Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

1st debian install, what should it include

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
gel

#1 Post by gel »

Installed debian 9 from network via usb stick. Installation seemed normal, asked the usual questions, made no complaints, BUT

'-bash: foo: command not found' is returned when foo is sudo, mc, startx, screen, tmux, man (Not even any man pages??)
But It does have vim.
Ctrl-Alt-F7 does not exist, only F1 through F6
apt-get does not work, no internet connection.

Installation made to an acer Chromebook c720 that previously contained arch linux.

Is this minimal command-line setup normal for debian, I was rather expecting to see an XFCE desktop?

GarryRicketson

Re: 1st debian install, what should it include

#2 Post by GarryRicketson »

Some better details, like where you got your install iso, ? Exactly which one ?
What documentation did you use, if any for your install instructions ?
I sounds like you did manage to install a minimal base system.
Sudo does not come installed by default on Debian, it does need to be installed if you think you must have it . Tmux I don't believe is in any default installs, either.
What you have is normal for a "base" system, but is also depends on what image, of the many that are available you used.....I am thinking you did not read much documentation before installing, if you had you would have found information on what the various images and install methods include, or do not include.
It would be best for you to start here, the first hit:
https://www.debian.org/CD/faq/
For example, a similar question is answered:
Can I have a list of all the packages contained in an image?

Yes. Look on cdimage.debian.org for the corresponding .list.gz file - it will list all the packages and source files included in the image. For Debian Live images, you can find in the same directory as the image files some similarly named files suffixed with .packages. Download these and then search them for the desired package name.
When I install Debian, I just use the "base" system my self, I don't want or need most of the junk the other images include, .. XFCE is ok, but I don't want it, since I use OpenBox, What you should include in your install depends on what you want and need. After I have the base system, I install Xorg and OpenBox, I do use some XFCE utilities, which I install later as well but not the entire DE. I can't tell you what your first install should include, you have to decide on that.
Here is waht the FAQ says about the netinstall, and it is correct:
What is a "netinst" or "network install" CD?

To quote the network install page: A "network install" or "netinst" CD is a single CD which enables you to install the entire operating system. This single CD contains just the minimal amount of software to start the installation and fetch the remaining packages over the Internet.
If you only want to install Debian on a single machine which has a fast Internet connection, the network install may be the fastest and easiest option for you: You only download the packages that you selected for installation on your machine, which saves both time and bandwidth.
Pay particular attention to : You only download the packages that you selected for installation on your machine, .... so , What packages did you select ? If you did not select any, you end up with a "base system", nothing other then what is essential gets installed.
=======
by gel » apt-get does not work, no internet connection.
With no internet connection, you would not have been able to install anything
else, ... that is why you ended up with just a base system.

So, try reading a little documentation, and after that you might be able to decide which install image and method is best for you.

gel

#3 Post by gel »

GarryRicketson wrote:Some better details, like where you got your install iso, ? Exactly which one ?
What documentation did you use, if any for your install instructions ?
I sounds like you did manage to install a minimal base system.
Sudo does not come installed by default on Debian, it does need to be installed if you think you must have it . Tmux I don't believe is in any default installs, either.
What you have is normal for a "base" system, but is also depends on what image, of the many that are available you used.....I am thinking you did not read much documentation before installing, if you had you would have found information on what the various images and install methods include, or do not include.
It would be best for you to start here, the first hit:
https://www.debian.org/CD/faq/
For example, a similar question is answered:
Can I have a list of all the packages contained in an image?

Yes. Look on cdimage.debian.org for the corresponding .list.gz file - it will list all the packages and source files included in the image. For Debian Live images, you can find in the same directory as the image files some similarly named files suffixed with .packages. Download these and then search them for the desired package name.
When I install Debian, I just use the "base" system my self, I don't want or need most of the junk the other images include, .. XFCE is ok, but I don't want it, since I use OpenBox, What you should include in your install depends on what you want and need. After I have the base system, I install Xorg and OpenBox, I do use some XFCE utilities, which I install later as well but not the entire DE. I can't tell you what your first install should include, you have to decide on that.
Here is waht the FAQ says about the netinstall, and it is correct:
What is a "netinst" or "network install" CD?

To quote the network install page: A "network install" or "netinst" CD is a single CD which enables you to install the entire operating system. This single CD contains just the minimal amount of software to start the installation and fetch the remaining packages over the Internet.
If you only want to install Debian on a single machine which has a fast Internet connection, the network install may be the fastest and easiest option for you: You only download the packages that you selected for installation on your machine, which saves both time and bandwidth.
Pay particular attention to : You only download the packages that you selected for installation on your machine, .... so , What packages did you select ? If you did not select any, you end up with a "base system", nothing other then what is essential gets installed.
=======
by gel » apt-get does not work, no internet connection.
With no internet connection, you would not have been able to install anything
else, ... that is why you ended up with just a base system.

So, try reading a little documentation, and after that you might be able to decide which install image and method is best for you.
I thank you for the excellent response, and my apologies for not replying to you sooner. My internet connection is wireless, thru coffee shops, libraries and the like, so I made the minimum download, for netinstall, expecting it would attempt to complete installation from the internet. As wicd was not among the apps included, I could not continue that installation, and instead downloaded the first of 3 dvds, which did, and has completed the install satisfactorily.

GarryRicketson

#4 Post by GarryRicketson »

Ahh, Ok, well your welcome, that explains.... it was similar for me, way back when I installed a "knoppix" image, same situation, I downloaded the image at a internet cafe, then at home and with no internet connection, installed it.
They (Debian) really should include at least some of the manual pages,
'man', in the image, just a few days ago I did a install with the current Stretch (stable) netinstall, (on a VM), and noticed that myself, no 'man' command, nor manuals.