Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved]May I ask for help with Wifi?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
TNKEG

[Solved]May I ask for help with Wifi?

#1 Post by TNKEG »

Hello, I have been struggling with an install for a couple of days.I have Googled endlessly and tried to solve my problem myself but I am just digging in deeper.I did an install of Debian 9.4 and the free driver thing has bitten me and I don't know how to solve it.The installer wanted a .bin file to run my wireless that was included in firmware-misc-nonfree.I downloaded it to usb on another computer and gave it to the installer as requested.The installer used the files and WIFI but when I rebooted no WIFI, that was just crazy. I thought maybe if I uninstalled NetworkManager and reinstalled that it would be OK but that just made it worse, I had to DL the .deb package to another computer and attempt reinstall of that package.This is where I find myself now, how would you proceed to fix this?
Last edited by TNKEG on 2018-03-26 03:48, edited 1 time in total.

stevepusser

Re: May I ask for help with Wifi?

#2 Post by stevepusser »

Try an install image which includes non-free firmware: https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unof ... -firmware/

Literally the first result when I Google "debian image nonfree firmware".
MX Linux packager and developer

TNKEG

#3 Post by TNKEG »

Thank you for your quick response.Your suggestion is the path I have taken to correct my issues this morning, hope it works.Much easier than fighting it I hope.I had no idea the free driver version would be so hard to work with.I have not experienced such with other distro's.As a beginner, it makes me wonder if there is anyone who can actually use the all free version.

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

TNKEG wrote:it makes me wonder if there is anyone who can actually use the all free version.
Yes of course there is, most Debian users actually give a damn about blobs and would be careful not to use such dodgy hardware.

Unfortunately there isn't much choice these days for wireless cards and the graphics situation is getting worse so some of us have to do the non-free Dance of Shame when installing Debian (just as you have done) :oops:

Remember: it's not a bug, it's a feature!

https://www.debian.org/social_contract
deadbang

TNKEG

#5 Post by TNKEG »

Gosh, bad as I hate to say I am still having issues even after the 9.4 firmware non-free.The installer used the wireless to complete the install but upon reboot the wireless device is not found.I was able to capture a screenshot.Reluctantly snooping in etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManger.conf , I found the line managed=false, set that to true.I see my wireless essid listed in etc/NetworkManager/system-connections.In etc/network/interfaces I see "auto lo iface lo inet loopback". Image

TNKEG

#6 Post by TNKEG »

Ok, I finally got it going.Apparently it is a bug in the privacy feature.I was able to edit the NetworkManager.conf and add
[device]
wifi.scan-rand-mac-address=no

I restarted NetworkManager and it works.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: [Solved]May I ask for help with Wifi?

#7 Post by sunrat »

That bug has bitten a few people. Apparently some wise person decided it is a feature.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

jibberjabber

Re: [Solved]May I ask for help with Wifi?

#8 Post by jibberjabber »

Based on the screen shot, it looks like a bug in photo bucket, not Debian or network manager. :mrgreen: