Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Gnome Evolution and OWA

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
krono86

Gnome Evolution and OWA

#1 Post by krono86 »

Hi guys!
My organization use an exchange mail server but it does not use EWS, only OWA, thus evolution-ews does not work.
How can I install evolution-mapi on my debian stretch if this package is deprecated?
Thank you.

Ivan

Wheelerof4te

Re: Gnome Evolution and OWA

#2 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Convince your boss to use Thunderbird instead, it's way more secure on outdated Windows PC's they use in enterprise.

krono86

#3 Post by krono86 »

Other ideas?

Ivan

Wheelerof4te

#4 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Yes, only one.
Use what OS you have to use for getting your pay and work done. In this case, it's Windows. Please be rational. We can only be so arrogant until our bellies start to grawl.

krono86

#5 Post by krono86 »

With all due respect, this is not an answer.
I'm talking about a functionality that was present, but it is not anymore.
I would expect that someone has a solution to share or, at least, he could tell me why the functionality is no longer available.
This is an user forum an not a support one, but I would appreciate users share not only their opinions but solutions too.
I'm sorry for disturb.

Ivan

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

Well exchange is not a standards compliant mail system and the (changing) specs are not published.
Microsoft does this so users are locked into using their proprietary clients as well.
Presumably the evolution devs got tired of trying to reverse engineer support for such a system at each MS change that breaks existing functionality.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

GarryRicketson

#7 Post by GarryRicketson »

Have you tried asking about this at the Evolution mailing list ?:
evolution-list@gnome.org

That is where I would start.

Kind of off topic but :
I agree, this is a big part of the problem.
by dilberts_left_nut » Microsoft does this so users are locked into using their proprietary clients as well.
How ever, there usually is some solution, and one can still just use Linux, nobody has to be forced to use MS products, in spite of the promoters that try to convince us that the only solution is to keep using them:
Post by Wheelerof4te » 2018-03-14 08:53
Yes, only one.
Use what OS you have to use for getting your pay and work done. In this case, it's Windows.
This attitude is what keeps people locked into using Microsoft and their proprietary clients as well.
Instead of trying to find a real solution, or make one for Linux, or othe Unix like systems, they try to brainwash us into believing we must use windows.
by krono86 » 2018-03-15 02:08
With all due respect, this is not an answer.
Agreed, and it is not a solution either.
Back on topic, there are some pretty skilled developers and programmers active on the mailing lists, many are dedicated to finding working solutions, that are for Linux, and provide us with ways to be able to use the OS we choose, instead of the MS Windows ,... nobody really needs Windows, some people just can not accept that.
"Use the OS you want to use, Linux or Unix like, if and when there is something it can not do, modify it , create a program or script that will do job" .

krono86

#8 Post by krono86 »

GarryRicketson wrote:Have you tried asking about this at the Evolution mailing list ?:
evolution-list@gnome.org

That is where I would start.
I will try!
GarryRicketson wrote: This attitude is what keeps people locked into using Microsoft and their proprietary clients as well.
Instead of trying to find a real solution, or make one for Linux, or othe Unix like systems, they try to brainwash us into believing we must use windows.
I completely agree with you!
GarryRicketson wrote: "Use the OS you want to use, Linux or Unix like, if and when there is something it can not do, modify it , create a program or script that will do job" .
Thanks a lot!

Ivan