Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

I think my graphics driver is broken

Need help with peripherals or devices?
lockenohr

I think my graphics driver is broken

#1 Post by lockenohr »

I installed debian 9 kde on my old desktop and found that kwin was really slow. When I switched compositing from OpenGL 2.0 to Xrender , the speed got up to mark. But according to [glxinfo | grep "version"][https://paste.kde.org/px9p6gcku] my graphics card does support opengl 2.0 & 3.0.

After that I found that my desktop was using llvmpipe, i.e. software rendering, according to glxinfo| grep "Device" even though xserver-xorg-video-intel is installed.

Code: Select all

$ glxinfo | grep "Device"
    Device: llvmpipe (LLVM 3.9, 128 bits) (0xffffffff)
What should I do ?

Here is my graphics card -

$ lspci -nn | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:2e42] (rev 03)                                        

bw123

Re: I think my graphics driver is broken

#2 Post by bw123 »

I spent plenty of time trying to get opengl 2.0 on stretch/plasma to work on two different machines, one intel integrated, one ati 512MB card that is flawless on jessie. Hardware rendering on both, I never have solved it. Some threads I read at the time suggested that opengl 2 suppport in mesa was dropped altogether, or dropped for specific cards. I'm using xrender for compositing, and it is pretty good. Opengl stuff on stretch(video, emulators, etc.) isn't the same quality as jessie on either machine, though it does work.

In my notes I have some stuff like this you can try

$ qdbus org.kde.KWin /Compositor suspend
$ qdbus org.kde.KWin /Compositor resume
$ qdbus org.kde.KWin /KWin supportInformation
Should spew out a lot of info, it did not help me solve a thing though, and if you report a bug they are probably going to say, "upgrade to newer version please" so I really think the whole thing is a washout on stretch.

also I have some env variables I tried but no luck

env variable controls kwin_x11 compositing

KWIN_COMPOSE=Q  # QPainter?
KWIN_COMPOSE=N  # None?
KWIN_COMPOSE=X  # XRender?
KWIN_COMPOSE=O2 # OpenGL2?
KWIN_COMPOSE=O2ES # OpenGL2?
KWIN_COMPOSE=O  # OpenGL?
KWIN_COMPOSE=O1  # OpenGL?
KWIN_DIRECT_GL=1  ?
One last thing...

$ mv ~/.config/kwinrc ~/.config/kwinrc.bak
$ kwin_x11 --replace
Examine the new kwinrc for what was detected.
Take these brother may it serve you well?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

shep

#3 Post by shep »

There are 2 kwin versions: kwin-wayland and kwin-x11. I do not use KDE5 but was looking at an all Qt desktop built around LXQt. I recall reading the kwin-waland is slower but is the default install as it is the direction the project is heading. You should be able to websearch on using kwin-x11.
https://packages.debian.org/stretch/kwin-wayland
https://packages.debian.org/stretch/kwin-x11

debiman

#4 Post by debiman »

lockenohr wrote:Here is my graphics card -

$ lspci -nn | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:2e42] (rev 03)                                        
please post this command instead:

lspci -k | grep -iEA5 'vga|3d|display'

bw123

#5 Post by bw123 »

I just read about a newer libdrm stack in stretch backports, but I haven't tried it yet. I think the right way to try it would be enable backports and then

# apt install -t stretch-backports libdrm-intel1

I use aptitude, so selecting the libdrm-intel1 and making sure it pulls in the new dependencies will be pretty easy. I'll probably try it after someone else does and lets me know what happens.
resigned by AI ChatGPT