Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Games LiveCD

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
GMouse

Games LiveCD

#1 Post by GMouse »

I had an idea here a few moments ago. Put together a live CD that's small enough to be loaded completely to memory for any reasonably modern system that includes some multiplayer games. The idea is to take the disc to a LAN party, get everyone to boot off of it, and do some multiplayer with those games. I imagine that it's a great way to get everyone running the same version of the same games, but also to stealthily introduce Linux to some people.

My current plan is to grab Slax and add some game modules to it, as it is a rather small image to begin with and adding modules to it is rather simple. Although, I'd like to have the disc as stripped down as possible to save on the memory footprint.

Any ideas or input?

thamarok

#2 Post by thamarok »

That would be slow as hell... on my machine, these LiveCD's perform quite badly:

SystemRescueCd - Slow
KNOPPIX - Slow
Debian 4.0 LiveCD - Slow
Ubuntu 7.04 LiveCD - Very slow!
Damn Small Linux - Very Slow!

SystemRecueCd performs the "fastest" from the above mentioned LiveCD's on my machine, loading a game from it would be so slow that gaming wouldn't be fun anymore.. If you wanna LAN party, get a Windows PC and some good games and get a ticket to Sweden for Dreamhack.. Linux + LAN Party = Never going to happen (unless you use Cedega to play Windows games)

GMouse

#3 Post by GMouse »

Yeah, I know the sad state of Linux gaming, having used Windows for some heavy gaming several years in advance of switching. I miss much of the gaming, but have been able to tide myself over with Wesnoth, Neverwinter Nights, and some Unreal Tournament.

I'm hoping that with the growing share of Linux users, game developers and publishers will begin to take more notice of us.

thamarok

#4 Post by thamarok »

Windows is the gaming platform and it has been that for many years, the real big game companies are just not interested in "some crap called Linux". This has been like this for many years, and it will be like this. Game companies look for the latest and greatest (DirectX 10); What does Linux have? Shitty SDL and OpenGL which bugs around even with glxgears.

jml

#5 Post by jml »

Its not WoW or Doom, but there was a Games-Knoppic disc published a few years ago that is still available for download. Here is a link to their rather sparten web page. According to this site, the developers are working on a new version to be based on Knoppix 5.11.

http://www.games-knoppix.org/

Joe
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with catsup.

dmn_clown

#6 Post by dmn_clown »

jml wrote:Its not WoW or Doom, but there was a Games-Knoppic disc published a few years ago that is still available for download. Here is a link to their rather sparten web page. According to this site, the developers are working on a new version to be based on Knoppix 5.11.

http://www.games-knoppix.org/

Joe
PC-Linux OS has a game liveDVD http://www.pclinuxonline.com/wiki/GamesDvd

Though I would imagine that 75 FPS on Ultra settings in Quake 4 is out of the question.

Dargor

#7 Post by Dargor »

Well i think it's a cool idea.
Sure your not going to fit any big games on there, so the latest and greatest (coming in GB's now day's) are out of the question.
Save yourself the humility and Don't! show it to a bunch of windows fags who's parents buy them the latest and greatest every 5 min's, show it to people who can respect and enjoy a game that doesn't have pixel shading 2.0.

thamarok

#8 Post by thamarok »

Shader Model 4.0 technology is now in DirectX 10; I would like to see how the Linux gaming technologies will react to that one :)

sinical

#9 Post by sinical »

Dargor wrote:show it to people who can respect and enjoy a game that doesn't have pixel shading 2.0.
Whats pixel shading?
Every cloud has a silver lining, except for the mushroom shaped ones, which have a lining of Strontium 90.
---------------------------------------------
umop apisdn

dmn_clown

#11 Post by dmn_clown »

thamarok wrote:Shader Model 4.0 technology is now in DirectX 10; I would like to see how the Linux gaming technologies will react to that one :)
Considering how long it has taken for most of the gaming houses to adopt Shader Model 2.0, widespread 4.0 adoption is years away.

thamarok

#12 Post by thamarok »

dmn_clown wrote:
thamarok wrote:Shader Model 4.0 technology is now in DirectX 10; I would like to see how the Linux gaming technologies will react to that one :)
Considering how long it has taken for most of the gaming houses to adopt Shader Model 2.0, widespread 4.0 adoption is years away.
So? TransGaming just released Cedega with full Shader Model 2.0 support, so even though the spread of Shader Model 4.0 is slow, getting the same experience on Linux can take years longer.

dmn_clown

#13 Post by dmn_clown »

thamarok wrote:So? TransGaming just released Cedega with full Shader Model 2.0 support, so even though the spread of Shader Model 4.0 is slow, getting the same experience on Linux can take years longer.
LOL! Only if you rely on transgaming for your games. Vanilla wine has had SM 2.0 support for a while now as evidenced by TES: Oblivion.

thamarok

#14 Post by thamarok »

dmn_clown wrote:
thamarok wrote:So? TransGaming just released Cedega with full Shader Model 2.0 support, so even though the spread of Shader Model 4.0 is slow, getting the same experience on Linux can take years longer.
LOL! Only if you rely on transgaming for your games. Vanilla wine has had SM 2.0 support for a while now as evidenced by TES: Oblivion.
Let me laugh!! Only with Cedega 6.0 (the newest one which has full Pixel Shader 2.0 support) I am able to play Devil May Cry 3 and Chaos Legion. With vanilla Wine and Wine + DirectX9 patches I wasn't able to play those.

dmn_clown

#15 Post by dmn_clown »

thamarok wrote:Let me laugh!! Only with Cedega 6.0 (the newest one which has full Pixel Shader 2.0 support) I am able to play Devil May Cry 3 and Chaos Legion. With vanilla Wine and Wine + DirectX9 patches I wasn't able to play those.
But can you play Icewind Dale?

WRT DX10 games on GNU/Linux the Alky Project shows far more promise than Transgaming's product.

thamarok

#16 Post by thamarok »

dmn_clown wrote:But can you play Icewind Dale?

WRT DX10 games on GNU/Linux the Alky Project shows far more promise than Transgaming's product.
Haven't tried to play Icewind Dale with Cedega, but the results for its compatibility look promising: http://cedega.com/gamesdb/ratings/view. ... me_id=2373

That Alky Project seems to be a joke! No compatibility tables, the forum is like a desert and there is very little information about the program and it seems as if they would convert the Windows game to native which is far different than Cedega.

I will stay with Cedega; I don't want to wait weeks to get a native version of my favorite games.