Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Install .deb file

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
pironman

Install .deb file

#1 Post by pironman »

Hello to everyone.
I'm new to the linux world (few months), I use debian and I always install program via repository.
Now, I want to install BRL-CAD, that is not in the repo. In the official website, I can download source code or .deb file.
I have no idea on how to install it, anyone can help me?

Thank you

mattia

bw123

Re: Install .deb file

#2 Post by bw123 »

pironman wrote:Hello to everyone.
I'm new to the linux world (few months), I use debian and I always install program via repository.
Now, I want to install BRL-CAD, that is not in the repo. In the official website, I can download source code or .deb file.
I have no idea on how to install it, anyone can help me?

Thank you

mattia
Welcome to the forum. Take your time and read a little about package management here https://wiki.debian.org/PackageManagement

I think a lot of people use gdebi for things like this, but also dpkg sometimes. I haven't installed the BRL-CAD app, so I'm not sure which I would use. There might be some help at the page where the .deb is provided? Make sure it is a debian deb for debian stretch.
https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
resigned by AI ChatGPT

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by sunrat »

If you're really lucky the .deb file will install. It doesn't say on the website exactly which distro it's intended for so it's possible it may have missing dependencies or just not work.
To install a .deb file , open a terminal in the directory which contains the file, switch to root and :

Code: Select all

apt install ./<filename>.deb
or you can use gdebi if it is installed:

gdebi <filename>.deb
Replace <filename> with the actual name.

Snap @bw123 :mrgreen:
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

pironman

#4 Post by pironman »

Thank you for yours answer.
If you say that install a .deb may be dangerous, I can compile the source.
Here i found an "hot to":

https://brlcad.org/wiki/Compiling

But I have some question. When I download the tar.bz2 file, I leave it in "download" directory?
I must create some directory, other than .build that the How to say?

Maybe these things are obvious for you, but not for me I'm sorry

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

Compiling from source can get a lot more involved and technical than most beginners are willing to tackle. They are rarely as simple as "configure, make, make install". If you can find debianized source and build your own debs with the Debian tools, that actually takes much less expertise.

I would recommend testing out the deb first. The gdebi or apt method won't let you install an incompatible package.
MX Linux packager and developer

Chrisdb

#6 Post by Chrisdb »

Maybe you can take a look at virtual systems like chroot ....
I'm also new to this concept, but maybe someone else can help you out.

extract from debian wiki

Another strategy for using software not available in Debian stable is to run the software in a virtual Debian system contained in its on directory or image file. This allows software to be installed on the virtual Debian system without having any effect on the primary, or host, Debian system running your computer.

Debian includes a variety of tools that provide varying degrees of isolation from the host operating system. Some include:

- Schroot
- LXC
- gnome-boxes
- libvirt and KVM
- systemd-container package for the systemd-nspawn and machinectl container commands

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

I checked out the 64-bit deb, and it will not install in Stretch, since it depends on libpng12-0, which is not in Stretch.

You can install that package from Jessie safely, and you can then install the deb, which will use up 725 MB on your root partition. It looks like you run the Archer app for the CAD...it installs a lot of .desktop files.
MX Linux packager and developer