Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Iso live package

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
zio_civettone

Iso live package

#1 Post by zio_civettone »

I have Debian 7 iso which has been customized and I'd like to install it.
At boot the only option which works it to run live cd; It exists option "install" but if I choose it nothing happens.
I don't know root password.
How can I find where is the problem?

kopper

Re: Iso live package

#2 Post by kopper »

Customized how? By whom? Your best bet is to contact the person who has created the ISO to troubleshoot its problems. Same person would be able to provide you the root password, although I'm not sure why you need that to install system. Normally you define the root password during the installation.

Another note is, that Debian 7 is old-old-stable, which LTS support will end in May. Without knowing your use case and customization on your ISO, you may achieve better results by installing latest version from official website.

Maybe if you provided some more details on what you're up to, someone could be able to give better advice.
Debian 10.2 Stable with i3
Secure your stuff: Securing Debian Manual
Don't break your stuff: Source List Management DontBreakDebian

zio_civettone

#3 Post by zio_civettone »

kopper wrote:Customized how? By whom? Your best bet is to contact the person who has created the ISO to troubleshoot its problems. Same person would be able to provide you the root password, although I'm not sure why you need that to install system.
I need to install system because in live environment I use user which has not in sudoers file so I cannot mount any use device where I can save my files.

Wheelerof4te

#4 Post by Wheelerof4te »

zio_civettone wrote:How can I find where is the problem?
Stop searching problems where there are none? Wheezy is horribly outdated (and is nearly EOL now) in 2018th, your best bet is current Stable, which is Stretch. Some might say even Stretch is way too outdated for 2018th.

bw123

#5 Post by bw123 »

zio_civettone wrote: I need to install system because in live environment I use user which has not in sudoers file so I cannot mount any use device where I can save my files.
The live user is in sudo group and has pretty much unlimited rights on debian live systems as far back as I can rememebr, so that one has been rigged in some way.

Wheelerof4te is right, get another installer.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

zio_civettone

#6 Post by zio_civettone »

bw123 wrote:
zio_civettone wrote: I need to install system because in live environment I use user which has not in sudoers file so I cannot mount any use device where I can save my files.
The live user is in sudo group and has pretty much unlimited rights on debian live systems as far back as I can rememebr, so that one has been rigged in some way.

Wheelerof4te is right, get another installer.
It's customised iso so users have no sudoers privileges

GarryRicketson

#7 Post by GarryRicketson »

Postby kopper » 2018-03-13 06:18
Customized how? By whom?
If you want to use Debian 7 wheezy, and have a "live CD", there is nothing wrong with that. Even though some people seem to think so.
How ever also, if you want help, you need to answer the questions asked, and give those details.
You don't do that. How was it customized ? Who did the customizing ? and Where did you get the "live" CD ? ,........ If we had that information, maybe some one will actually even know what password is being used on that particular live cd version.

===edit===
The only one that probably / maybe knows the passwords set would be the person that did the customizing.
You can change that by extracting the image,to a directory, then modify the files containing the passwords, and then burn a new image, with the new passwords you have put in. Or better no passwords. If you don't know how to do that, ask the person that "customized" it , ? If you don't know who did the customization, you probably should not use it , because you also do not know what all else they have done and it could install some pretty nasty things that you do not really want. Learn to use a tiny amount of logic.

==== Logic ====
What is the root password on a Debian 7 live CD
One of several hits:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=102937

The problem is, if it was modified , then the person that modified it may have changed it. Maybe they didn't. There are various passwords and user names were used in the Debian 7 live CDs, for me :
user = user
pass = live
works,... others used "root" "debian live" , "root" "debian".
On some I have had luck with "password", as the password as well.
Last edited by GarryRicketson on 2018-03-13 22:16, edited 2 times in total.

bw123

#8 Post by bw123 »

okay I might haved missed this part about saving files. It's a live system, so what files are you trying to save? Why do you think that installing a new system on a hard disk will save the files?

It sounds like you just want to do a plain install, instead of losing all your work after rebooting the live system?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

GarryRicketson

#9 Post by GarryRicketson »

Postby zio_civettone » I use user which has not in sudoers file so I cannot mount any use device where I can save my files.
It sounds to me like the OP wants to mount a external device, like a USB stick, so that then they can put the files they want to save on it, ... the problem though is one needs to be root or use sudo to mount the device.
The OP needs to be more clear, or maybe look for help on a forum in their language, If this system belongs to the OP, I fail to understand why they do not know the root password nor are able to use a user with sudo permissions,... ?
Some honesty and clear specific details go a long ways.
zio_civettone> It exists option "install" but if I choose it nothing happens.
Another guess, but maybe the person that customized the "live iso", disabled the install command, to avoid some un authorized person simply clicking "install", and then installing over the existing system. Normally on a Live Cd, (at least the ones I have) If I want to install , I select "install", and start the install, no need to be root , nor use sudo. Again, this can be modified, simply by extracting the files from the iso, look them over and change what is needs to be changed, of course it helps if one can communicate with the person that did the "customizing", and get 1st hand info on what was customized and changed.
kopper wrote:
Customized how? By whom?
It is interesting to me , how the OP avoids answering this, and that is really the "key" to solving the problem.

zio_civettone

#10 Post by zio_civettone »

System is available in school rooms and it's necessary to learn C++ (compile and linking stages)
However iso can be downloaded to your pc, so at home you can make exercises but I need to save my files so also to mount usb device.

zio_civettone

#11 Post by zio_civettone »

GarryRicketson wrote: The problem is, if it was modified , then the person that modified it may have changed it. Maybe they didn't.
I noted iso image has been built with squash file system so I'm interesting to uncompress it, change root password and build squash again so that I can use it on my pc.
What do you think?
I wish to change root password to mount device, change keyboard layout, and other system settings.
If I rebuild squash file system how can I create again the boot iso file? Is there specific software to creare bootable image?

Head_on_a_Stick

#12 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

zio_civettone wrote:If I rebuild squash file system how can I create again the boot iso file? Is there specific software to creare bootable image?
Guide here:

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic ... 536#p63536

Refined version of the image making function here:

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic ... 229#p64229

^ That also explains how to make the image work with UEFI.
deadbang

zio_civettone

#13 Post by zio_civettone »

This one solved my root password problem so I reconfigured iso package to get new customized Debian live.
Thanks

Now I have to understand because live cd menu cannot permit to install Debian.
I see this line on install.cfg file:

linux /install/vmlinuz
initrd /install/initrd.gz