Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Strange dependencies - why?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
geobeck

Strange dependencies - why?

#1 Post by geobeck »

I'm trying to remove software I'm never going to use, but the system seems to insist that I need it.

For example, if I tell Synaptic to completely remove Thunderbird, it wants to install Evolution. If I tell it to remove Pidgin, it wants to remove the entire Cinnamon desktop!

How do I remove superfluous software without adding more stuff I don't need, and without removing my entire desktop environment?

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Strange dependencies - why?

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=104157

EDIT: I would recommend installing exactly what you want (with no metapackages at all) manually from a bare netinstall with everything except "standard system utilities" unchecked in tasksel.
deadbang

geobeck

#3 Post by geobeck »

Thanks. I'm going to dig around and see what configuration I can make work.

It's not like I don't have the space; I just don't want a system padded with a bunch of stuff I'm not going to use.

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

geobeck wrote:I just don't want a system padded with a bunch of stuff I'm not going to use.
Oh I quite understand — perhaps sir might also be interested in apt's --no-install-recommends flag? :mrgreen:

See also https://superuser.com/questions/615565/ ... recommends
deadbang

Bulkley

#5 Post by Bulkley »

HOWTO: Speeding up Debian

This old thread has lots of tips for cleaning up Debian. Read the whole thread and take notes before stabbing in the dark.

geobeck

#6 Post by geobeck »

Thanks for the great suggestions. That speed-up thread contains a lot more than I'll probably do, but it's got some great individual tips, in particular the /etc/hosts ad-blocker.

SlidingHorn

#7 Post by SlidingHorn »

Bulkley wrote:HOWTO: Speeding up Debian

This old thread has lots of tips for cleaning up Debian. Read the whole thread and take notes before stabbing in the dark.
This....this is beautiful. :D

Wheelerof4te

#8 Post by Wheelerof4te »

^That guide is quite old and many things have changed from then. Mainly, we have systemd now.

Use netinstall image as H.o.a.S suggested.
Install minimal system by leaving only standard system utilities checked. Then, at first CLI boot, install Cinnamon desktop first.

Code: Select all

apt install cinnamon
Make sure to delete everything in /etc/network/interfaces before rebooting.

Code: Select all

nano /etc/network/interfaces
reboot
Now you have a minimal Cinnamon install from where you can add anything you need.
Same thing with GNOME (using gnome-core) and KDE (kde-plasma-desktop).