Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Hardrive's data lost after battery discharge

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
OrionB

Hardrive's data lost after battery discharge

#1 Post by OrionB »

Hello,

I have installed Debian last summer with a LVM on my disk. Two days ago, I put my PC in standby. Today I tryed to wake up my pc, but it was not anymore in standby. I think the battery discharged yesterday and it turned off. I charged my PC during today's night.
My problem is that, when I tryed to turn it on today, the bios didn't want to boot on the hardrive. Indeed, I tryed to boot a Debian USB live and in Gparted, I saw that my disk was said to be "unallocated"...
I'm stuck and I don't know what to do, could someone help me ?
Thank you
Orionb

arzgi

Re: Hardrive's data lost after battery discharge

#2 Post by arzgi »

Seems bios has gone to default settings, check there hard disk configuration.

OrionB

#3 Post by OrionB »

Hello,
Thank you for your answer. My bios indicates me that it doesn't detect any file system...
Do you think that I have lost all my data ?...

OrionB

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

It's a good thing you had all the important data backed up, right?
MX Linux packager and developer

jibberjabber

#5 Post by jibberjabber »

Are you saying you don't make and keep backups ? The data must not have been very important if that is the case. Things can happen, we never know, maybe a power failure, or surge, hard disks fail, system admins make mistakes, Batteries go dead,etc,.... that is why most people make backups every so often, regularly on commercial production servers, where the data is important, even more so because it may belong to others that are using the server.
But even on my home PC, I make and keep backups , I keep them on separate storage devices, one never knows what can happen.
With that said,
by OrionB »I think the battery discharged yesterday and it turned off. I charged my PC during today's night.
The data probably is still there, and recoverable, you have not given any details, but even when a power failure has left me with a system that won't boot, I have been able to get access to the files,etc with a external device, IE :
Live CD, or usb, with some tools on it, and usually actually been able to restore
the boot file system, so it boots again.
written by HelpBot#8453
Alias jibberjabber
I am sorry, my english is not that good, and I sometimes have other problems,so my response might not be perfect.
N5RLX > "Jibber jabber ,all day and all night, jibber jabber jibber jabber"

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

I would suggest that the OP try booting from a Live DVD or USB to see if that session can see the disk. That said, disks have been known to fail suddenly for no apparent reason, or due to power surges.
MX Linux packager and developer

OrionB

#7 Post by OrionB »

Hello,
Thanks for your answers. No, I don't have any backup of my last months data. I know that I should have but, no I don't.
As said in my first message, I have tryed to boot on a Debian live CD but gparted indicates me that the disk is unallocated; for according to gparted right now, there is no partion on my disk... The disk should have at least two partitions: one for boot, an other encrypted with a whole Debian distribution on it.
Do someone has an idea for what I could do to recover my data?

Thanks
OrionB