Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

I accidentally erased etc/bluetooth and all the files in it.

Need help with peripherals or devices?
nicoreino

I accidentally erased etc/bluetooth and all the files in it.

#1 Post by nicoreino »

Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum and also new to Debian. I used Ubuntu for a long time, but I never used the terminal except for the most basic stuff, therefore I'm a complete noob. So, I was trying to get my bluetooth to detect a device, I tried following an advice from askubuntu that said this

Try the following

sudo mv /etc/bluetooth /etc/bluetooth.backup

sudo apt-get install --reinstall bluez

After a reboot check the issue. The /etc/bluetooth directory should be empty now.

If this does not work for you, just move back the bluetoth.backup directory to it's original place.

(or)

Missing Firm-ware could also be an issue and you can fix it with the command

sudo apt-get install linux-firmware

Hope this helps!
It didn't work and when I tried moving the files back from etc/bluetooth.backup to etc/bluetooth, etc/bluetooth became a text file instead of a folder, I don't know why. So now I have lost my etc/bluetooth folder with all the files in it. Is there anyway to get it back?

Thanks in advance!

bigrigdriver

Re: I accidentally erased etc/bluetooth and all the files in

#2 Post by bigrigdriver »

My suggestion is to return your system to the state it was in before you installed bluetooth. By that, I mean purge any bluetooth-relevant packages you installed. In Synaptic, I find four that you may have installed: blueman, bluemon, bluetooth, and bluez.
Step 1) As root, run

Code: Select all

apt-get purge blueman bluemon bluetooth bluez
or

apt-get remove --purge blueman bluemon bluetooth bluez
Step 2)

apt-get update
Step 3)

apt-get upgrade
Step 4)

apt-get install blueman bluemon bluetooty bluez
Use only the package names which you actually have installed.
Then you will need to configure bluetooth, pairing devices, etc.
Registered GNU/Linux user #170078

Go ask google before you ask on these boards.

It it isn't broken, Tweak It !!!

pylkko

#3 Post by pylkko »

At this point, you should restore from your backup, but considering that you 1) are ready to follow random advice on the internet from people who most likely do not know what your problem is at all and 2) are willing to use software on your computer that can destroy your entire system without so much as reading the manual - let me just guess, you do not have a backup. You could try to insert more commands into the computer based on what some one you do not know says on the internet. What kind of chances at success do you expect to have? So, then there is the other option that will have better chances. Yes that's right: reinstall.

After you have reinstalled and your bluetooth issue has not gone away, you should write a detailed description of your problem here and if make sure you read the "what we expect you have done so far" thread, the chances are significantly more higher that you will get the issue solved.

Good luck

debiman

#4 Post by debiman »

nicoreino wrote:I tried moving the files back from etc/bluetooth.backup to etc/bluetooth, etc/bluetooth became a text file instead of a folder, I don't know why.
this could be a permissions issue. i hope you haven't deleted that file yet.
please post:

sudo ls -l /etc/bluetooth

nicoreino

#5 Post by nicoreino »

Hello to everyone. First of all, I wanted to say sorry for not answering before, I had ton of work these weeks and I just couldn't pay attention to this. Thank you all for all your replies. So I ended up reinstalling Debian 9 with Gnome and I still can't get my bluetooth device to recognise anything. So we're back to the original problem.

pylkko

#6 Post by pylkko »

After you have reinstalled and your bluetooth issue has not gone away, you should write a detailed description of your problem here and if make sure you read the "what we expect you have done so far" thread, the chances are significantly more higher that you will get the issue solved.

Please describe:
  • what commands you are giving to your coputer, what software you are using.
  • what you expect to happen
  • what actually happens and howthis differs from what you expect.
  • log output from your attempts
If you do not understand what these mean, feel free to ask.

pylkko

#7 Post by pylkko »

wizard10000 wrote:

apt-get install --reinstall -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confmiss" blueman bluemon bluetooth bluez
I wonder why you are suggesting that if he just said that he reinstalled with GNOME (which has it's own bluetooth manager etc)?