Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Drivers for Brother printer: dependencies

Need help with peripherals or devices?
davidss

Drivers for Brother printer: dependencies

#1 Post by davidss »

Hi,

I have recently installed Debian buster (64 bit architecture), and the time has come to get my printer to work (Brother MFC-7320). I have tried what I did previously in jessie (http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=124989; briefly, installed two .debs with dpkg --force-all), and it does work (I can print), but I do have another problem: when I try for example

Code: Select all

sudo aptitude upgrade
the system says:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 brmfc7320lpr:i386 : Depends: libc6:i386 (>= 2.3.4-1) which is a virtual package and is not provided by any available package

cupswrappermfc7320:i386 : Depends: libc6:i386 (>= 2.3.4-1) which is a virtual package and is not provided by any available package

The following actions will resolve these dependencies:

Remove the following packages:           
1)     brmfc7320lpr:i386 [2.0.2-1 (now)]      
2)     cupswrappermfc7320:i386 [2.0.2-1 (now)]

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?]
I didn't have that problem the previous time (I have been using aptitude in that Debian all the time), but I can't recall anything I did for that. It is possible that I allowed another architecture. My questions are:

1. Can I do anything to appease aptitude, other than installing the i386 version of libc6? Another set of drivers, perhaps ("aptitude search brother" gave nothing).
2. Do you advise against mixing two architectures?

Thanks

Ardouos

Re: Drivers for Brother printer: dependencies

#2 Post by Ardouos »

You can add 32 bit libs as a foreign architecture on a 64 bit system without problems.

https://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

Dai_trying

#3 Post by Dai_trying »

When I installed my Brother HL2340DW I used the installation script provided by the Brother support site, it installed everything I needed (including i386 packages) and everything worked very smoothly, although after this I did have an issue when trying to install some upgrades as the system didn't like having these i386 packages without the architecture being available. I added the i386 arch using dpkg and everything has been running correctly since.

davidss

#4 Post by davidss »

Thanks a lot. I did

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
and everything went well from there.