Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Black screen after login

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Sk1X1

Black screen after login

#1 Post by Sk1X1 »

Hello guys,
yesterday I shutdown my pc like any other day. Today I start up and login screen (KDM) appeared. I entered my password and hit Enter. But instead of KDE loading screen only black screen appeared. I tried to wait some time, but nothing changed. I have to turn off pc with power button.
When I switch to terminals (CTRL+ALT+Fx) I can login, but when I use startx command, black screen again or "xauth: timeout in locking authority file /home/sk1x1/.Xauthority" appeared
Also when I run Debian in Recovery mod (started from grub) and login as root, everything is okay.

Yeasterday I don't do anything unusual. Only thing I install was tightvnc.
Im using Debian 9 with Plasma.

Can you gime me hint where could I find some log with error?

debiman

Re: Black screen after login

#2 Post by debiman »

Sk1X1 wrote:Yeasterday I don't do anything unusual. Only thing I install was tightvnc.
Im using Debian 9 with Plasma.
you should look at apt history, what exactly you installed/upgraded.

it is also possible that trying to run X as root made things worse. you should NEVER do that.
look at permissions of files in you home folder, esp. those starting with ".X*".

it is difficult to say what the matter could be.
for starters, have a look at [these results](https://duckduckgo.com/html?q=debian%20 ... er%20login).