connect to WiFi, but can see

#1 Post by ap4ss3rby »

In short, when I attempt to connect to a network, it takes long to do anything, and when it finally shows anything, it shows disconnected in my desktop environment, the wifi adapter in question is a tenda w311m(rt5370)
Also, if I add firmware-misc-nonfree to the installation media, the installer recognizes it and uses it normally

debiman

Re: Cannot connect to WiFi, but can see

#3 Post by debiman »

ap4ss3rby wrote:Also, if I add firmware-misc-nonfree to the installation media, the installer recognizes it and uses it normally
so it worked ok during install, but not anymore?
interesting.

please provide the information requested here:
https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=24

shep

Re: Cannot connect to WiFi, but can see

#4 Post by shep »

RT5370 wifi chips will not function without firmware. RaLink, now MediaTek, supplies the firmware to all manufacturers who utilize their chip. The firmware is the same whether it comes from Tenda or Debian's rt2800usb package.

Because the chipset, with firmware, works with the installer it suggests that your problem lies elsewhere. The least complex method to manage a connection is described in the WPA-PSK and WPA2-PSK section in the Wifi/HowToUse wiki page.

I usually do a minimal install and copy/paste the CLI example above. You can generate the wpa psk hash using

Code: Select all

#wpa_passphrase Your_SSID Your_PSK >> /etc/network/interfaces
For me, this has always worked for supported chipsets.

If your installation brought in one of the 3 different network management scripts, it would help to provide what is being used - some of these have known quirks