Search in Dolphin without baloo

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

Search in Dolphin without baloo

Postby erore » 2018-03-03 17:13

Is there any way to make search working in Dolphin without that crappy baloo indexer? I am still amazed how such a terribly programmed thing can get into the stable release of debian but that is a different topic.

I go to system settings, disable search which disables baloo but it also disables any search in Dolphin. I am not really interested in searching for file content and even in that case, I think it could be done without a preexisting database.
I know I can always use find in terminal but still, since i am in gui and it uses Dolphin I would hope it is capable of file search without having to use a crappy indexer. Even windows explorer can do that when Windows search is disabled...

Thank you.
erore

Re: Search in Dolphin without baloo

Postby bw123 » 2018-03-03 17:59

kfind still works, I don't know if you can integrate it into the file manager or not.

I haven't had any problems with baloo, but I usually use it from krunner by hitting alt-F2 I think dolphin does need it enabled.
bw123

Postby Hallvor » 2018-03-03 18:33

Sorry, I don't know the answer. I guess a different option would be to use Konqueror or Krusader as file managers. (They are both very good.)
HP Elitebook 2570p, Intel Core i5 3320-M CPU @ 2.60 GHz, 6 GB RAM, Intel HD 4000 graphics, 240 GB SSD, Debian Stretch (KDE)
Hallvor

Postby sunrat » 2018-03-03 23:12

Dolphin here has "Find" in the top panel and works ok. Search is disabled in System Settings. I have Kfind installed and possibly that is what gives Dolphin the functionality or maybe it's some other package. This is in Plasma 5.12 but I vaguely recall it worked in 5.8 as well.
Usually I just hit F4 in Dolphin and use locate in the integrated terminal. It seems faster when searching many directories or the whole system.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!
sunrat

Return to Desktop & Multimedia