Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

difference between two kernel version shown by ‘uname -a'

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
jw915086731

difference between two kernel version shown by ‘uname -a'

#1 Post by jw915086731 »

I am using debian 9.4, the kernel version shown by 'uname -a' is different, what's the actual kernel version? What does '4.9.82-1+deb9u3' mean?

Code: Select all

Linux debian 4.9.0-6-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.82-1+deb9u3 (2018-03-02) x86_64 GNU/Linux
'apt-get source linux' can get the source code of current kernel, then I can get original kernel tar file and debian patch.

$ls     
linux-4.9.82                         linux_4.9.82-1+deb9u3.dsc
linux_4.9.82-1+deb9u3.debian.tar.xz  linux_4.9.82.orig.tar.xz

'linux_4.9.82-1+deb9u3.debian.tar.xz' contains many files, what are them used for? how to patch the it to 'linux_4.9.82.orig.tar.xz ' ?

'linux-4.9.82' is the kernel source folder outputted by 'apt-get source' command, which can be compiled to vmlinux. However, I usually can't debug the crash dump files with the vmlinux, as 'crash' command gives the error message: mismatch version. Should I download 'kernel 4.9.0' from kernel.org instead of 'linux-4.9.82' to debug my current running kernel ?

Segfault

Re: difference between two kernel version shown by ‘uname -a

#2 Post by Segfault »

I'll tell you how it works. First, there is a kernel image. It does not matter what it is called, you can name it bumbumohoh and as long as your booloader can find it it will boot. Now, uname -a tells you the internal name of running kernel. Another command, file, can tell you also names of not running kernels.

file /boot/*
To debug there has to be corresponding System.map. And indeed, if you are using modules they go to /lib/modules/<version>/. Optionally, there can be initrd which will supplement the kernel image with missing modules needed to boot your box. This is how it is done with generic kernels.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#3 Post by None1975 »

Check this.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

The debian "4.9.0-6" is a kernel ABI that's set in the debian/config/defines file. It doesn't change between security updates for the standard 4.9 kernel. I surmise that this is to make sure that the security updates are seen as updates by apt instead of entirely different kernels.

As for what all those files in the debian folder are for, that is a rather complicated topic. Basically, they are instructions files as to how to patch, configure, build, and package the kernel.
MX Linux packager and developer