Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

keeping CPU Cool

Need help with peripherals or devices?
mike acker

keeping CPU Cool

#1 Post by mike acker »

when i run jobs that take a long time and are cpu intensive I'm getting 65C CPU Temp reported by inxi

Notes I've been able to Google for suggest 60C is the highest safe temp. Some notes suggest inxi reports temp higher than it really is.

Should I go after a better CPU Cooler ?

Thoughts?
Viva la Resistencia

bw123

Re: keeping CPU Cool

#2 Post by bw123 »

I think of course it depends on the cpu, but 65C (150F) is not that hot for my little Atom N450, on my system with no active cooling or fan at all it idles around 53-55C. When it runs up around 63-65 I get concerned a little, but it drops right back down when the load is removed. I can't say for sure if this would be safe for a very long period of time, but I imagine that it would be fine. I do set the alert temp at 67C with the little app I use (wmgtemp).

There is a lot of FUD about heat. In general I can tell you I have never damaged any cpu from running it hot, even on a system with a malfunctioning heatsink and fan, the cpu shut itself off before damage.
Last edited by bw123 on 2018-03-13 18:37, edited 1 time in total.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

65C sounds OK. Some machines can automatically throttle down the CPU speed if it exceeds a critical temperature, but that's usually 90-100C.
MX Linux packager and developer

bdtc1

#4 Post by bdtc1 »

It might be time to vacuum the vents, keyboard, etc.

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by Hallvor »

65C is not that hot. My laptop stops around 84C when I do heavy H265 encoding. :lol: I am guessing it throttles down a little when it reaches that point, because it never gets any hotter. Or maybe my fan just works.
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

mike acker

#6 Post by mike acker »

bdtc1 wrote:It might be time to vacuum the vents, keyboard, etc.
yup

I took the side cover out and hauled the box out to the garage. Setting the air compressor to 5 lp psi I blew the dirt off the fans and out of the CPU cooler. I also set the top and back exhaust fans to H from M. A bit more noise, but hey! We need to keep our cool, here !!
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 46.0C mobo: 28.0C
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 2170 sys-1: 1950
more better!!
Viva la Resistencia

NFT5
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#7 Post by NFT5 »

bdtc1 wrote:It might be time to vacuum the vents, keyboard, etc.
Agreed. In my shop we run machines in a very harsh environment with heat and dust just two of the contributing problems. I do blow out each machine fairly regularly but used to suffer from overheating problems regularly in summer with temperatures from 35C to 40C.

Most CPUs that I run are AMD, four and six core varieties and the factory coolers just weren't doing the job. I investigated alternatives, even as far as water cooling, but settled on Cooler Master TX3 EVO and they've solved the problem. For example, right now it is 16C and the CPU is at 27C. Later today we're heading for about 28C and the CPU is unlikely to exceed ambient. Even on hot days of up to 40C that remains the case. For an investment of about $150 I did 5 machines and I'm super happy. CPU temps down by more than 30C and even on hot days the fans only operate at low speed, so no longer sound like a 747 about to take off.

The dust we generate is sticky so I still need to clean on a regular schedule but I'm not as gentle as suggested above. The cases get blown out at up to 60psi, all internal components flooded with a contact cleaner and then blown dry again. Works a treat.