Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Is there any way to instruct mdadm to stop the array on fail

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Harkonnen

Is there any way to instruct mdadm to stop the array on fail

#1 Post by Harkonnen »

Is there any way to instruct mdadm to stop the array instead of kicking out member devices in case of failure?

There is an linux machine with raid-6 on external hard disks. This hdds have a separate power (in groups of 4). The problem - if such a block of hdds fails or gets disconnected, mdadm would kick them out of an array, resulting in a not working array. Yes, usually you can force assembly from this state, but...

So the question is - can i somehow instruct mdadm not to kick failed drives from an array but stop the array instead? I tried googling but nothing relevant seems to come up... this shouldn't be such an uncommon case....

acewiza

Re: Is there any way to instruct mdadm to stop the array on

#2 Post by acewiza »

Harkonnen wrote:can i somehow instruct mdadm not to kick failed drives from an array but stop the array instead?
Then why bother to use RAID at all? Just because somebody designed an Orwellian Contraption and called it a RAID array doesn't make it so.
Nobody would ever ask questions If everyone possessed encyclopedic knowledge of the man pages.